Homeworld 3

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I saw this pop up and thought it was releasing any day now, but it seems it's in 2024.

Anyway Homeworld 1 and 2 remaster is free on Epic Games Launcher right now. Need to allocate some time into replaying them, don't think I got to play HW2 as my computer sucked back then.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Out in 2 days, how did I not hear of this. Though it does seem like my gut is telling me a wait and see reception on this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
homeworld3.png

This is pretty tight. I guess the original mothership model was released in the Remastered Collectors Edition, but as it's long sold out, prices are high.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 528465

This is pretty tight. I guess the original mothership model was released in the Remastered Collectors Edition, but as it's long sold out, prices are high.

Yeah I have the original mothership on my shelf from that collectors edition. May even have the box somewhere but we've moved since. Not sure if I'm $175 in on this though if the game ends up sucking.

• 2Like

Aazrael

Homeworld is a game that I will remember forever, just like Diablo 1 and Warcraft/Starcraft.

I think I could barely play it on my PC way back when it released but I managed to beat it after a long time. I don't think I ever did play HW2, was that game more of the same or did they change stuff? Not sure how HW3 is compared to 1 and 2 as I have not followed this development process at all.

This intro was something that really stuck with me. Low tech but cool as hell.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Sludig

Reviews are pretty ugly./ Fuck

"""""

I do not recommend buying this game. It wears the name "Homeworld" it has the story, characters, sounds, graphics, and amazing looking maps FROM Homeworld but this game sadly is NOT homeworld.

If this game would have been released under a different name everybody would have probably sung it's praises. However since it wears the name of "Homeworld" people expect a certain sense of "quality" to it. Some still exist but most of the "soul" of homeworld is not there anymore.

A few of the "Cons":

- Lack of Ship variety
- Sizes of ships doesnt make sense
- Unit AI is retarded (The AI insists on being on the same plane as the enemy when it comes to attacking them IN SPACE)
- Every single unit in the game has some sort of activated "ability" which most of the time boils down to "Push buttan to deal more damage"
- Directional armor is gone. There is no point in using the 3D movement since the damage is the same no matter where you shoot from and the unit AI is too stupid to take advantage of the difference in elavation anyway.
- The balance with ships is all wrong. Destroyers and Battlecruisers are now "Anti-Everything" (It's even in the tooltip) as such they'll just shoot down even your strike craft with ease. (I find bombers to be useless atm) Going back to unit AI. Fighters fly around really slowly sticking 100% to their formation and doing NO EVASIVE MANOUVERS AT ALL. (Dog fights are really boring to watch)
- Capital ship subsytems are gone as are cloak generators, gravity well generators, proximity sensors and sensors distortion probes. Anything to give an edge over the enemy in strategic gameplay is just gone.
- The skirmish maps are now really tiny and use a resource system similar to Deserts of Kharak and they run out really fast. This turns the game in to really fast quick brawls when atleast in my opinion HOMEWORLD should be more slow and methodical gameplay.

Oh yeah the megaliths.. While they do look awesome they're in the end really useless and just... There.
Since directional armor isnt a thing anymore there's no actual point in trying to skirt around using it as cover and yes it does have some cool tunnels your strike craft could use but it's a massive pain in the ass to try to get your fighters to navigate through it and since the skirmish matches are usually really fast paced you wont even have time to do so anyway.

That's just to name a few.

Now a few "Pros":

- The sound track yet again is amazing
- Maps despite their size look awesome
- No need to micro resource collectors and controllers. They now come in a single package BUT since resources are in nodes similar to DoK they just stop doing anything once that node goes out and are too dumb to continue gathering without new orders. (Unless the next resource point happens to be a stone's throw's away)
- The Wargames mode despite the games other flaws is some good fun in a tight 30 minute package and so far all the fleets are diffirent enough from each other to keep the gameplay interesting. (Atleast for a while)

TL;DR

I wanted to like this game really REALLY bad but i just cant. All it does in the end is make me want to reinstall Homeworld Remastered and go play that instead. So if you want to play Homeworld. Go buy remastered. That's where the true Homeworld experience is at.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aazrael

That sucks to hear. But to be fair its been so long since I played HW so I dont really remember the gameplay.

Think I will wait a bit in purchasing this one. I got the remaster on Epic Games so will probably replay 1 and 2 before I look into 3.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I remember 1 is amazing 2 starts to get "we need a sequel" with story.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There wasn't much ship variety in Homeworld 1 since I just built salvage corvettes over and over, hah.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There wasn't much ship variety in Homeworld 1 since I just built salvage corvettes over and over, hah.

I remember beating HW1 by capturing everything to the point that I had an unstoppable fleet.

• 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Fucking faggots.
look-how-they-massacred-my-boy-meme.gif

If 20 years ago you told me one of my favorite games of all time would descend into some 100 foot tall diversity monstrosity making cringe faces while rambling at an tranny sling blade I'd have committed suicide.

Painfully obvious the retards who made this don't understand why the original had no characters.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

View attachment 528782

If 20 years ago you told me one of my favorite games of all time would descend into some 100 foot tall diversity monstrosity making cringe faces while rambling at an tranny sling blade I'd have committed suicide.

Painfully obvious the retards who made this don't understand why the original had no characters.
I could almost overlook it and just power skip scenes, but per the review, the combat is retarded they make a big deal about 3d space yet ships don't act like they used to and have to come down to the same plane of other things it sounds like to fight. Not sure I'm a fan of also basically always having a ground just to justify them adding turrets and odd things.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So went ahead and watched the ending cutscenes.

Every bit as horrible and wtf as that clip above.

Sludig

How prevalent everything being shit has, really has helped w/ my productivity IRL when half the games shows and movies are all aids.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
How prevalent everything being shit has, really has helped w/ my productivity IRL when half the games shows and movies are all aids.
I know, imagine how much less productive I would be if all these games were good. It's a blessing MMOs have sucked since WoW.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Burns

After watching the clip above of giant diverse female talking to giant self insert female this will be a surprise to no one:
2024-05-16 11.54.45 www.reddit.com e47f285df344.png

• 1Rustled