Investing General Discussion

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Its in the summary tab, but only seems to appear on accounts older than a year. I can see it on my HSA, and One of my Brokerage accounts, but not my SPAC YOLO account.

ah ok, yeah I see it on my older company stock purchase plan account but not my personal account which I did not really open until next month a year ago.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
For all those looking for the widget. On desktop click summary tab (usually the default tab) then click the investment account you want the summary of on the left.

On the app you have to click accounts at bottom, then select the account to look at, then summary at the top.

6772FC4F-2F1C-4B35-9EE9-4CFD394EDA6F.jpeg

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
So TRIT:

Its spiked up 18 percent this morning and of course did it seconds AFTER I sold 30 contracts on covered calls 2/19 at 12.5 strike....... those same covered calls could of netted me double what I got for them 30 mins ago. jesus.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thiel filed for Bridgetown 3 SPAC. Looks like he is trying to get first player advantage into SE Asia with SPACs.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So TRIT:

Its spiked up 18 percent this morning and of course did it seconds AFTER I sold 30 contracts on covered calls 2/19 at 12.5 strike....... those same covered calls could of netted me double what I got for them 30 mins ago. jesus.
I feel your pain.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Such a huge upswing in the market this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see a back test of previous high pivot. We have broken below a macro trend line already on the SPY. Due for a healthy pullback, plus it is Friday profit taking day for the institutional traders.

I trimmed quite a few positions going into the weekend. I am pleasantly up about 14% YTD on my day trade / swing trade account. (Never more than ~40% market exposed in any given trades)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes Since it is not possible to put trailing stops on those types of trades, BTNB what do you typically do? Just set new safety limits as it goes up, watch it all day, etc? Or do you just generally hold until you hear a merger announcement then dump?

I'm not so much asking for when to sell as I know that can be subjective, but how to sell. Just pick some % increase I'm happy with and drop it?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Man SLYV has been insane. I’m up 50% on it since September. One of my larger positions too.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Also I have no idea how I beat Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes and Blazin Blazin rate. All I do is swing trade, nothing else.

Not surprising at all to me that others will have substantially higher returns, the market is rewarding risk taking in a huge way. I'm quite risk averse , the pride of my method for me is the beta against market. I perform strongest in sideways markets, followed by down, and last in strong up markets. I very rarely have a negative month while still returning what I think are very healthy returns. People buying momentum could easily see 70%+ annual returns, until they don't.

The right method is different for everyone, a balancing act of knowledge, temperament, and time make the answer different for each person. Some traders will go with momentum which right now is gangbusters and recognize when the tide is moving and change strategies, the less experienced will keep at what was working not seeing the change in the market till it's too late and the habits that had been making them money begin costing them money.

This is why one of the things I recommend for anyone finding their way and developing their method/strategy is make sure you keep track of each type of trade you make and put them into baskets and keep notes so that you can later properly analyze what is working and what isn't and the conditions in which they worked and didn't.

I just went back and counted I have 37 down months in the last 240 months (15% of the time) and most of those where when I was still quite new. In the last 60 months I have had 4 down months (6.7% of the time).

This plays into why I don't believe anyone can really solidify a trading plan in a short time frame as you need to trade in different types of markets which can be many years apart. Part of why secular bear markets can be devastating is that they are rare enough that an entire generation of money managers, at the time one starts, will have never seen one before. The longer term secular trends 30-40 yr trends are a result of humans going through the same learning process generation after generation. Getting a little lost in the weeds but I expect the Millennials generation to have their secular bear market sometime in the 2030s and have all these bull market axioms turned on their head and we lose another decade or more like (1930s) , (1968-1982), (2000-2013)

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
man, really tempted to move my retirements into cash for a year or so

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Not surprising at all to me that others will have substantially higher returns, the market is rewarding risk taking in a huge way. I'm quite risk averse , the pride of my method for me is the beta against market. I perform strongest in sideways markets, followed by down, and last in strong up markets. I very rarely have a negative month while still returning what I think are very healthy returns. People buying momentum could easily see 70%+ annual returns, until they don't.

The right method is different for everyone, a balancing act of knowledge, temperament, and time make the answer different for each person. Some traders will go with momentum which right now is gangbusters and recognize when the tide is moving and change strategies, the less experienced will keep at what was working not seeing the change in the market till it's too late and the habits that had been making them money begin costing them money.

This is why one of the things I recommend for anyone finding their way and developing their method/strategy is make sure you keep track of each type of trade you make and put them into baskets and keep notes so that you can later properly analyze what is working and what isn't and the conditions in which they worked and didn't.

I just went back and counted I have 37 down months in the last 240 months (15% of the time) and most of those where when I was still quite new. In the last 60 months I have had 4 down months (6.7% of the time).

This plays into why I don't believe anyone can really solidify a trading plan in a short time frame as you need to trade in different types of markets which can be many years apart. Part of why secular bear markets can be devastating is that they are rare enough that an entire generation of money managers, at the time one starts, will have never seen one before. The longer term secular trends 30-40 yr trends are a result of humans going through the same learning process generation after generation. Getting a little lost in the weeds but I expect the Millennials generation to have their secular bear market sometime in the 2030s and have all these bull market axioms turned on their head and we lose another decade or more like (1930s) , (1968-1982), (2000-2013)
Yeah I’m going to fail when it’s a bear market I’m sure. I need to get into more advanced shit like covered calls and puts but just haven’t put the time in to feel comfortable enough to start.

• 1Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

On this note, I highly recommend using a tracking tool to see what you are doing right and wrong. (Active traders)

I personally use TraderVue, and it gives a hell of a lot of insight without having to mess around with your own Excel spreadsheets.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users