Investing General Discussion

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
We should have a mini-contest to see where people think the market will end up at end of year, if they want to update their opinions.
I've seen a guy who posts about technical levels based on fibonacci (or alectryomancy, not sure) that the SPY is destined for 4820 before a reversal will happen. He called the BTC level correctly back in January soooo, eh? Maybe?

WHEN exactly that 4820 will happen and after what kind of action though is another matter. Though he generally says we are in an uptrend until that level.
Grains of salt and all that.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Treasury prices continue rising. I sold the 6-month notes in my mom's account. Made just under the interest I would have made at expiry by selling today.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've seen a guy who posts about technical levels based on fibonacci (or alectryomancy, not sure) that the SPY is destined for 4820 before a reversal will happen. He called the BTC level correctly back in January soooo, eh? Maybe?

WHEN exactly that 4820 will happen and after what kind of action though is another matter. Though he generally says we are in an uptrend until that level.
I've seen this movie and it was only okay.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Ahem...

We're going to go red to start the year, and probably continue through the early summer before rallying to the end of the year massively (I really wanted to go 4960, which is 28.72% like we had in 2003 and 1993, but I don't see us doing quite that well).
See my justification. It's literally just historical data, not even any kind of complicated algorithm.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
PLTR set a new 52-high early this morning and then got absolutely crushed.

1700599372379.png

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Launch Fail
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Remember when that lead cable thing was gonna destroy T and VZ back in July?

Seems they are getting battered by environmentalist calls to the EPA for abandoned lead cabling left by the telcos (T / VZ etc).

View attachment 482815

**EDIT**
T hit a 30yr low today

Kind of opens a can of worms of unknown liability. It may seem cheap here, but start getting smashed with lead poisoning fines and lawsuits and it will be an immediate hit to the dividend. Best wait this out a bit. This is likely to be drawn out politically / legally.

Not quite sure the market agrees with you there.

View attachment 482847

Oh the markets and the lawsuits are two different things entirely. I was speaking strictly to the liability. The amount of miles of lead cables in underground conduit runs is a number that would boggle the mind. Oh and the REALLY funny part is lots of those lead cables were pulled through transite ducts. For those that have never heard of transite...Transite was a brand of asbestos-cement.

Wait until the environmentalists find out all that lead is encased in asbestos. Vast majority of those transite ducts collapsed on themselves decades ago so removing the lead would mean removing the transite. Now, unlike the lead cables, removing those broken transite concrete ducts would be an actual health safety hazard.

ps.. The Federal gubmint cant afford to have T and VZ close their doors over this. If they did the Feds would lose their ability to track all those citizens' every movement via their cellphone gps units.

1700600068857.png

1700600144195.png

• 1To the Moon!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

lol rip (the good kind)

imagine how much money this company could make if chip production wasn't completely fucking bottlenecked by it all being in Taiwan aka up China's ballsack.

• 1To the Moon!

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Hate to admit I’ve been messing with these structured notes without completely understanding them.

They’re not that complicated on the surface, but I’m not sure how the writers make money on them. Example

18 mo note paying 9% annualized interest, monthly. Callable halfway. You get paid unless the underlying index (spy) dips above or below the 15% barrier or whatever it’s called. If it does, then you stop receiving interest while it’s below it. If you finish below, then you lose your principal. (-25% = you lose 10% going through / finishing below the 15).

These are million dollar minimum notes and we shop them around. How do the writers make enough to write these? Covered calls or some bullshit? Most common outcome is they pay and get called at halfway point btw

Last edited:
  • 1WTF

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Larry Summers on the new board of OpenAI, lol we're doomed.

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users