How do you learn real good?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What techniques or resources do you use to learn new things? Anything from complex subjects to simple stuff. What's great and what sucks?

I'd also like to hear your thoughts on self-paced learning (eLearning) courses. I think 95% of them are terrible. What can they do to make them better?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I use a lot of youtube videos for anything from fixing washing machines to how to BBQ brisket.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Needs an all of the above option.

Use every tool at your disposal, imo.

Probably do the least amount of learning in lectures, that's more about getting a strong overview of things. Then you read the textbook and probably watch youtube/khan academy and other videos. Possibly some wikipedia articles depending on the subject, sometimes it helps to have two textbooks so you get two different views of the same material (I know that helped me a lot with calculus), then start whittling away at the homework.

Solving problems/working with the material is how everyone actually really learns.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Have you ever taken an elearning course? Did it suck dick?

I find most online elearning courses are just pages of text with some stock images and a next and back button. Could've just read a word doc.

They don't take advantage of the format to create actual simulations or useful interactions.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Often I will favor one side too much and either understand things at a very shallow level because I'm just memorizing facts, or will get stuck on things way too long because I'm just brute forcing the ideas into my head by trial and error. It depends on the subject, but I find a better way is to learn is to switch between different ways as you're learning a new concept or field. This means reading some wikipedia, then trying to figure out the problem on your own, then watching a youtube video, then asking for help, then trying the problem on your own again etc.

A good example is a basic concept of integration in calculus. You might need to learn it in a class or because you've always wanted to know calculus, whatever. So pop open:
Integral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and read for ten minutes. If you're like me you'll know you've gone off the rails when you start reading about how Newton would pierce his own eyeball for optics research.

But you might see how integration is really good at calculating the area under a curve. You might say, "Fuck Archimedes I can figure that out.". Then you spend 15 minutes iteratively calculating the area ex:
200px-Integral_Riemann_sum.png

and think, "Ok this sucks balls, there has to be a better way."

You may then look at wikipedia and get totally lost in the properties section and that's when you switch to youtube and watch a video from the first pretty girl you see.

At some point between starting the video and switching to 'brunette girls twerking' you may understand the concepts a bit and try again and boom, you've got a solution to the area under y=x^2 for a given distance because one of the videos you saw did that.

You then try to expand that to y=1/x and something is wrong. So you phone a friend and he shows you your algebra is shit and where you're wrong and also you've glossed over a few important parts of it.

From then it's just a matter of adding to that core knowledge.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also I've found that for a topic you just don't get, sometimes the best recourse is to find the dumbest person you know who understands the topic and have them explain it to you.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Have you ever taken an elearning course? Did it suck dick?

I find most online elearning courses are just pages of text with some stock images and a next and back button. Could've just read a word doc.

They don't take advantage of the format to create actual simulations or useful interactions.
Yes and I'm not a super fan of distance learning/internet based coursework.

The only class I've taken online that I felt like I learned anything was an intro to evolution course, because the labs and textbook and coursework were identical and the teacher did video lectures that were indistinguishable from the in class lectures.

When I took organic chem 1, the professor recorded all his lectures, and I used them for review, because you could pause, rewind, etc. and really dig into the material that way. So I attended the actual lectures, then as I did problems and shit at home, I watched those recordings as a review. I felt that, when I took O Chem 2 from the same professor and he quit using them because half the class wouldn't show up when he did them, but also failed to watch the online videos and ended up doing badly on the exams (which is fucking stupid), that I really missed having that extra tool to use.

E learning is a useful addition in most cases, but not a great way to go about learning all by itself, is my opinion.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
That girl is a great resource for mathematics and some other stuff.

Another fantastic youtube video resource that isn't Khan Academy, for learning math is Patrick JMT

PatrickJMT

I think he has something like 100k solved problems on that website, with explanations.

Example video

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For math I found the best way to learn was to read on the subject, follow examples in the text and then assign yourself homework from the section. I found chegg really good for checking solutions or even understanding math topics I didn't get - sometimes seeing someone's work step-by-step really paid off for me. Still, the best way to learn for me was doing example problems.

For CS stuff I always just tried to learn as much as I could until I realized I didn't really know shit and I'd be googling that shit or hitting up stackoverflow when I needed it. Looking at you, pointers.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah the only way to learn math/chemistry and some other areas, probably engineering, physics, etc. is to just do the goddamn problems.

Over and over and over.

Just like the only way to learn a new language is to speak it.

Practice makes perfect and all that.

At least until we're injecting computer chips into our brains that facilitate instantaneous learning. Bring on the Singularity!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've wasted a lot of my company's time/money by doing Khan at work. Better than ReRolled, I guess.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
How do you think humour impacts learning? Making a fun/funny/entertaining video on a subject.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
games, projects. Books and virtually all direct means of conveying facts are just too dry. Applying skills is the easiest way for me to comprehend.

I've been teaching myself gardening and picking up little bits of chemistry just because it helps me achieve my goals. If I wanted to teach people chemistry I'd probably just use gardening to do it. Of course that takes space and time that isn't available in most cases, and would probably limit the range of what can be taught, but I'm still in the realm of clueless so /shrug. I'm considering trying to set up an irrigation system off of a moisture sensor. There seem to be guides on do-it-yourself stuff for that on the net, so eventually my interest might segue into some light programming.

I've tried some of that edx stuff, and I just can't discipline myself to stick with it. Some of them are project oriented, but it's hard for me to adhere to an arbitrary timeline.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
figure out what type of "learner" you are, i only learned/figured this out a few years ago and makes total sense.
7-styles-of-learning.jpg

Like for example, physical learners are like mechanics, they really get into an engine and can learn great, while a visual learner needs flowcharts/diagrams/how to videos, etc.