Insurance bros, lend me your aid

Jovec

?
I was recently rear-ended on the freeway in an older car I own, probably at around a 25-30mph difference. The other driver's insurance has accepted liability and I'm sure is going to declare my car a total loss. I'd probably need about 2x the KBB value to replace my car with something comparable (which was very well maintained, had low mileage for it's age, and everything worked), but I fear their offer probably won't even match the KBB value. Do they even include taxes in their offers on a replacement car purchase (I'd have to pay almost 10%)?

What are my options, just to not accept their first offer and push for more? If they don't offer more, do I need to engage a lawyer? I'd hate the go the ambulance chaser route, but it seems like I'm going to get screwed here. I just don't want this to cost me anything out of pocket, I'm not looking for whiplash money. If they spent the 3 or 4 grand to repair my car I'd be perfectly happy.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
My 110lb wife in a compact car rear ended some morbidly obese cow in a ford excursion at 3 mph in wall-to-wall traffic resulting in $500 of total damage between both cars (if i recall, something like that). She's suing my wife for $500,000 despite insurance being willing to pay policy limits to just settle the fucking thing. This happened 5 years ago. It's still ongoing.

If you go that route, expect resolution in 7-8 years.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
If they are really at fault you can push them a little without threatening them right off the bat.

1. Any major items that have value like tires you bought recently have that receipt ready.

2. Shop for similar vehicles with similar mileage and know what they are selling for

3. Ask the adjuster to put you back to how you were the day before the accident. Stress you only want to be made whole and you'll be happy.

So long as you're reasonable you should be OK. Yes they pay the tax on the value.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My 110lb wife in a compact car rear ended some morbidly obese cow in a ford excursion at 3 mph in wall-to-wall traffic resulting in $500 of total damage between both cars (if i recall, something like that). She's suing my wife for $500,000 despite insurance being willing to pay policy limits to just settle the fucking thing. This happened 5 years ago. It's still ongoing.

poundsign reasonswhythiscountryisgoingtohell

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Stuff White Trash People Like: #7 - Settlement Checks

At least once in each white trash person's life, his or her ship comes in. Be it a slip and fall at Wal-Mart or a food poisoning claim from Krystal, every white trash person in America will receive at least one large cash legal settlement. This payment is known in white trash circles as a "settlement check."

White trash people are almost always, "waitin' on a settlement check." Specifically, in any given commercial situation, white trash people offer to the seller as a sort of collateral or credit rating enhancement, the information that, though Mr. White Trash's funds are temporarily depleted, a settlement check is imminent and all roadblocks to purchase will be cleared.

Once the settlement check arrives it is quickly spent, often on a pit bull, a cell phone minute recharge, and additional rent to own furniture.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OH SORRY DID I OFFEND YOU WITH MY RACIST POST MR. ARIZONA GUY????

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
OH SORRY DID I OFFEND YOU WITH MY RACIST POST MR. ARIZONA GUY????
Lol no. Im just saying all the poor trashy types sit on their asses trying to scam someone someway. Believe me, I work at a company that deals with this very issue, half the client base isnt white.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I think insurance brought part of this on to themselves. I got hit while stopped about 20 years ago. Guy in front of me was making a left turn on a 2 lane road. Guy hit me going 70mph in a van (in a 55mph zone). Pretty much crushed my truck. Luckily there was a cop behind the guy turning who saw it. Behind him was a volunteer fireman I went to school with. They couldn't believe when they go the door open I was still alive. I literally had the seat crumple up under the dash. Didn't hit anything.

Anyway the guys insurance was being a pain. I finally showed up to talk to them. I told them all I wanted was them to pay for the cat scan I had, new vehicle and 1 days lost pay for being sore as shit that week.

He threw extra money at me and I didn't have to sign a "don't sue us" deal. They don't know how to deal with honest people I guess.

Guess I'm not white trash enough.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think insurance brought part of this on to themselves. I got hit while stoppedabout 20 years ago. Guy in front of me was making a left turn on a 2 lane road. Guy hit me going 70mph in a van (in a 55mph zone). Pretty much crushed my truck. Luckily there was a cop behind the guy turning who saw it. Behind him was a volunteer fireman I went to school with. They couldn't believe when they go the door open I was still alive. I literally had the seat crumple up under the dash. Didn't hit anything.

Anyway the guys insurance was being a pain. I finally showed up to talk to them. I told them all I wanted was them to pay for the cat scan I had, new vehicle and 1 days lost pay for being sore as shit that week.

He threw extra money at me and I didn't have to sign a "don't sue us" deal. They don't know how to deal with honest people I guess.

Guess I'm not white trash enough.
I spotted the difference!

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Insurance usually pays book retail plus sales tax. Unless you just drove the car off the lot it seems like a solid deal to me