Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
In uber's defense, I'd not use LVP, either. There are great options, I don't like Vinyl.

And your PEX work is fine. He's being a bitch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I specifically chose this product because it is waterproof. It is not a laminate which tend to only be "water resistant."

I really like LVP for it's durability with kids, dogs etc & it's low maintenance. As an Appraiser I can honestly say it is widely accepted & often preferred in this market.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
We put down lvp in a rental kitchen and its holding up well, some joints separated though

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I finished the insulation, electrical and flooring myself. I am hiring out the drywall work.

KikFSIa.jpg

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
nice, would they just do the drywall finishing? putting the actual stuff up is not that hard, its just doing the "proper" edge stuff that's annoying.

I went that route when I did my basement and put it up myself but hired out the mudding and taping. You are right it isn't that tough to DIY but honestly I'm lazy and old and have a bad back. They are using 12' sheets and that stuff is heavy. If I was 10 years younger I'd have gone DIY...

• 1Like

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I went that route when I did my basement and put it up myself but hired out the mudding and taping. You are right it isn't that tough to DIY but honestly I'm lazy and old and have a bad back. They are using 12' sheets and that stuff is heavy. If I was 10 years younger I'd have gone DIY...

I have a drywall guy I really like and the only thing i contribute is calcing materials and having them in place and picking up anything he needs while hes working. It's been a good system so far

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

You can rent panel lifts. I have solo'd many a small job using one.

spin_prod_814762712

Pros man handle 12ft-ers ezpz. Double layer 3/4in 12s for recording studios and theaters gets old fast.

Pro-tip, asshole in the picture has the sheet racked wrong way facing out.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I finished the insulation, electrical and flooring myself. I am hiring out the drywall work.

View attachment 132536

Damn man. You did the hard work and are hiring out the simple stuff?

**and then I read further down...understandable if you have an injury. What's the purpose of that room? The flooring looks like it's a garage.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn man. You did the hard work and are hiring out the simple stuff?

**and then I read further down...understandable if you have an injury. What's the purpose of that room? The flooring looks like it's a garage.

Storage and workshop addition off the back of the garage.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Does felling and cutting wood count as a home project? I couldn't even find the other thread where this post should have gone(thought we had a home maintenance thread?), so apologies for off topic.

Had a old silver maple growing close to the house and septic tank, so paid someone to fell it. We have a fire pit, so we didn't pay them to remove the wood. They broke it down most of the way, but not all the way. I need a chainsaw to cut down some other trees, so this is the perfect excuse to go buy one. I'm mostly set on a corded electric, either a 16" Makita, or a 18" Oregon that has a nifty self-sharpening feature.

I'm a little scared from a safety standpoint though. I've never used a chainsaw before and the "what ifs" are worrying me. I plan on buying safety glasses, hard hat, leather work gloves, and steel toed boots. But should I also pickup up those pants and sleeves that protect specifically against chainsaws by instantly jamming the chain with a bunch of threads? Or is that over doing it?

Also not sure what's a good way to "practice" with a chainsaw.