Is it a door or a wall?

Is a door that’s bolted down so it can’t swing open still a door or now a wall?

• Wall

• Door

Results are only viewable after voting.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
When does a door become a wall and what qualifies as a door? If a door is permanently bolted shut is it now a wall?

• 1Moron
  • 1Hodjing
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Question:

Is a door that’s bolted down so it can’t swing open still a door or now a wall?​

ChatGPT:

The classification of an object as a door or a wall depends on its intended function and use rather than just its physical properties. If the object is designed to allow passage or access, even if it's bolted down and cannot swing open, it is still considered a door. The ability to open and close is a characteristic often associated with doors, but it's not the sole defining factor.​
In practical terms, you might refer to it as a "locked door" or a "secured door," indicating that it is not currently able to swing open due to being bolted down or locked. The key distinction lies in its purpose – if it's meant to provide a barrier that can be opened for access, it remains a door even if temporarily secured. If its primary function is to block passage permanently, then it may be considered a wall or a barrier.​

Bing:

Interesting question! A door that is bolted down so that it cannot swing open is still considered a door. The definition of a door is “a movable barrier used to open and close an entranceway” 1. Even if the door is bolted down, it still has the ability to be opened and closed, which is the defining characteristic of a door.​
However, it is worth noting that a door that is bolted down and cannot be opened is no longer fulfilling its intended purpose. In this case, it may be more appropriate to refer to it as a barrier or partition.​
I hope that helps!​

Bard:

Whether a bolted-down door remains a door or becomes a wall depends on how strongly we emphasize its original function of opening and closing versus its new fixed state. Here are two perspectives:​
**Door perspective:**​
* **Maintains core functionality:** Even though it's bolted, the object still shares the defining features of a door: a flat panel that typically hinges on one side and opens to provide access to another space. It could potentially be unbolted and restored to its original use.​
* **Retains historical identity:** If the object was originally a functioning door, its history and purpose as a passage point might still hold significance. Labeling it as a wall might disregard its past identity.​
* **Similar examples:** Other fixed elements like security gates or saloon doors are still considered doors despite their limited opening abilities.​
**Wall perspective:**​
* **Lost primary function:** The bolted state permanently disables the opening and closing mechanism, rendering the object unusable as a door in its conventional sense.​
* **Becomes part of the structure:** Bolting it down essentially integrates the object into the surrounding wall, blurring the distinction between the two. Its fixed nature aligns more with the role of a wall as a static barrier.​
* **Practical considerations:** For construction or maintenance purposes, classifying the object as a wall might be more accurate and convenient, especially if future alterations involve treating it as part of the fixed structure.​
Ultimately, the answer depends on context and how you choose to prioritize the different aspects of the object. There's no definitive right or wrong, and both perspectives have valid arguments. You can call it a "bolted door," a "fixed door," or even a "decorative wall panel" depending on how you view its primary purpose and relationship to the surrounding space.​
I hope this helps!​

Claude:

That's an interesting philosophical question about the nature of objects and their functions. Some perspectives on this:​
- From a purely physical standpoint, it is still technically a door, in that the physical structure and components are the same as something we would typically call a door, even if it can no longer function as an opening. So in a sense, bolting it closed doesn't change its physical nature, even if it no longer serves the purpose of a functioning door.​
- However, from a functional standpoint, if a door is bolted in such a way that it can no longer open or serve the function we expect a door to serve, then in some sense you could argue that it now acts more as a wall by entirely blocking off access. The functionality and ability to access something is critical to our idea of what a door is.​
- Concepts like "door" and "wall" also have certain expectations and meanings attached in terms of visual appearance, access, and boundaries. Strictly speaking, physically it may still be a door, but for all intents and purposes in how we interact with it, it functions exactly like a wall now.​
- There are likely differences legally and architecturally in how bolting a door shut would be classified compared to installing an actual wall. Even if functionality is the same, formally they may be considered distinct.​
So in summary, there's good arguments on both sides, and reasonable people could disagree. It highlights the complex interplay between an object's physical form, its functional purpose, and the concepts we layer onto objects. There may not be a universally clear answer.​

DALL-E:

_ab2ab517-3b1c-474e-915c-5cb3ac543099.jpg

Didn't vote.

_76aed192-bdad-4608-a537-ba27bd274f5f.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Because I've got to sleep sometime.
I remember a time when amod would let screenshots be fun. Now days everyone is a Karen. Can’t even have a fun poll in screenshots. Kinda makes me sad..

• 1Moron
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The object is a door, the function is a wall.

It's just pedantic language wankery.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It's a door. The structural requirements are different for a door and a wall, and even if it is welded/nailed shut so that it can never realistically be opened, it still has to perform as a door would in terms of keeping a fire from burning through it in a set amount of time, or how much sound transmits through it, or whatever that "partition" is designed to do. If a building inspector came through and looked at it, they would judge it in comparison to what a door needs, not a wall, thus it is a door. Source - my company sell doors.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I remember a time when amod would let screenshots be fun. Now days everyone is a Karen. Can’t even have a fun poll in screenshots. Kinda makes me sad..

Only chill people are allowed to have fun.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
When is a door not a door? When its a jar

Because I'm in there fucking your mom

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Damn Folder if only you had some chill.

Foler Foler
I literally made a thread in order for forum users to debate if a bolted down door still qualifies as a door or becomes part of a wall. Yet you and Denamian Denamian over here are the ones saying I have no chill.. 🙄