Home Theater In a Box ?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
So this is a 2 month update. My system has worked flawlessly and the sound has been literally amazing compared to my old home theater. I hear so many new sounds I never heard before. This is where the good ended though, I came home today to start watching my newly arrived Season 2 Game of Thrones Blue rays and I turn on my system and I have a translucent blue screen with some small artifacting around the edges covering my tv. Turned on blue ray thinking maybe my satellite box died and same thing. Fuck now I am thinking tv or home theater. Plug directly into the TV and everything works great. Call Denon and they make me do all the bullshit unplugging and turn off the system for 10-15 minutes then plug back in and turn on tv first, then home theater, then source crap. Makes no difference. Reset the microprocessor and makes no difference. So I need to take it in for service now as something is definitely wrong with it.

I never should have bought a refurb even if the price was good. Luckily it should still be under the 90 day warranty but for now no surround sound. Plugged my stuff into the tv and turned it on for the first time in 2 months with no surround sound and holy fuck it sounds like ass. Really makes you appreciate the great sound the Denon and Mirage put out.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have been burned on refurb shit a couple times now. A lot of times it means it has an intermittent problem. I think half of that stuff is something someone returned because it was defective, they got it in, turned it on for 2 minutes, it worked fine, so they put it in a box and sell it as refurbished and you save a few bucks by buying somebody else's defective unit.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I just wanted to update. My Denon has crapped out 3 or 4 times in the last year and a half. This last time I said fuck it and threw it away and bought a Yamaha RX-V475. The surround sound is just as good but it did not set up the center channel as well so it is harder to hear voices with the Yamaha. I am going to play with the settings some. Other than that I love it. I also plan to upgrade to that HSU setup later this year.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
How big is your center channel speaker compared to your ffront speakers? I had problems with my old system because I bought a polk 5 speaker surround setup and then upgraded the front speakers to floor standing and used the other two little speakers to make it 7.1. Those big front speakers overwhelmed the little center channel so you couldn't set the volume right (super loud music or you can't hear the talking). I finally replaced my center channel speaker withAmazon.com: Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker (Single, Black): Electronicsand all is well.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I have the Mirage Nano Sat 5.1 set. The surround sound on it is fantastic but the front channel is tiny. I actually was looking at that exact center speaker this morning but not sure I want to spend the money on something I will just replace in a few months. I moved my front channel and upped the volumne to that speaker slightly and it will be good enough until I upgrade them all later this year.

I have to say I will never buy another Denon product again after all the trouble I had.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yamaha 4 Lyfe!

I've owned nothing but Yamaha receivers since 1985, and while that is only like 5 receivers, every one of them still works. A coworker is using my original one in his dusty ass garage, and it works great.

I believe that is the exact same center speaker I have as well (the CS10). Made a big difference when I bought the Polk floor speakers as well.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have owned 3 Denon units and the only time I have ever had a problem was when I was driving 4 ohm speakers for a house party and after a few hours the unit cut out. The Denon (3808) was crazy hot to the touch and pretty much fried. That was all down to me being a lazy ass and not getting a 4 ohm amp. (Denon wasnt rated for it)

I have been using a Denon 4311 for a few years now and it pushes over $10k worth of speakers (8 ohm) to ear splitting volumes crisp and clear.

Pretty happy with Denon and I don't think you can beat it's bang for the buck. I think you just got burned buying refurb. Something I have never done.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I had it professionally repaired too. They replaced the board in it. Same problem happened again 6 months later. I don't think that is an issue of being refurb.

Siliconemelons

I have the Polk cs10 and tsi's and owm's of the same tiers... thanks to this form etc... they are insanely good for the price and great! I forgot where but I think there are some Polk generics that are the same.. amazon I think had them they are all the tsi level speakers but just named differently or something.

My denon is 4 or 5 years old and it's going well.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Maybe somebody in this thread could tell me why my Yamaha Receiver can't be turned up to 11. It works fine unless you try to turn it all the way up. It will play for a bit if the content isn't too intense, but as soon as something loud happens, the receiver turns itself off. I assume that it is some kind of overcurrent protection, but I would think that you should be able to turn the thing all the way up if there wasn't something wrong? Not really a problem because I don't ever really turn it up that high, but it does make me wonder if something is wrong. It's been like that since I got it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe somebody in this thread could tell me why my Yamaha Receiver can't be turned up to 11. It works fine unless you try to turn it all the way up. It will play for a bit if the content isn't too intense, but as soon as something loud happens, the receiver turns itself off. I assume that it is some kind of overcurrent protection, but I would think that you should be able to turn the thing all the way up if there wasn't something wrong? Not really a problem because I don't ever really turn it up that high, but it does make me wonder if something is wrong. It's been like that since I got it.
It is probably overcurrent protection, just like you said. However, your assumption that it should just blast out full max all day is not entirely realistic. The issue lies within the speakers. Most household speakers are rated around 8 ohms. This is a partial truth. The fact is, the impedance will vary across different frequencies. Not only that, but each speaker model (manufacturer too) will vary differently from one another as well. The more the impedance drops, the more current is going to be drawn from the amp.

Eventually, the over current or over temp protection is going to kick in at some point.

Bottom line: If you want louder, you need a better quality amp.

Here is a decent post stating the same:
The Interrelationship of Speakers and Amplifiers

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Thanks. Sounds like it's not unexpected then. I am fine with it happening and I don't need to play shit that loud, I was just concerned that it meant something was wrong with either the amp or one of my speakers.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I skimmed the thread, and I am looking to put something together. I might have missed it, but are any Denon head units compatible with Plex? Or do they just do music streaming?

Remit_sl

shitlord
Ended up going with an E300 and polk speakers. Got a really good deal direct from polk, and I've always liked Polk's sound. I had center channel size restrictions, so I went with Polk TL2s and a PSW110 in 5.1. It should be a nice step up from my sound bar. Grabbed another chromecast for all my streaming needs. I wouldnt even need it if Yahoo TV would hurry up and approve the Plex app, but whatever.