Home Improvement

Palum

what Suineg set it to
And I've lived in multiple 2 story house/apartments/condos in the US South (Humidity is not your friend) that only had 1 AC unit. In fact, I've never had 2 units that one of them wasn't sticking out a window
Did they have furnaces as well? Maybe that makes the difference in air ducting.

Vinen

God is dead
That seems low by quite a lot. HVAC vendors don't even list single units that can cool a 5600 square foot house. I have a 4-ton for a 2200 sq ft place (Zone 2).

View attachment 490148

Yep. 5600 square feet is def 2+ units likely 3. Having 1 unit for that just seems dumb. So much unnecessary cooling.

I'm getting a 4ton installed next week (replacement for deadge unit) for about 2000 square feet. Getting a Heat pump as well since it was an option that just seems worth it since my Furnace is ancient as fuck.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Depends on if it's a finished or unfinished basement? When I lived up north, we had a regular door "sealing" off our unfinished basements. I don't think there were any registers in the basement, or if there were, it was only one or two for the whole area. I distinctly remember the sump pump in one house starting to freeze over, during one particular cold spell.

So if someone started off with an unfinished basement, then finished it out themselves, I could see how they may have forgot to upgrade the AC.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Depends on if it's a finished or unfinished basement? When I lived up north, we had a regular door "sealing" off our unfinished basements. I don't think there were any registers in the basement, or if there were, it was only one or two for the whole area. I distinctly remember the sump pump in one house starting to freeze over, during one particular cold spell.

So if someone started off with an unfinished basement, then finished it out themselves, I could see how they may have forgot to upgrade the AC.
Something like that is a good candidate for a ductless unit.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Something like that is a good candidate for a ductless unit.
yea i'm pre planning my move back to jersey in a few years and every house i looked at (and lived in) is all window units. i would def ripout all the window units (they would probably just take em anyway, ha) do a multi-zone config

especially since they'll act like heatpumps in the winter too and jersey is all baseboard heating or worse fucking steam boiler

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
yea i'm pre planning my move back to jersey in a few years and every house i looked at (and lived in) is all window units. i would def ripout all the window units (they would probably just take em anyway, ha) do a multi-zone config

especially since they'll act like heatpumps in the winter too and jersey is all baseboard heating or worse fucking steam boiler

This is why I got the heat pump. I'm on Gas Boiler with forced hot water heating. I'm going to just run that the minimum this winter and try and leverage the heat pump as much as possible.

• 1Like

Burns

I really want to try geothermal but it has a huge upfront cost and not many people know how to do it in Texas (it can work, supposedly, but the engineering is a bit different than up north).

Explanation for anyone not sure about how they work, from University of Illinois Energy/Nuclear Engineering Professor:

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I really want to try geothermal but it has a huge upfront cost and not many people know how to do it in Texas.

Explanation for anyone not sure about how they work, from University of Illinois Energy/Nuclear Professor:
So far as I've seen it's basically only cost effective in long term homes and with geological conditions that are extremely predictable.

Burns

So far as I've seen it's basically only cost effective in long term homes and with geological conditions that are extremely predictable.
I was figuring, on a new house build on an empty piece of property, if you have the wells for it drilled at the same time you are having a water well drilled (using the same company), then it would make the math work out much better, but never actually priced it out.

It's also supposed to be a much simpler system, to where I may even be able to do most repairs, which is worth some cost consideration.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I was figuring, on a new house build on an empty piece of property, if you have the wells for it drilled at the same time you are having a water well drilled (using the same company), then it would make the math work out much better, but never actually priced it out.

It's also supposed to be a much simpler system, to where I may even be able to do most repairs, which is worth some cost consideration.
doesn't texas land shift a lot? i remember watching a youtube and texas foundations need to be super rebarred and even strapped in, or they'll snap crackle and pop

Burns

doesn't texas land shift a lot? i remember watching a youtube and texas foundations need to be super rebarred and even strapped in, or they'll snap crackle and pop
The clay expands and contracts a lot, but there are plenty of people using water wells, so dunno how a well for geothermal would be any different.

Vinen

God is dead
People actually have systems to water the clay near their foundation or something IIRC?

Siliconemelons

Depending on the severity they can do this drill and spray stuff into the holes/termite tunnels

I have been doing a 5 die pattern of drill holes on any pin-hole knock out hole I see and spray the 3M foam termicide.

I can't really get in my attic is the problem but I am going to buy some spray and try and get up there this weekend.

They seem localized to a corner of my bedroom and move a bit each time I spray. They tend to reappear in a few weeks after the foam.

There are some local 'no tent' guys with genuntees. But if they are a few K$ and tenting is not much more... May just tent I suppose.

I want to see what I can see if I can get in my attic.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have been doing a 5 die pattern of drill holes on any pin-hole knock out hole I see and spray the 3M foam termicide.

I can't really get in my attic is the problem but I am going to buy some spray and try and get up there this weekend.

They seem localized to a corner of my bedroom and move a bit each time I spray. They tend to reappear in a few weeks after the foam.

There are some local 'no tent' guys with genuntees. But if they are a few K$ and tenting is not much more... May just tent I suppose.

I want to see what I can see if I can get in my attic.
idk about directly killing termites, (even tho talstar says termites) but i have seemingly killed entire colonies of bugs, mosquitoes, ants, in my backyard w/ talstar p (i got something else but same ingredients) and a ryobi fogger

the reason i got the fogger instead of just pump spraying is cuz they said the fogger will get a really good area

do i recommend the ryobi fogger? seemed to work great, i'm sure other foggers work fine too but i'm obviously a ryobi slut cuz of the batteries

i imagine you can just try to spray into the attic and hope the mist travels far, if the attic is the same as my garage attic where there is no access, seems to be about the best way to reach everywhere

i have seen reviews on this, that turns a leaf blower into a fogger too
639fb5824f8f41177b9a4ada2a3373bd.png

it looked too cumbersome for my use, but it might work for you to get the whole attic

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

110$ + the killer juice is worth it to me. Just let it run in the attic.

I have an attic access in my room, we have a little hallway that has a bifold door closet, then the bathroom and walk-in closet - there is an attic access there - but its close to where the roof eves drop down and there is a large AC duct work so it is hard to get over - my AC ducts are duct-board not flex tube so its large. But i could just set up the fogger up there and it is above the room where there are the buggies.

I do have soffits with perforated holes so the fog will escape that- but I figure there would be a decent back pressure to allow the fog to do some help... also I have old blown in insulation...so that is also in the way.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We had termites at my old house. As it was explained to me, termites have to leave your house and return to the colony so they drilled all around my house every 3-6 feet and pump chemicals into the ground. Basically acts as a barrier. Nothing can get past it and nothing inside can get out, so after a year or two they will all die. Worked for us. Cost about $1500 or so if I remember, maybe less. But this was 10 years ago so I’m sure it double that now.

• 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I'm now coming to the end of year two of my lawn restoration. It wasn't at disaster level yet but a few problems, bug damage, dead spots, weeds like nutsedge that weren't controlled by the lawn company, shitty cheap contractor grass strains, bad irrigation, compacted soil, etc. When I bought it they had a shitty old sprinkler controller which meant the irrigated area was watered daily. Consequently the roots were very shallow.

Last year I had the lawn chemical people do plug aeration and overseed in the fall. One back area I had regraded and hydroseeded. The overseeding did nothing noteworthy, the hydroseeding had tons of weeds but thinned out a lot the first winter. Thankfully they did get lime every year so pH wasn't terrible.

This year I treated got cinch bugs earlier (late April) and had basically zero bug damage finally. I tried Scott's seed in the spring in to patch a few areas (it was in sale), and it was very spotty. I've also slowly been acquiring equipment to eventually wind down the chemical service that doesn't do a great job for the price.

I decided one last hurrah before I consider more drastic measures. I detached the whole yard, spread some 50/50 in a few areas where the soil was a bit lacking nutrients and then I over/reseeded the lawn with Jonathan Green Black Beauty Ultra seed. I covered any bare area with straw topcoat.

The new seed is coming in very well, so I think they lawn is going to actually bounce back. My plan is to dethatch, aerate and overseed with BBU every year for a few more years and let the shitty 30 year old shallow root strains get outcompeted. I know my side yard was almost 100% fine fescue, so I'm hoping the KBG will repair minor bare spots on it's own.

Assuming everything comes in strong next spring, I'll add a soil conditioner treatment and do it all again, will be trying moss killer in a few shady areas as well.

Really sucks to have to do all this but I'm hoping if I can get it recovered nicely I can cut back on treatment cycle once the lawn is healthy and just do a basic 4+bug treatment cycle and drop the lawn service to irrigation open and close. Bleh.