Hunting Thread

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have 1lb or so of Elk burger. Not sure if it's already been mixed with fat or anything to make up for natural leaness. (In a bag from a processor)

Any suggestions how to do this Elk blessing justice? Wifes never had and I havn't had any in years and years. So was thinking just burgers so she gets most of the taste rather than hiding it in something like burritoes.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It should make a pretty decent burger. Elk is one of the best game meats.

Hunting season craziness is in full swing around here. I really can't understand the FWP though. The last two years no one has been able to shoot muley does at all in this area and now this year residents can buy an "A" tag (whitetail or muley, either sex) and then 5 muley doe tags and one whitetail doe tag so one hunter can shoot up to 7 deer. We had a party of 4 hunting on us last weekend that left with 12 deer after hunting for 3 days.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I mostly make stew out of my ground venison. I'd suggest burgers in a frying pan with a layer of bacon grease to be sure it's not too dry. Chili is also good, but chili will really hide the flavor. Once you open the bag, it should be obvious whether it has any fat.

Brutul, I don't know where you are, but odds are they suddenly realized they had too many does. Do you get multiple ruts every year? That shit is bad on the bucks. When I was young in texas they basically didn't allow us to shoot does and we'd easily get 3 or 4 ruts a year. Poor bucks were fucking so much and eating so little they could barely stand up by spring.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'm in Montana and we just have one rut. I realize there are too many does, but that is a direct result of them not letting them shoot any does for the last two seasons. I don't know where they're getting their info from but going from two years of nothing to being able to shoot 6 does if you want is just erratic and stupid.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Unfortunately, sometimes those are political decisions and not sound wildlife management decision.

Oh and sludig, on the way home last night I was thinking about your elkburger. Salibury steak would be good too if you know how to make that. I don't, which is why I didn't think about it at first.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
My mom always made stroganoff from venison, usually it was chunks but sometimes ground meat. It was always delicious.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Parents live about 1/2 mile from a small river and behind them is a pond of about 5 acres. One morning this week just at daylight I heard so many speckbellies coming in it was crazy. They're not really in what you would call waterfowl country. I finally got up and looked and you couldn't fit another goose on that pond. They stayed about an hour then took off going south. Guess they played out of steam and needed a break. They're about 125 miles from their final destination. Never seen so many geese on a small pond and that includes the coast in Louisiana and Southeast TX and on the priarie out around Katy, the peanut fields up in the panhandle that are covered up in Canadas. Crazy. Got the spotting scope out for a while hoping to catch a glimpse of a neck band and get a number, no such luck tho.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
My 10-year old has a cheap kids bow but would like to get a legit youth hunting bow. Some people have recommended the Bear Odyssey 2 since it is highly adjustable on draw weight and length. That model is out of production so I would have to buy it used and I'm not sure I'd want to do that. Anyone have any experience with something similar?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Hunted and Fished everything that exists on the West Coast from South Oregon to Alaska as a kid up until I was 18. Father is a commercial fisherman who also loves hunting and fishing in his spare time. Along with shooting trap/skeet (which I do actually enjoy).

Still go out and kill shit with him whenever I am visiting. The man is extremely skilled at seemingly all kinds of fishing/hunting which is both a curse and a blessing because it never takes very long (he doesn't even call it fishing he calls it catching, for example). All of my friends growing up spoke about fishing all weekend and not catching shit. Totally foreign concept to me as I have never not caught the limit for myself/the group in mere hours. So we never got to just hang out very long.

My Brother in law is hunting obsessed but hilariously awful at it. Pretty sure he just likes the drinking aspect of hunting.

Always hated it and found it incredibly fucking boring. So I don't bother anymore. I can still filet, dress and prepare fish, birds and elk at warp speed though!

blizzak

<Silver Donator>
on my way out for a day of early light goose hunting. then a couple hours of roughed grouse. looking forward to a couple good meals until bow zdason opens up for deer.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Does anyone have any favorite ways to cook backstrap and tenders? We usually fry it. This past weekend my wife wrapped it in bacon and broiled it. One time she put it in a jalapeno with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon. That was delicious, but we figured out it was just as good without the venison and a lot less work.

Anyone got anything else they like to do with it?

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am going to have to try that. I typically just do a medium rare fry on it and let the natural flavors stand on its own.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Walked right on top of a 2x2 mule deer today that had its rear legs blown off..... I put the poor thing out of its misery, but it really sucks to see a good deer go to waste. I just could not risk harvesting the animal given the stiff penalties and how easy it is to fabricate such a story (3 Pt minimum on one side here in Washington state). If any of you are deer hunting make sure you count those horns and track your wounded game down!

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
One week until the craziness starts here in Montana. I have 17 hunters coming to my place for opening weekend, then a lull for a week or so, then about that many guys from November 4th until the season ends after Thanksgiving. Not looking forward to all the calls, knocks on my door, and interruptions during the day, but I get a kick out of how excited everyone gets and hearing the stories and every deer they shoot is one I won't have to feed next year.

Oh and the deer are thick as flies this year. I was planting winter wheat yesterday and there were 25 muley does and fawns 25 yards from me that didn't even bother to stand up when the tractor went by. Residents can buy 6 muley doe tags, three whitetail doe tags, and one buck tag for a grand total of 10 deer this year. I can't imagine trying to deal with that many deer and I doubt many people will shoot more than a couple, but I do have one local guy coming out next week who has 7 doe tags he wants to fill.

Last edited:

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Walked right on top of a 2x2 mule deer today that had its rear legs blown off..... I put the poor thing out of its misery, but it really sucks to see a good deer go to waste. I just could not risk harvesting the animal given the stiff penalties and how easy it is to fabricate such a story (3 Pt minimum on one side here in Washington state). If any of you are deer hunting make sure you count those horns and track your wounded game down!

Do the game wardens donate that meat to anyone? They don't do it around here anymore because (hell I don't really know why) but where I grew up you could call the game warden with an animal like that and it would be butchered and fed to the homeless.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Do the game wardens donate that meat to anyone? They don't do it around here anymore because (hell I don't really know why) but where I grew up you could call the game warden with an animal like that and it would be butchered and fed to the homeless.

I searched a bit on google, but could not find anything relating to salvaging an injured animal outside of the new law that passed for motor vehicle incidents. We were over a mile from the road, and I honestly don't trust law enforcement, so I just killed it and moved on. Anyone can shoot a deer and then say "Oh, I found it this way", so it seemed pretty risky to phone it in.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is a life style I have always wanted to get into but never could. I mean reading some of these accounts of hunting and processing the meat from said hunts is cool. I just don't like sitting still in the cold for deer and what not. I like rabbit hunting and things like that where you actually move, but it's still cold, and to be honest I have never developed a taste for "game" meat. I would definitely make an effort and learn to like it if the world went to shit, but until then I'll just keep eating beef. I married into a family full of avid outdoors-men, but it's just not in my DNA.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The only way I like to eat venison is as jerky or mixed 50/50 with pork and made into sausage. For me personally I get a free tag every year and I could fill it without leaving my yard but I don't bother. It just doesn't give me the thrill it does some people and the hassle of gutting an processing isn't worth it to me for sub par meat, particularly when I can get top quality beef at wholesale prices.

I get hunters that really do use it to feed their families and if you hunt locally you really can get a lot of meat very economically. The out of state guys on the other hand, could probably buy a half a beef for what they spend on tags and the hunting trip so they can't really say that they're doing it for the meat.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Lots of people shoot things and don't even want the meat. I'm talking about the canned hunts or the business meeting type hunts where big wig executives are hosted on someones 40,000 acre weekend ranch. Fortunately on those hunts, there's always someone to take the meat and put it to good use.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

blizzak

<Silver Donator>
i didn't get a doe tag this year and its killing me. 3 does called into my spot this morning and i have to let them wander off. biggest highlight was 2 snorts i gotbut he didnt come i n when i challenged him