Home Security systems....

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Everyone of my friends garages is like this, either it's a shitty attic for storage or a really ghetto man cave. How shitty is it? some garages (if you just take their car to goto movies, etc) they have to pull out first, then you can enter cuz of the weird ass jenga they do to store shit, you can't open the back doors.

I bet you everyone has a microwave, yup a microwave, why? cuz they keep that shit around, god knows why. (oh we're gonna give it to goodwill soon, or just in case)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Garages that are barely wide enough for the cars are a pet peeve of mine because even when there is no room people still try to store shit in them. I know so many people that have shit piled all down the center of their 2-car garage with zero extra space in it so you have to walk sideways to get to the door and then it will barely open wide enough to get in. I don't have a garage but if I build one I guarantee that shit will be at least 20 feet wider and longer than the space it takes to park the cars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah my next house will have a 3 car garage despite only owning 2 cars. It gives a more logical space to store crap in the garage that doesn't interfere with the parking arrangement.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Those are neat for stuff you nearly never use. Decorations and things like that you only need once a year.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Garages that are barely wide enough for the cars are a pet peeve of mine because even when there is no room people still try to store shit in them. I know so many people that have shit piled all down the center of their 2-car garage with zero extra space in it so you have to walk sideways to get to the door and then it will barely open wide enough to get in. I don't have a garage but if I build one I guarantee that shit will be at least 20 feet wider and longer than the space it takes to park the cars.
Yea I bought a 2 car garage... my GF was excited until I parked my Mustang in there and she goes 'so yea, this is really only a 1 car garage if you want to get in and out huh?' I guess the median dimensions for cars in the 1980s was 4x8 or something.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My sister works/worked for a company that monitored and installed security systems with about 3/4 business and 1/4 residental, they're all over parts of the south now. Somehow she wound up with some equity in the company anyway.. She just built a new house. She didn't have a system installed because she thought it was a waste. Told me what I really needed to know when she didn't even have it put it while building at what I assume was a big discount.

The only thing I have done in the past is upgrade the actual door. If someone wants in they won't mess with the lock, they'll just kick the door in. So I have upgraded the jambs so the jamb doesn't bust when someone kicks it. But I am away from home a decent amount and one location is pretty rural.

A friend of mine lived in the suburbs, houses everywhere etc..They backed a truck up to his house and parked in the driveway. It had a plasma cutter, generator, compressor etc...on it and I assume people thought it was a worker doing something. They went right thru a window and cut the top off his gun safe. Apparently people saw it and didn't think anything of it.

Borzak

Every home in my neighborhood has a 2 car garage yet the street is still littered with cars. I also don't get it.
Here they are big on 2 car garages attached to houses with 6 bedrooms. Then people park in the street cause they have 2 kids that also drive. Annoys the shit out of me.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
A friend of mine lived in the suburbs, houses everywhere etc..They backed a truck up to his house and parked in the driveway. It had a plasma cutter, generator, compressor etc...on it and I assume people thought it was a worker doing something. They went right thru a window and cut the top off his gun safe. Apparently people saw it and didn't think anything of it.
aren't your neighbors (which is why you still have to be friendly with those pieces of shit, if they are) seemingly your major line of defense? Like a real neighbor would go "hmm jon didn't mention anything about hiring a contractor when i passed by his house this week, i wonder whats up?"

I mean that's why i'm doing stupid shit like BBQ for the 3 houses around me this weekend, so they know who the fuck i am, and if some mexican comes to my house... it probably isn't a housecall.

Also what you have to do is replace each and every door screw w/ a 3in screw, so that it actually bites into the door frame. Not just the 2 screws that hold the dead bolt in place, but the door hinges as well.

That's the first thing i did when i moved into my apt.

Also i bought this and installed it
Amazon.com : Cardinal Gates Door Guardian, White : Indoor Safety Gates : Baby

i have a shared basement, that also leads to the outside w/ a pretty puny door and wasn't comfortable w/ the pathetic skeleton lock provide or the crappy little slide lock drilled on it.

W/ that thing installed, pretty impossible to break down the door.

Borzak

Nosy neighbors are a good thing I guess. The truck mentioned I think looked a lot like a service truck doing something.

Even a door hinge screwed in with lag screws it's not that hard to break the jam down considering it's nothing more than a pair of 2x4's sideways and attached to a giant flat surface. Of couse this only applies to someone who REALLY wants in.

The one house I lived at that I "uparmored" wasn't visible from the road. Not a big crime area but you do have someone who will rip off a tractor or other easily moved piece of equipment and didn't want them getting adveturesome if they tried.

Anything of value I don't want stolen and not easily replaced sits in my gun safe. Possibly not an option for a lot of people.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Upgrades front door.

Has 8 foot french door around back. Can't explain that!

Anyway, on a more serious note it really depends where you live. Also, with bump keys and similar tools meant to open a door without forced entry, I wonder how hard it would be to convince police and your insurance company that a bunch of valuable shit was walked out of your home without some sort of security system and/or camera footage? I hadn't really thought about it before but how would you prove it?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Upgrades front door.

Has 8 foot french door around back. Can't explain that!

Anyway, on a more serious note it really depends where you live. Also, with bump keys and similar tools meant to open a door without forced entry, I wonder how hard it would be to convince police and your insurance company that a bunch of valuable shit was walked out of your home without some sort of security system and/or camera footage? I hadn't really thought about it before but how would you prove it?
They'll mostly take your word. Thing is the score on stuff like that is pretty low unless they clean out your house and for that you need a moving truck and hours of time. Which people are going to notice.

The penalties for insurance fraud are also severe so when you go down that road it needs to be worth the risk. Then you go back to the issue of it not being easy to steal so much.

The best way to do it would be jewlery. Its on a separate policy though or rider and yeah you could get that "stolen" and get the police report to get paid. Then again when the 30k runs out and you try it again, well, that is how people get caught. Degenerate fucks that try that stuff tend to either be dumb and get caught or do it again which is when they start to get caught.

All it takes is one mistake from someone (you, neighbor, witness, friend, wife, kid etc) involved when talking to the cops for the 10th time answering the same questions over and over to draw suspicion.

Borzak

I have a separate policy on firearms. They required an appraisal obviously, but they send someone to make sure they are actually on the premises every other year and do a quick random spot inventory. If not, firearms would be increadibly easy to make a false claim. They were here, now they're gone. It's not like if you comitted fraud you would be pawning them at the pawn shop. You could do all sorts of stuff, keep them at another location, do a face to face private sale (no paperwork, obviously not an entire collection at once) etc...Not that I have ever considered it, but I live alone and the guns are kept at a house that's not even visible from the road/public. I could load them into one of my trailers and nobody would see or know the difference than me loading up my rc airplanes in a trailer.

My brain works like that for some odd reason. At a recent project kick off when they announced the final contract price I mentioned how nice I could live if I only siphoned off 1% of the total. Got some odd looks.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
At first we kept our alarm monitored simply because my wife had it that way when she lived alone for peace of mind. With our new house though the backyard is an easy break in. My patio sliders are large, about 16 feet wide and 9 feet tall, and my backyard is curved and wide. It also backs up to nothing but trees. My neighbors properties aren't visible from my patio.

My neighbors are also mostly retired people who are always home but they aren't nosy enough to call the cops every time a truck appears. They would probably be able to identify a truck that sat in my driveway during the day though.

Apart from that I use it for home automation.

On the topic of the thread, we've always used ADT and they've been good for us (we get a discount through USAA). The only hiccup we've had with them is they have a code that you can punch in if you're being mugged upon entry which I thought was supposed to result in them calling the police immediately. One day I had a brain fart and punched that code in instead of the regular disarm code. They called my house instead.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Unless you have bars on your windows upgrading either your locks or your doors seems like a waste. 90% of houses are no harder to open than breaking a piece of glass. In my neighborhood most people don't even have locks on their doors and if you locked the door on my house I would have to break in because the only key is inside the house.

Siliconemelons

Yea I bought a 2 car garage... my GF was excited until I parked my Mustang in there and she goes 'so yea, this is really only a 1 car garage if you want to get in and out huh?' I guess the median dimensions for cars in the 1980s was 4x8 or something.
Our "2 car" garage is adequate for decent size work benches around the side, some storage and washer and dryer and folding station and 1 car parked with easy entry/exit etc. I suppose if I took all the work bench stuff out and any storage items up to the attic I may be able to stick my van and suv in there.

Borzak

Unless you have bars on your windows upgrading either your locks or your doors seems like a waste. 90% of houses are no harder to open than breaking a piece of glass. In my neighborhood most people don't even have locks on their doors and if you locked the door on my house I would have to break in because the only key is inside the house.
The stuff I'm worried about being stolen would be nearly impossible to get out of a window. The reason I upgraded the door jamb to keep someone from kicking the door in/down is to keep them from rolling out the gun safes which would require a lot of work but it's happend. The odds of someone liting a 750 lb. safe thru a window is pretty low, if they manage it they can have it lol.

The everyday furnishings and whatever else I'm not worried about. But the double bonus if you look at the increase in home invasions in some areas (not the ghetto) they normally just kick the door down. The odds of that are incredibly rare in a rural area but you never know.

Obviously it's not for everyone. It wasn't a huge deal. I'm in the steel fab business we just made a frame when I built the house and anchored it to the concrete slab, just like the safes are anchored.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The stuff I'm worried about being stolen would be nearly impossible to get out of a window. The reason I upgraded the door jamb to keep someone from kicking the door in/down is to keep them from rolling out the gun safes which would require a lot of work but it's happend. The odds of someone liting a 750 lb. safe thru a window is pretty low, if they manage it they can have it lol.

The everyday furnishings and whatever else I'm not worried about. But the double bonus if you look at the increase in home invasions in some areas (not the ghetto) they normally just kick the door down. The odds of that are incredibly rare in a rural area but you never know.

Obviously it's not for everyone. It wasn't a huge deal. I'm in the steel fab business we just made a frame when I built the house and anchored it to the concrete slab, just like the safes are anchored.
So, uh, what's to stop them from unlocking the door after they go through the window?