Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Apple is the reason why we have nudes of many celebs though.
Stacey Sleeps Over GIF

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you really want to buy into PLTR, I would write puts at an out of the money strike that you would be happy owning. My gut says this current level is really being driven by AI hype. I wouldn't be a buyer at this price.

Now I just need Jim Cramer to say this and I'll be back in the green baby!!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
This. Everything Apple sells is inferior in some major way to the alternative but sells for a huge premium, and a large fraction of the population just guzzles that shit down and cant wait for more.

It is the biggest tech investing paradox for me. How could they even survive let alone be like the juggernaut they are. But objectively, they just keep on trucking.

Blue text is a powerful drug.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Ever see a comedy skit that refers to like some movie or TV show you've never seen or heard of? Thats the experience I'm having right now WRT the blue text comment. I know from experience that if I ask I'm gonna get even more confused so I'm just gonna leave it alone.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Ever see a comedy skit that refers to like some movie or TV show you've never seen or heard of? Thats the experience I'm having right now WRT the blue text comment. I know from experience that if I ask I'm gonna get even more confused so I'm just gonna leave it alone.

iPhone text shows blue to other iPhone users and there's a ton of neat features for text threads.

If an Android user joins the mix it fucks it all up, there's no longer any cool features, and their text shows up green.

• 2Worf

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
LoL. Thanks, that clarifies it. How hilarious.

I wonder what my flip phone texts do to their silly bullshit.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ford just went over 13, this area has been resistance for quite awhile. Bought a very small amount of 11.5 puts for 7/7.

• 2Like

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Curious what some of the old hands here think of this vid by Heresy Financial:

It elucidates really well the sentiment I've had about 'market timing' vs the 'stonks always go up mentality'. Though maybe even that isn't phrasing it quite correctly. As an example he mentions the 20+ year run after the crash of '29 it took to get back to the price you were at in 29. Thinking in such geologic timeframes isn't useful for the individual. The dotcom crash is another one, it took 13 years to get back to those levels, and if you adjust for inflation and things like money printing it looks even worse.

Not sure I have an overall point here other than a big fat frowny face though... so, yeah.
:(

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nvds does look attractive.

It elucidates really well the sentiment I've had about 'market timing' vs the 'stonks always go up mentality'. Though maybe even that isn't phrasing it quite correctly. As an example he mentions the 20+ year run after the crash of '29 it took to get back to the price you were at in 29. Thinking in such geologic timeframes isn't useful for the individual. The dotcom crash is another one, it took 13 years to get back to those levels, and if you adjust for inflation and things like money printing it looks even worse.

Not sure I have an overall point here other than a big fat frowny face though... so, yeah.

I think its just another aspect of being lucky.

No different than being born in 1925 and youre entire childhood consisting of the great depression then ww2 v being born in 1945 and your childhood consisting of our goldenage.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Didn't watch the video, but the flaw in that reasoning is that the amount of people that lump sum in at the very top and sell at the very bottom is so small it's also probably non existent.

If you were investing at all during the in-between periods, you did well.

Similarly, take someone who retired at the peak in 2001, which is a very likely scenario. Hopefully they didn't just fucking sell everything at the bottom. Yeah, it sucks that it took a decade to get back to when they retired, but they then also had the largest bull market ever right after.

It's also why the worst years for retiring are actually the 1960s. Inflation fucking hurts bad.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users