Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Camels are one of the last things on my "list" of animals I always wanted but don't yet have. I think the white Bactrian ones are beautiful, but go for 20k+
Just imagine having this thing sitting on your homestead in front of your house. Maybe some chickens running around. Think of how amazed the Amazon driver will be when he pulls up. What a majestic creature.

IMG_4495.jpeg

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Stop tempting me. What an awesome animal that is. The white Bactrians in full winter coat are regal too. I live "in town" , literally in town and surrounded by subdvisions. People already stop (too much) to gawk at the various things despite me planting the shit out of my fence lines , I can't imagine how it would be with a camel.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Stop tempting me. What an awesome animal that is. The white Bactrians in full winter coat are regal too. I live "in town" , literally in town and surrounded by subdvisions. People already stop (too much) to gawk at the various things despite me planting the shit out of my fence lines , I can't imagine how it would be with a camel.
DO IT

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Well it’s that time of year. Hit our first night in the 40s. On one hand Florida summer is hell to work in outside and I hate it plus it’s hard to keep up with the growth I don’t want.. On the other hand I have 40+ fruit trees in pots to plant in spring, many which are zone pushers so I have to cover during these dips..

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Speaking of, my nursery area is maybe 700-1k sqr ft. Any thoughts on using propane heaters on cold nights? My only concern here would be bears knocking it over and it being a fire hazard… I’m about to put temporary electric fencing around nursery so that should negate that.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
One hump good. Two humps better.

Even in Vanguard the two humped ones cost more gold. I remember a early "goal" of my goblin bloodmage was to go buy one. I think they were sold in Qualia (??) between the main city and Skarlwas Rock. Good times.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of, my nursery area is maybe 700-1k sqr ft. Any thoughts on using propane heaters on cold nights? My only concern here would be bears knocking it over and it being a fire hazard… I’m about to put temporary electric fencing around nursery so that should negate that.

No. Just stay away from things that would die completely in this kind of weather.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
No. Just stay away from things that would die completely in this kind of weather.
Eh. You can zone push with fruit trees. It’s all about age/size of tree and the microclimate you put it in. I’m just in an awkward spot as they’re all in pots so I haven’t put their in their final microclimate.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Just stay away from things that would die completely in a hard freeze, such as Lychee nut for example. You are talking about things like Mangos which as ADULTS can survive a hard freeze after significant die back. Thats fine. Just don't want you wasting your time on things and hoping we don't get another hard freeze like we had about 6 years ago. Young plants in pots that don't fit the above description should be fine on cold nights now...unless there is a hard freeze. If you get into that position, then yeah take precautions since its a one off temporary thing.

Native Floridian here who lives next to a huge lake (i.e. a micro zone) and been there done that.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just stay away from things that would die completely in a hard freeze, such as Lychee nut for example. You are talking about things like Mangos which as ADULTS can survive a hard freeze after significant die back. Thats fine. Just don't want you wasting your time on things and hoping we don't get another hard freeze like we had about 6 years ago. Young plants in pots that don't fit the above description should be fine on cold nights now...unless there is a hard freeze. If you get into that position, then yeah take precautions since its a one off temporary thing.

Native Floridian here who lives next to a huge lake (i.e. a micro zone) and been there done that.
Florida is so large geographically, it takes an adjustment and knowing where in the state you are. My new place is closer to Georgia/Alabama than it is Miami. Totally different temperatures here than in S Florida. We are hovering at freezing today and tomorrow. That was a once a century thing in Miami when I was growing up.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Any suggestions beyond diesel anti gel for my tractor. I intend to run it some over winter, sitting in my unheated barn. Never had anything non gas b4.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Any suggestions beyond diesel anti gel for my tractor. I intend to run it some over winter, sitting in my unheated barn. Never had anything non gas b4.
How cold does it get? Do you have a block heater? Glow plugs?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How cold does it get? Do you have a block heater? Glow plugs?
Oklahoma, usually above freezing but nights can dip into high 20s, sometimes get like a week of much lower temp with a high just above freezing.

Saw a block heater plug, didn't know the difference between that and a glow plug but it has the icon for that I believe when I turn the key.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
We were 12 this morning at my lower field, the bottom of the valley by creek can be about 10 degrees colder in the morning than surrounding hills. Amazing when winds go away and cold air starts to settle just how fast the temps drop and how low they go.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We were 12 this morning at my lower field, the bottom of the valley by creek can be about 10 degrees colder in the morning than surrounding hills. Amazing when winds go away and cold air starts to settle just how fast the temps drop and how low they go.
I put a sweatshirt on this morning to walk the dogs.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Should be finding out this week if we are getting a new edition to the homestead. I haven't had a dog since Jan 2021, had him for 15 yrs and with craziness of building house haven't been in a hurry to replace. There is a female blue merle Aussie I want but there is someone inline in front of me that is picking tomorrow. Keep trying to not get my hopes up and figure they are going to steal take the pup I want. Of the remaining pups it's the only I want though. There is another breeder but they are Amish/Mennonite and I don't want to buy from them, I tend to not like how they handle things.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Lychees are done in Florida. Going the way of citrus. We have lychee wilt now.. Both of my lychees slowly died. I’ll be doing Longan as a substitute.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Florida is so large geographically, it takes an adjustment and knowing where in the state you are. My new place is closer to Georgia/Alabama than it is Miami. Totally different temperatures here than in S Florida. We are hovering at freezing today and tomorrow. That was a once a century thing in Miami when I was growing up.
Yeah. Even being in the same zone - for instance north 9B is gonna have a harder time than south 9B for growing things like mangos, passion vine, sugar apple etc. Meanwhile south 9B can’t grow pecans due to lack of chill hours while north 9B can. Amazing what a difference as little as 10 miles can make.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Two bananas trees shredded again. Had no bananas. I imagine it’s the same bear. I wonder if the liquid in the trunk is sweet? I haven’t had time to get the temporary electric fence up. The animal pressure is really icing on the cake when it comes to tiring me out in pursuit of my homesteading effort.