Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thanks. So if you just want the stuff that most people on this board are buying, it's "U" right? Because units don't drop to less than $10?
Not all brokers use the same designations. Some will make it AACU, some will make it AAC/U, some will make it AAC.U
Best method is type in Ares Acquisition in the search box and it should show you all the options and you will see how it sets up the symbol.

The above goes for warrants as well. AACWS or AAC/WS or AAC.WS or AACW, AAC/W, AAC.W

Its a pain in the ass, especially at first. Just search by name.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not all brokers use the same designations. Some will make it AACU, some will make it AAC/U, some will make it AAC.U
Best method is type in Ares Acquisition in the search box and it should show you all the options and you will see how it sets up the symbol.

The above goes for warrants as well. AACWS or AAC/WS or AAC.WS or AACW, AAC/W, AAC.W

Its a pain in the ass, especially at first. Just search by name.
But ultimately I want whichever "U" designation they are using, not the "W"?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
But ultimately I want whichever "U" designation they are using, not the "W"?
Look at the examples here searching for AJAX, AJAX, AJAX.UT and AJAX.WT
AJAX shares, AJAX units and AJAX warrants

Screenshot_20210205-234257_Samsung Internet.jpg

• 2Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I'm pretty sure it's been linked here before (probably even within a day or two), but I found this useful for understanding warrants.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm pretty sure it's been linked here before (probably even within a day or two), but I found this useful for understanding warrants.

Lol I must be dense. I though we didn't give a shit about warrants because (with a few rare exceptions) no one is holding a SPAC beyond the first big rumor bump? Have I totally missed what you guys are saying? I thought it was buy SPAC units early, wait for a rumor bump, sell, rinse and repeat with a new SPAC? Warrants wouldn't factor into that equation unless I'm missing something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My main watch for Monday will be $ANY - Sphere 3D. Mostly chart related, but they did make a new acquisition in late January of a company called Rainmaker that looks promising. Chart is setting up to an almost identical run up last July, and if it wasn't for a small spike in December, char would be a near perfect cup and handle from late Sept. to Feb. The float is small at almost 5.5 million shares available. I sold to take profits today, but I will get back in if there isn't a sale off come Monday.

1612592697204.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I'm still reading alot and have two questions about dividends and long investments. First off, is there any point as a small time retail investor to put money into stocks which pay out a dividend? The payout doesn't seem all that exciting if you hold a small amount of shares. Would it not be better (although probably more difficult) to look for stocks which you buy and sell of within the year to profit off the price going down/up?
For long investments, what timeframe are we talking about here? A few weeks/months or rather years? Do you 'bet' on the stock price continuously going up over 2 or 3 years (or forever if it's Amazon)? Or is it ultimately the same as with everything else, figure out what percentage return you want to see and sell when it hits that goal?

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I'm still reading alot and have two questions about dividends and long investments. First off, is there any point as a small time retail investor to put money into stocks which pay out a dividend? The payout doesn't seem all that exciting if you hold a small amount of shares. Would it not be better (although probably more difficult) to look for stocks which you buy and sell of within the year to profit off the price going down/up?
For long investments, what timeframe are we talking about here? A few weeks/months or rather years? Do you 'bet' on the stock price continuously going up over 2 or 3 years (or forever if it's Amazon)? Or is it ultimately the same as with everything else, figure out what percentage return you want to see and sell when it hits that goal?
It depends on your goals.

I used to work for a company that offered employees a discount to buy its own stock and pays dividends. I had it setup as a drip (re-invests on payout and buys back that same stock every payout period which was quarterly) and is now up to 1200 a year and just buys more and more of the same stock every time.

Others I got monthly and others are quarterly like AT& T and MRCC use that as a revenue stream to help buy other stock or buy more of that stock on a dip using a 90 day limit order. Compound interest is a powerful tool. Dividend investing over a time is known as the dividend snowball. The earlier you start the better. Time is the major factor here.

However there are some pitfalls, dividends are not guaranteed. Like Disney cutting theirs in 2020.

This might help if you want to watch it:

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Lol I must be dense. I though we didn't give a shit about warrants because (with a few rare exceptions) no one is holding a SPAC beyond the first big rumor bump? Have I totally missed what you guys are saying? I thought it was buy SPAC units early, wait for a rumor bump, sell, rinse and repeat with a new SPAC? Warrants wouldn't factor into that equation unless I'm missing something.
I don’t think anyone here really cares about warrants. I think the only reason we talk about them in this thread is because when PSTH started, those of us that got in early enough got warrants for free. On a certain date we got 1 warrant for every 11 or 12 shares or something. I haven’t done anything with them. I suppose buying and selling them could have been really rewarding as they have gone way up compared to the stock. The actual dollar value for me is low though cause like I said it was 1/12th the amount, and the warrant value is a lot lower per warrant. Mine are only worth $135 even after increasing over 100%.

I suppose you could always get lucky and the end company ends up being gang buster and you get some stock cheap but historically I’m not sure how likely that is.

B70234A2-8B38-46CE-B4D2-4098089511CA.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There are certainly reasons to buy warrants in the short term. It's a riskier move because warrants move up and down faster and in theory can also go to 0. But you can buy and sell them just like regular stock, so there's no need to think about holding them till redemption. Take ZNTE for example since most people here have that. The commons are up to 14.30, so if you bought at exactly 10.00 you'd be up about 43%. Warrants opened up at about 1.80 and at the time of this post are at 3.99, so if you bought warrants you would be up over 100%

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I want to start investing. I dont have much assets, if any really, but I am looking to invest a relatively small amount of cash (roughly only 1,000$) into the market in an attempt to get started.

Any advice on what app or platform I should use?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I want to start investing. I dont have much assets, if any really, but I am looking to invest a relatively small amount of cash (roughly only 1,000$) into the market in an attempt to get started.

Does your company have a 401k? That's usually where to start.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Check with your companies 401k, see if they have a match %, and see if they have good indexs to invest in. If they don't, next step would be to open an IRA account and start there

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Looks like Canada is extending cruise ship ban until 2022, which effectively cancels the Alaska and the New England cruise season this year. I have limit orders to get back in to cruise stocks if they get low enough, hopefully this news pushes them down to the range I want back in.

RIP my Alaska cruise that was scheduled for this June. Hopefully they give back more in credit than I paid out, as they've done with the other canceled cruises.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Looks like Canada is extending cruise ship ban until 2022, which effectively cancels the Alaska and the New England cruise season this year. I have limit orders to get back in to cruise stocks if they get low enough, hopefully this news pushes them down to the range I want back in.

RIP my Alaska cruise that was scheduled for this June. Hopefully they give back more in credit than I paid out, as they've done with the other canceled cruises.
Fuck yeah time to buy CCL!

• 2Like

fris

Vyemm Raider
My parents have 3 cruises scheduled this year. Their Alaska one has been pushed once already. If it gets pushed again, they'll lose the Alaska airline credit. I swear their goal is to blow everything and leave me nothing when then die

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
My parents have 3 cruises scheduled this year. Their Alaska one has been pushed once already. If it gets pushed again, they'll lose the Alaska airline credit. I swear their goal is to blow everything and leave me nothing when then die

Due to U.S. law, cruise ships MUST make a international port of call unless its a U.S. built ship and staffed by majority U.S. citizens. This is why like the only cruise ship in the world that does not have to make a international port of call is the Pride (Spirit??) of America , that is based in Hawaii and never leaves Hawaii.

So if Canada does not allow all the others to do their one little retarded (and very boring) stop in Victoria or Vancouver or the stops in the Canadian Atlantic provinces, those Alaska and New England cruises become illegal.

So your parents can kiss that Alaska cruise goodbye.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I lost my job due to covid. I had a good job working at ocean spray, but now im on unemployment and i want to invest a couple thousand dollars. Im not worried about losing the money perse, I just want to start investing and see where it takes me.

I just made a WeBull account.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

This goes back to the type and age of a stock. Generally, stocks are considered "growth" and "value". Growth stocks tend to be those that are "growing" their revenue streams year after year. They tend to be putting every dollar made back into the company to grow that revenue. Then there are older, more established companies. Value companies. Many of them are dominant in their sectors. They have little growth left in them but make enormous amounts of money due to their dominant position. Instead of using those earnings to grow revenue that isnt their, they return some of those profits back to the owners (shareholders) in the form of dividends.

Value investing has been back-seated for a long time because of the geriatric bull market. Some investors have never experienced investing in a multi-year bear market. Imagine an entire year when the S&P 500 is negative for the year. Owning shares in stocks that pay 3, 4 even 5% dividend yields means you are making money in those years.

Also - Older, fixed income investors like high dividend stocks so they can live off those dividends without having to liquidate principal holdings. Lets say you retired with 1 million in stocks that average a 5% dividend yield. That is 50k a year in dividends added to social security. If your house and car are paid off, that may give you a comfortable lifestyle without selling any stock.

Finally - You may take a position on a down stock you like knowing it will take time to recover or in an industry that will be slow to recover. Getting paid 1 or 2% while you wait for it to move back up is a bonus. I always put everything in terms of the annualized return of the SP500. 9.75% This includes the dividend reinvestment. The S&P pays about a 1.5 - 2% dividend over all. So having a safe play stock that pays 3-5% is a nice hedge.

Some people ignore dividends and value stocks in favor of growth. Its an investing philosophy.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users