Investing General Discussion

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
So Teradyne was added instead. Shame I only have 10 shares, was a nice after hours bump.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm confused, because those numbers don't seem to be big enough to move the entire market. I only skimmed though; were they leveraging? A few billion dollars sounds like a lot, but Apple for instance has a market cap of $2T. Throwing a couple billion at it wouldn't be that big a deal.
Its a combo of things. Mainly people see huge call options bets and start going "hmmm, someone knows something I dont" and begin piggy backing. If he is buying the biggest companies (hello AAPL) they have an outsized impact on the index movement because of market cap. It also explains why the DJIA was lagging. It isnt market capped its price capped.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
Call options are inherently levered, so yeah, dropping $4 billion on calls on a concentrated portfolio of tech names is huge (combined with Sanrith's point about r/WSB robinhood traders crowding into the trades).

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I like this company and might let this dog run for a while. I dont own anything in the materials sector and this might be a keeper for a bit.
Yep. Read a lot on Mp Materials this week. Will be great if Trump gets another 4 years to buttfuck China. If Biden wins, not so much. Now I just have to figure out how and when to exercise these stupid warrants I bought.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yep. Read a lot on Mp Materials this week. Will be great if Trump gets another 4 years to buttfuck China. If Biden wins, not so much. Now I just have to figure out how and when to exercise these stupid warrants I bought.
Each company is a little different. I think on this one I just played the stock. Ill do some reading and get back to you. Also if Congress can merge the two bills and make law the US rare earth subsidies this could sky-rocket on the news of it.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Each company is a little different. I think on this one I just played the stock. Ill do some reading and get back to you. Also if Congress can merge the two bills and make law the US rare earth subsidies this could sky-rocket on the news of it.
I do know the transition is supposed to happen Q4 this year. Mp bought what was left of Molycorp and needs to upgrade/purchase assets once they get the cash from the deal. Their target is 5,000 tons of the two most common rare earths in 2022. No domestic rivals have even broke ground on anything and they have the already functioning Mountain Pass mine.

Seems solid but its mining.....boom/bust is the name of that game and always will be.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I do know the transition is supposed to happen Q4 this year. Mp bought what was left of Molycorp and needs to upgrade/purchase assets once they get the cash from the deal. Their target is 5,000 tons of the two most common rare earths in 2022. No domestic rivals have even broke ground on anything and they have the already functioning Mountain Pass mine.

Seems solid but its mining.....boom/bust is the name of that game and always will be.
Yeah my understanding is others have tried to make Mountain Pass work but it keeps flopping. Someone else comes along, buys the location and tries again. This tells me that its bad management. The site itself is supposed to be a rich site. Maybe they get Fed support and subsidies for a while to get things running well.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I've very close to selling it, but maybe I should hold. I'm talking about Lynus which is the largest rare earth supplier outside of China and they've been given a govt. contract to build a processing facility in Texas. Its a Australian company that also trades here. I dunno, I just think there maybe better places to park money than these mining companies.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
FVAC definitely starting to catch some legs. Ran up another 10% before pulling back a bit. New all-time high $16.25. I am up almost 30% so far.

Wouldn't have known about this but I believe it was you that pointed it out back when it was 11.82. Got 60 shares at the time and am just gonna let it ride. Thanks for that.

LCA is doing nicely even after the hits this week it ended above 16 after hours. Got some cheap WKHS calls for 22 bucks in Jan during that hit earlier this week. I think it'll pay off especially if they go forward with the USPS mailtruck thing.

15 shares of SHLL still going strong, will probably sell for some cash when it gets close to merger time.

OPES i believe is voting to extend their merger through sometime late Nov...probably wait till after the election but they are adding new locations or targeted too so looking forward to the rest of Q3/Q4.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A friend of mine is teaching AP macro this semester and I was speaking to her about it. I brought up this video and figured based on the current state of the Fed printing press I would post it here. If you haven't seen this before enjoy...

• 1Mother of God

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thoughts on buying Nov 20th SPY Puts? November 3rd is looking to be a complete shitshow.
Lots of people have the same idea based on open interest. Implied volatility is up 50% to 100% from historical averages. You have to do the math to see if its worth it to you.

1599403058214.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Apparently this is the cause of all the tech stocks going up before getting raped the last couple of days?

What sort of reality do we live in where a story about a guy going #YOLO with the portfolio of a bank is true. Softbank down 8% today in tokyo.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Bloodbath on the NASDAQ in premarket.

Looks like its going to be rough today

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Tesla at 362, might be epic when the Robin Hood people see big red numbers instead of free money

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
6 days ago
Vaxart stock has sunk in recent weeks, from $17 to $6.2, but this is still a huge premium to early 2020 low of $0.35.

Today in pre-market:
1599567761376.png

Vaxart Announces Oral COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Induces Potent Systemic And Mucosal Immune Responses In Preclinical Studies
8:18 am ET September 8, 2020 (Benzinga) Print
Vaxart's Oral COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Induces Potent Systemic and Mucosal Immune Responses in Preclinical Studies

Triggering mucosal immunity may be crucial for effective protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection and transmission

Vaxart's oral tablet vaccine can overcome major challenges of injectable vaccines

SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., Sept. 08, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Vaxart, Inc. (NASDAQ:VXRT), a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing oral recombinant vaccines that are administered by tablet rather than by injection, today announced pre-publication of a manuscript titled "Preclinical studies of a recombinant adenoviral mucosal vaccine to prevent SARS-CoV-2 infection." The manuscript describes the pre-clinical development of a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) vaccine based on Vaxart's oral adenovirus platform and is available on an online preprint server at https://biorxiv.org/cgi/content/short/2020.09.04.283853v1.

"Vaxart is developing an oral COVID-19 vaccine that will address many of the key challenges of injectable vaccines," said Andrei Floroiu, chief executive officer of Vaxart. "Cold storage distribution and the need for medical personnel as well as having to travel to vaccination sites and dislike of needles pose significant barriers to the vaccine uptake required for successful mass vaccination campaigns. We believe our room temperature stable, easy to administer oral vaccine provides a unique solution that overcomes these important difficulties. We look forward to advancing our COVID-19 vaccine candidate into the clinic."

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Lol that Tesla YouTube guy hyper change isn't really excited about making videos right now. Nothing new for a week.

He sold 10% to buy a Tesla last week, and quit his job.