Honkai Star Rail

Chris

Potato del Grande
Beat W5 switching to Preservation, makes you really tanky but still with dps options and the aoe nuke is better than the hunt nuke if you have a tank.

Also there's a "chance to cure debuff when gaining a sheild" which trivialises Kafka's mind control.

Actually got me to phase 2 of the W6 final boss, that's how good it is... but holy shit you have to fight Cocolia, her adds and Bronwyn together :/

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This release set of characters is kinda odd.

Fire MC is just an order of magnitude better tank than Clara or March.

March. What is the goal with this character? Great shield... but it increases the targets aggro... so seems pretty limited on who you would want to use it on. If her shield didn't draw aggro, she would be quite good.

Sampo shits on any other Wind character for damage / break.

Herta would be the best character in the game IF she could apply Freeze. As of now, she is just really good at straight AoE dps.

Arlan is pretty high single target dps, but is a liability that you have to build the team around ... so he is pointless.

Dan as single target Wind dps is great, but is always outshined by Sampo.

Bronya is far too specialized as a character as she does nothing herself, and will only buff someone else.

Strongest teams I've used so far have Fire MC + Natasha, then if possible, DPS that has an AoE Skill + DoT. So, Sampo, Serval and Asta (from what I have). Those three just wreck shields they match up against better than anyone else (I imagine Himeko is superior than Asta, but I haven't gotten her).

Learned a bit about Break the other day. It seems Break damage is its own thing, the strength of a character doesn't matter as long as they match elements. Normal attacks of any variety will take "1" segment off the break bar, while "Bounce" attacks will take 1 from the main target, than 2 per hit of each Bounce (this is why Sampo is so good).

Currently have 10 characters at lvl50 with max'd Traces, but Relics are not that greatly enhanced yet. Up to FH13 and SU6, and haven't finished the main Story yet as it seems very, very bloated with unnecessary puzzles / exposition. Boring af.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Bronya is amazing with any of the really good hunters like Yanqing or Seele. The ability to double up your best dps attacks, and buff their damage two different ways is pretty amazing. You will be filing your primary dps energy really fast as well. Yanqing can self buff his crit chance to 100% with hardly any relic investment. So bronya's ult just makes that ridiculous.

March 7th is tailor made for Clara since Clara is already at a higher chance to get attacked so she can build up marks of counter, and she takes reduced damage as well. So the shield + taunt just enhances that.

Most of the supports seem to have specific characters they absolutely shine with while not being great otherwise.

Like you said:
Basic team building right now is Natasha+Trailblazer(Fire)+Prefered Dps+Whatever support works with that dps the best.

Or if you want big numbers it's:
Bronya, Tingyun, Asta, + the best single target dps you have.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, sure. The Clara + March example is why I think the character design is flawed / odd. Clara as a tank, sucks. She only has a "soft" taunt that is on her Ultimate, which does no direct damage (bad). The damage reduction given by this is very poor compared to Fire MC. To make good use of Clara, yes, you need March to shield her before Clara pops the Ult. So you need 2 aggro sources to approach a true Taunt like MC has. The only benefit to this, is that Clara can do good dps from all the Ultimate buffed Counters. I used Clara and March a lot prior to getting Fire MC. She has worked fine in FH as my second teams Tank, but she takes a lot more dmg than MC (can mitigate that difference by using +Def relics though).

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Leaning Pela...removing buffs so far seems really important. Just unlocked relics so not that far in yet.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Reached T40 and equilibrium 3 today. Leveling after 50 takes a lot of grinding.

Bronya is far too specialized as a character as she does nothing herself, and will only buff someone else.

Hilarious post. 10/10 would lmao my ass off again.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Reached T40 and equilibrium 3 today. Leveling after 50 takes a lot of grinding.

Hilarious post. 10/10 would lmao my ass off again.
True though. Unless you have Seeley, or maybe Shushang, you would better off using another dps.

Chris

Potato del Grande
True though. Unless you have Seeley, or maybe Shushang, you would better off using another dps.
Yeah I avoided support characters and run x2 Hunt DPS because I can't see how they can double someone's damage to be worth it. I did just level Astra and fox lady for the x2 teams mirror world thing though.

I think Yangqing is better than Seela and Shushang against anything that matters (bosses).

Each Hunt character has a gimmick to turn on their extra attacks or empowered ultimate.

Seela needs you to kill something, Shushang needs you to have their weakness broken and Dan Heng needs you to use the skill on the same enemy first to debuff them.

Yangqing needs to not be hit between using the skill and ultimate... but you can just use both in the same turn and now you have 100% crit for free.

Seela is VERY impressive when she has two adds to kill and does 4 attacks though.

I haven't levelled Shusang so not sure if she need to break the enemy or attack a broken one, if it's the latter that would make her be very good. I want to level her but hesitant to waste resources before the 50-60 grind.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Had lots of gems saved up and got the Gacha itch to pull. Did 30 pulls on standard banner and got Yangqing.

So got Seele, Yangqing and Bailu as my 5 stars now. That a viable team to use along with MC? As Chris said above I don't really like the support characters at the moment, maybe they are needed later though? I'm still not done with the first planet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Had lots of gems saved up and got the Gacha itch to pull. Did 30 pulls on standard banner and got Yangqing.

So got Seele, Yangqing and Bailu as my 5 stars now. That a viable team to use along with MC? As Chris said above I don't really like the support characters at the moment, maybe they are needed later though? I'm still not done with the first planet.
Yes that's my team except I use Natasha because I don't have Bailu, it's a solid all rounder team. Fire MC is very good with the taunt and AoE sheild, fire adds you can aoe break are common too.

I think supports are better when the boss is weak to them. Like if a boss isn't weak to Quantum but is weak to Fire/Ice, swapping Seela for Astra is good because now Yangqinq is faster/more damage and the boss is broken more often.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't forget to use a Technique of any given character, it will usually allow that character to enter combat with the gimmick enabled.

Shushang is top tier in my experience with her, so I'd recommend living her up without hesitation.. she murders Earth mobs.

Lenas

Trump's Staff

You are pretty fucking set until at least Forgotten Hall 11 where you'll need to consider a second team. I am currently lacking a second healer without Baidu so I am needing to build up tanks and support in her stead. You will fortunately get Natasha for free soon so you'll be pretty stacked.

A third healer is coming with the next update who also seems very good.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just beat W6, got the last two Forgotten Halls to do too though.

Trailblazer 39 so will hit 40 tomorrow or the day after and the grind will begin!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hope they fix Abundance and how the AI plays Natasha.

I did an auto battle run of W5, using Abundance (run at 13 Ab cards). I picked Anicca and Anatta. There times during the last Elite fight and during Kafka fight where the AI would fire off the Path Resonance skill (R), right before Anatta was to pop... in non emergency cases. A waste, the AI should be aware.

Also, during this run, the AI never used Natasha for anything other than Normal attack, even when a character(s) had either of Kafka's debuffs. The combination of this, and the above, I lost Sampo (had the auto rez card). So the AI needs to be updated to recognize that Natasha can Cleanse, while also knowing that Anatta will fire off next.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Okay the most damage I've seen in a single round now belongs to the Path of Preservation buffed to shit with two perks to make it crit and add damage based on team shields with Gepard's ult feeding it.

Just stupid damage. At least in this tier (Eq3).

Chris

Potato del Grande
Mona is the best designed character I've ever seen. Water Mage wears a swimsuit but keeps the giant floopy hat? Genius. They had to tone her down and give her shorts when she appears as an NPC now.

I feel ashamed that I know exactly which Waifu he is looking for and I have her levelled up in Genshin.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Trying to level 8 characters to 60 for the mirror world stuff, up to the 15th and last permanent stage, after that they rotate so it's important to make progress there every week. Nearly got it but the lack of a second healer is a struggle.

Sushang is amazing, thanks to whoever suggested her, for a 4* she seems almost as good as 5* Yangqing - I think he does more damage but she is a physical boss breaking machine - the ultimate giving a free turn right after is excellent.

I got the battle pass light cone for Fire Trailblazer and full +def% gear and she does pretty good damage, definitely worthy of being a 5*.

Supports still seem lackluster though they are only at 50. I'm really suffering with adds so maybe I need some AoE units?

I have FOUR Hunt characters levelled to do single target DPS on bosses depending on weaknesses, I usually take two into each encounter but the weakness matching one is always better - an AoE character to kill adds would be much better.

If anyone wants a tip, find the 15 cube puzzles in space china, once you get all 15 they respawn with a new puzzle element and that's 15 more chests!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Trying to level 8 characters to 60 for the mirror world stuff, up to the 15th and last permanent stage, after that they rotate so it's important to make progress there every week. Nearly got it but the lack of a second healer is a struggle.

I'm having the same issue without a second healer, keep running out of steam on the second fight. Barely beat the 14th stage with zero stars, too. I got some promising light cones but I'm hamstrung by a lack of exp materials for them atm. Hard to figure out if I want to spend stamina farming shit RNG relics I can't use or if I should just keep grinding exp for now.

• 1Like