Interesting, Non Political News

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Great article, if anyone is interested in reading about the type of work I do and the type of thing I'm excited about AI helping out with in the future.

Snippet:

Traditional Machine Learning Classification​

Hexagon’s point cloud classification is based on deep learning where the point cloud is input to a neural network. However, there were simpler, and less efficient machine learning techniques used in the past. To contrast the new and old methods, Metzler offered the following explanation:

“Let me first explain traditional methods of machine learning,” said Metzler. “Traditional machine learning is based on hand-crafted features, e.g., red, green, blue, planarity, linearity, etc. In total, maybe 64 different features. For each point these features are computed, which results in a feature vector with 64 values. For example, if we made a graph of 2D feature space, with green, bottom to top, and planarity from left to right, we would expect that a point belonging to vegetation with little planarity would be in the upper left quadrant. Repeating this for many points we would expect that all of most vegetation points would cluster in that region of the graph (see Figure 1).

PCC%20Figure%201.png.large.1024x1024.png
Figure 1 - An example of a traditional method of machine learning classification. | Source: Hexagon
“For human labelling of training data, we know that the correct answer for each colour/planarity pair,” said Metzler. "The 'traditional' machine learning algorithm is now based on this data, deciding best where to put the clusters by drawing a 2D line. In this simplified case (see Figure 2), the line defines the model as a result of the training process.”

PCC%20Figure%202.png.large.1024x1024.png
Figure 2 - Resultant model from a traditional machine learning classification process. | Source: Hexagon
“When we apply this model to new data, we can compute, for example, for point features green and planarity. If it lies on the left side of the line, the resulting class is vegetation,” said Metzler. “If it is on the right side of the line, it could be a building. But in reality, we do not just have two features, but as many as 64. Then the line becomes a hyper-plane, splitting the volume into a 64-dimensional features space.”

Combinations of features could be evaluated in this manner. Per the example, green points with little planarity might be an indication for vegetation. However, colour would not necessarily add to the classification. Not all vegetation is consistently green (especially seasonally). It could also be a house, for instance, that has a green colour, or a green car, as those would have a higher level of planarity.

“We defined a set of features typical for each point and computed these,” said Metzler. “And then the algorithm had to determine, from a training process where we fed in a lot of point clouds, a correct prediction. From that, it finds out what are the important features for each class—it learns how to map input to output.”

That was how it worked in the past - machine learning at a rudimentary level.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I don't know these wrenches but I can take a guess.

There are a billion or so devices connected to the internet right (*) now that have no reason to be. Why are they? They're that way because their designers didnt want to bother with buttons or any of that "old fashioned boomer tech", they wanted a "slick modern interface".

So they made it connect to the users smartphone. But wait, how can we connect? Whats the easiest and cheapest way? Wifi.

So now we're in this hilarious situation where - forget all about hacking - none of the shit works if your wifi goes down. Or if you're out of range. Or theres a power outage. Or theres some weird problem with your router or internet connectivity. Never fear. As gamers, we all know none of that ever happens!

Household appliances. Toys. Hobby stuff, like the lights on your aquarium and shit.

All of it ruined by faggots who wanted to swipe and scroll instead of pushing a regular fucking button. Fucking smartphones: theres nothing they can't ruin.

[* I pulled this number out of my ass]
Apparently we're all wrong.

These need to be internet connected because they track the torque of every bolt, configure the bolts for certain torque patterns. This is all fed into a supply chain control system that keeps track of all of this. Why? Well, the answer is exactly what Boeing is going through now: there's an audit trail of who tightened every single bolt, when, and how much.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Apparently we're all wrong.

These need to be internet connected because they track the torque of every bolt, configure the bolts for certain torque patterns. This is all fed into a supply chain control system that keeps track of all of this. Why? Well, the answer is exactly what Boeing is going through now: there's an audit trail of who tightened every single bolt, when, and how much.

was an audit trail

giphy.gif

• 1Worf

Cybsled

This commercial is probably the last time I even thought about that gum. They used to play it a dozen times a day during the summer it felt like

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I've seen enough "urban utopias" to know they usually fail rather badly, because the designers never understand people. Last one I watched a doc about was the Amsterdam "utopian quarter", which turned into a crime-infested hellhole, attracted only immigrants and became a ghetto.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

I've seen enough "urban utopias" to know they usually fail rather badly, because the designers never understand people. Last one I watched a doc about was the Amsterdam "utopian quarter", which turned into a crime-infested hellhole, attracted only immigrants and became a ghetto.

Any project that focuses on residential density and ignores the supporting commercial and retail requirements is always going to be tough. This gets ultra compounded by construction that begins to fail or has inadequate upkeep, which usually ends up being the final nail.

Almost all the 60s Urban Future Living ideas had those issues - services and stores dry up and upkeep begins to falter. No one wants to live in a decaying concrete box that isn’t close to where people work or shop

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This is an interesting case for the GMO debate.
1707758411873.png

I'm sure we have some GMO opponents on this forum. What do you think of this one?
  • Genetically modified, but using a naturally occurring process (albeit a highly manipulated natural process)
  • The compound is already produced by tomato plants, this just makes more of it in the fruit.
  • They propose health benefits, including evidence of lifespan extension in mice.

I'm in, I'd try them.

• 1Mother of God

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This is an interesting case for the GMO debate.
View attachment 514053
I'm sure we have some GMO opponents on this forum. What do you think of this one?
  • Genetically modified, but using a naturally occurring process (albeit a highly manipulated natural process)
  • The compound is already produced by tomato plants, this just makes more of it in the fruit.
  • They propose health benefits, including evidence of lifespan extension in mice.

I'm in, I'd try them.

The problem is there's no distinction between breeding strains (done for thousands of years) and genetic modification by other means.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Can you imagine the news interviewing the witnesses that were close by??

" Holy Hell that was a serious fucking explosion like it was crazy how the car just went boom and suddenly there was this white cloud and then I started to feel real good and I just could not believe how wonderful everything felt and how lucky I was to be alive and I feel alive I feel like a million bucks I am going to go run in traffic bye now..."

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Real question is how do those tomatoes taste?

They would make salads look pretty at least lol

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
USGS & ESRI Set up a web app for browsing historical topo maps. This thing is really cool.

1709139268372.png

They're all georeferenced and downloadable as Geotiffs too, so it's easy for me to download them, pull in some terrain and apply a hillshade.

1709139354279.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users