Investing General Discussion

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Landed a new job recently so started the process of rolling stuff over to Charles Schwab. Default setting is a targeted retirement fund. Surely there are some better options right? They have a JPMCB Large Cap Growth Fund which seems alright to me and there is an option for a self-directed one. I'm interested in learning more about investing and the idea of self-directed one appeals to me. I guess I could split it up as well. I'll setup a meeting with someone from Schwab, is financial planning type services typically included with employer-sponsored retirement accounts?

I'm curious as to thoughts of board members here, I understand I need to do my own DD and that people shouldn't give financial advice etc, but would like to ask anyways.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, it appears I will have a large financial influx this week. I noticed when doing my taxes this year that I can put money into a Roth IRA for 2020 up until 3/31? I am asking because I will have enough to put in 2 years' worth, and would like to make sure that would be legally correct. If that is incorrect I can just put that money into other things.

Edit: I am also planning on going with Vanguard, or are there better place to go for a Roth IRA?

Last edited:

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, it appears I will have a large financial influx this week. I noticed when doing my taxes this year that I can put money into a Roth IRA for 2020 up until 3/31? I am asking because I will have enough to put in 2 years' worth, and would like to make sure that would be legally correct. If that is incorrect I can just put that money into other things.

Edit: I am also planning on going with Vanguard, or are there better place to go for a Roth IRA?

Yes, you can contribute to your 2020 IRA up until at least 3/31, though I think you may have longer due to corona. Also, Fidelity > Vanguard. Fidelity's rates are just as good or better and their U.I. is ten times better

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Landed a new job recently so started the process of rolling stuff over to Charles Schwab. Default setting is a targeted retirement fund. Surely there are some better options right? They have a JPMCB Large Cap Growth Fund which seems alright to me and there is an option for a self-directed one. I'm interested in learning more about investing and the idea of self-directed one appeals to me. I guess I could split it up as well. I'll setup a meeting with someone from Schwab, is financial planning type services typically included with employer-sponsored retirement accounts?

I'm curious as to thoughts of board members here, I understand I need to do my own DD and that people shouldn't give financial advice etc, but would like to ask anyways.

One of the things to look at with funds is expense ratio. OLGAX which is the JPMCB you listed is .94% which is very high. The more popular index funds can be as low as .015% which is a huge difference in overall return.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

My employer allowed self directed with Schwab too. The large cap growth fund sounds good and you could always transfer a percentage to the self directed to play with yourself if you want to get into this whole day and swing trade thing. All depends on your risk tolerance. I had most of my money in 401k large cap growth for a long while and thought I was doing good with my 10 to 25 percent a year last few years, but since transferring the bulk of it to Schwab self directed my rate of return is much higher. BUT that is no guarantee it stays that way.

Do you have a separate personal investment account thats not tax advantaged? I use fidelty for that and my "plan" was to stick to long term stuff in there and just do the swing trading in the tax advantaged Schwab self directed and therefore take cap. gains out the picture. I still have not acted on that yet because I'm still too addicted to trading and the bigger gains, but on paper that is the way to do it.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

yes both Roth and HSA you can contribute until tax day or some such. So its a good way to catch up if you slacked the previous year

(and the HSA will save you taxes too , its like a mini401k)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone else use Fidelity Active Trader Pro, and if so has it suddenly stopped working? I keep getting an error the past few days, and it isn't working at all.

Edit: As I post that it is suddenly working again. Ignore me

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Ran the numbers, and I am going to have a few thousand more that I am thinking of putting into some sort of fire and forget investment. Should I just toss it into the account I have with my company for my 401k, or is there anything else you guys would recommend. I am not interested in actively managing anything.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ran the numbers, and I am going to have a few thousand more that I am thinking of putting into some sort of fire and forget investment. Should I just toss it into the account I have with my company for my 401k, or is there anything else you guys would recommend. I am not interested in actively managing anything.
Is this extra after you contributed to your Roth for both years? If you're already maxed on your Roth then look into adding it to your 401k or HSA. If your Roth isn't maxed, I'd open an account with Fidelity and stick it in some flavor of FTEC/SPY/QQQ etc Index fund.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Is this extra after you contributed to your Roth for both years? If you're already maxed on your Roth then look into adding it to your 401k or HSA. If your Roth isn't maxed, I'd open an account with Fidelity and stick it in some flavor of FTEC/SPY/QQQ etc Index fund.
Thank you. I don't do HSA because I use max out of pocket every year, so I will just put this in the 401k then. Will make it simple. And yes, Roth will be maxed out for 2020-2021.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Thank you. I don't do HSA because I use max out of pocket every year, so I will just put this in the 401k then. Will make it simple. And yes, Roth will be maxed out for 2020-2021.
With ya there. HSA is good if you can sacrifice your plan and make it work. I can't like you. No HSA for me. Healthcare man is definitely losing out in the deal though.

fris

Vyemm Raider
In my company, max out of pocket is lower with HSA. PPO is good you go to the doc a good bit, not if you never go or always go

Aevian

One of the things to look at with funds is expense ratio. OLGAX which is the JPMCB you listed is .94% which is very high. The more popular index funds can be as low as .015% which is a huge difference in overall return.
Thanks for this info. When I look at the factsheet on the website, it says the annual expenses are 0.40, but when I look at the OLGAX that you mention, I do see the .94% expense ratio. Is there something else I need to look at on the fact sheet to get that?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thanks for this info. When I look at the factsheet on the website, it says the annual expenses are 0.40, but when I look at the OLGAX that you mention, I do see the .94% expense ratio. Is there something else I need to look at on the fact sheet to get that?

Maybe your 401k subsidizes the expense ratio a bit, even then .40 is quite high. What other index's do they have available?

Aevian

My employer allowed self directed with Schwab too. The large cap growth fund sounds good and you could always transfer a percentage to the self directed to play with yourself if you want to get into this whole day and swing trade thing. All depends on your risk tolerance. I had most of my money in 401k large cap growth for a long while and thought I was doing good with my 10 to 25 percent a year last few years, but since transferring the bulk of it to Schwab self directed my rate of return is much higher. BUT that is no guarantee it stays that way.

Do you have a separate personal investment account thats not tax advantaged? I use fidelty for that and my "plan" was to stick to long term stuff in there and just do the swing trading in the tax advantaged Schwab self directed and therefore take cap. gains out the picture. I still have not acted on that yet because I'm still too addicted to trading and the bigger gains, but on paper that is the way to do it.
I'm not sure what you mean by a separate personal tax account that's not tax-advantaged? I just have my employer 401k that I'm maxing out, then looking to max out a new HSA. I won't have a separate IRA or anything like that.