Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don't options trade.

Mostly because I can't figure out the interface.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
It might not seem like it to the people here, but options are incredibly complicated.

It's EZ though! See, there's 2 kinds, calls and puts. But naturally there's 2 sides to each of those, buying and selling. And buying one and selling the other are basically the same of course. Except when they're not.

There's also a time factor to consider which can negate the value of your investment if you screw up. There's also the price, which is good in certain ranges and bad in other ranges, but only before a certain amount of time or after another certain amount of time. Which changes. It's also super cheap to do! But if you screw up sometimes it can wipe out your entire portfolio in one trade because there's a 10-1 factor you need to be aware of. There's also the codes by which these things are listed and traded which look like gibberish, but you need to be aware of or you can get burned.

Stay sane, exile!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It might not seem like it to the people here, but options are incredibly complicated.

It's EZ though! See, there's 2 kinds, calls and puts. But naturally there's 2 sides to each of those, buying and selling. And buying one and selling the other are basically the same of course. Except when they're not.

There's also a time factor to consider which can negate the value of your investment if you screw up. There's also the price, which is good in certain ranges and bad in other ranges, but only before a certain amount of time or after another certain amount of time. Which changes. It's also super cheap to do! But if you screw up sometimes it can wipe out your entire portfolio in one trade because there's a 10-1 factor you need to be aware of. There's also the codes by which these things are listed and traded which look like gibberish, but you need to be aware of or you can get burned.

Stay sane, exile!
99% of what you posted is options strategy which is indeed deep water for many. Mist said he could figure out the trade ticket or the option chain (interface could be either/both?)

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
99% of what you posted is options strategy which is indeed deep water for many. Mist said he could figure out the trade ticket or the option chain (interface could be either/both?)
It just never feels like I'm clicking the right buttons to do the thing I intend to do, so I don't.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It just never feels like I'm clicking the right buttons to do the thing I intend to do, so I don't.
So much innuendo possibilities here!

I've definitely become interested in at least learning to do some basic options after all the discussion here. But it's low on my priority list of things to take care of.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Depending on the platform its most likely the exact same trade ticket as it is for stocks. You use the Options Chain to strategize your selection and then you buy or sell the specific options contract using the trade ticket.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So much innuendo possibilities here!

I've definitely become interested in at least learning to do some basic options after all the discussion here. But it's low on my priority list of things to take care of.
Got you covered fam...

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Blue Origin ramp up? Or waiting for that mega cruise liner to go back on the market?
I have always assumed once the founders leave their companies for good if they divest a lot because they are no longer in control of it.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Stay sane, exile!
No thx nerd.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Blue Origin ramp up? Or waiting for that mega cruise liner to go back on the market?
I have always assumed once the founders leave their companies for good if they divest a lot because they are no longer in control of it.

Probably just this. I was listening to Bezos on Lex Fridman's podcast and I'm pretty sure he said he's going to stop throwing infinite money at Blue Origin.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Thinking of selling my IXUS shares in my self managed portfolio. They make up 16% of the total. Majority stake is in FXAIX with 7.5% in FSMAX and 15% in qqqm.

As I’ve mentioned before my advisor managed portfolio is heavy on the EM shit so now I’m sitting here thinking why be redundant with an international hedge in my self managed portfolio. Also my managed portfolio is heavy in bonds (this is due to poor past spending habit so that’s on me) which is another hedge. Thoughts?

I know no one here recommended international but I guess putting that aside I want confirmation that I’m being redundant by holding IXUS and should just up my FXAIX position. My total IXUS position is down .19bp while my FXAIX position is up a total 5.56bp.

• 1Hodjing

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Short answer: Confirmed! Sell it.

Long answer: Let's talk international markets!

Way back when the dinosaurs roamed, there was a theory that holding international made sense as a hedge against the US dollar and US monetary policy. The past 25 years or so has not borne that thesis out.

IXUS has a lot of exposure to large international corporations with a global customer base. Meaning it has substantial exposure to the US market and US monetary policy, which itself is ALSO made up of large international corporations with a global customer base (Apple vs Samsung, Nvidia vs TSM, Eli Lily vs Novartis, Tesla vs. Toyota, Exxon vs. Shell, P&G vs Unilever, etc etc etc--admittedly, the weights are heavier in S&P, but the concept holds). So what is this hedge really doing?

Let's do the sniff test first. Doesn't seem to be insulated from any macro declines:
Chart Dom vs INT.png

However, a hedge still has value if it falls but falls less (or grows more) than the thing it is hedging against, so let's look at every year IXUS outperformed FXAIX over the last decade-ish and see what you 'saved' due to the hedge:
1706968190446.png

Not very impressive. Note that down year in 2018, where IXUS lost more vs. FXAIX than it saved in sum over a decade. So it isn't even a reliable hedge against short-term adverse conditions. And to get that spotty hedge above, you had to give up something like +250% returns over the last 10 years.

True EM (not EM like... China EM) might do better as a hedge due to their differing industry mix and reach, but understand that the thing you're hedging against in that case isn't really the US dollar, it's global market exposure. And hedging the risks also means hedging the benefits.

For me, the US market is sufficiently diverse, and my belief is that (as above) domestic gains in the long term will outweigh any international short-term 'shock absorption' capabilities.

Side note, I'm not sure if you meant to use bp as in basis points, which are 1/100th of a percentage point.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users