Is Rock dying or already dead?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
What I consider rock music has been pretty much dead for me for awhile. It truly ended when Rush retired last year.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
As long as Stabbing Westward is making music Rock can never die!!!

Wait...

As long as Stone Temple Pilots are still making music.....
As long as Static-X is still making music.......
As long as Linkin Park is still making music.......
As long as Soundgarden is still making music......
As long as the original Alice in Chains is still making music......

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Steel panther. It's all I need for rock. Trivium is a good in between - maybe too heavy for a traditional rock fan but damn they are good.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Wat?

You're aren't separating the creation and performance of music. You can be a monster when it comes to playing an instrument, but not be able to write a good original piece to save your ass.

There's definitely overlap, but they definitely aren't synonymous.

If you are a strict composer i don't think i can call you a musician.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
If you are a strict composer i don't think i can call you a musician.

i've been playing guitar for 15 years, and while i tend to dislike electronic music, i'm going to disagree with this statement. while playing music takes more dexterity and physical skill in that regard, it is very possible to not understand a single thing about WHY what you're playing sounds good, and just play by numbers. it doesn't take physical skill to be a composer, but as a mental exercise, the *knowledge* required to compose well far exceeds the knowledge required to play well.

Cybsled

If the internet was around 50 years ago, you'd find people bitching about Jazz and Swing music dying.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
One theory out there is its because rock lost its blues influence along the way. I mean rock was born out of blues.

Watch it from beginning, youtube fucked up the time. good video but they cover many issues with music industry today, vs past.

Last edited:

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
i've been playing guitar for 15 years, and while i tend to dislike electronic music, i'm going to disagree with this statement. while playing music takes more dexterity and physical skill in that regard, it is very possible to not understand a single thing about WHY what you're playing sounds good, and just play by numbers. it doesn't take physical skill to be a composer, but as a mental exercise, the *knowledge* required to compose well far exceeds the knowledge required to play well.

we are talking about two separate things, music has always been about the dexterity and physical skill of the performer. Without those there is no music, only notes on a piece of paper.

The relationship between a is similar to an architect and a construction worker, one is able to put into paper what to do, but is completely unable to grab hammer and start actually building. A composer/ architect lives on the idea realm. A construction worker /musician lives on the physical world.
Also the physical challenge of actually playing the music is part of the music itself, and the appreciation of it.

It is very similar to drawing. It is one thing to draw on a computer, and very very different thing to draw on a physical medium. But whatever.. time to mow my lawn.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Rock isn't Top 40 and probably won't be for a long time with the current musicscape, but there is a good amount of really good rock out there. Some with household names like Muse and Matt Bellamy, My Morning Jacket and Jim James, Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl, Queens of the Stone Age and Josh Homme. These are all arena bands. Foo Fighters aren't really my thing, but all those other acts are outstanding and showcase some great musicianship - especially Muse. Matt Bellamy is a fucking rockstar.
hell, even Lizzie Hale is a pretty common name, and Halestorm is not a big band at all

and you've got Jared Leto on the radio every day with 30 Seconds to Mars

Taylor Momsen from Pretty Wreckless is well known among younger people for her acting roles from before the band started
Literally never heard of any of these people except Dave Grohl, and that's from almost 30 years ago (the end of the thread topic era). I've heard of the bands (except for My Morning Jacket and Halestorm...who?), sure, but the artists? Fuck no.

And then pharmakos gives examples of two people who are famous for being actors, not rock stars. Like you all didn't understand the point being made whatsoever.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah, i suppose bad examples.

still, tho, i have to wonder if it isn't a difference of how much effort people are putting into looking into current rock music. there really is a lot of good rock out there.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
we are talking about two separate things, music has always been about the dexterity and physical skill of the performer. Without those there is no music, only notes on a piece of paper.

The relationship between a is similar to an architect and a construction worker, one is able to put into paper what to do, but is completely unable to grab hammer and start actually building. A composer/ architect lives on the idea realm. A construction worker /musician lives on the physical world.
Also the physical challenge of actually playing the music is part of the music itself, and the appreciation of it.

It is very similar to drawing. It is one thing to draw on a computer, and very very different thing to draw on a physical medium. But whatever.. time to mow my lawn.

so the communist approach to musicianship, the people producing the music matter more than the people that tell them how to produce it? :p

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
@ mkopec mkopec It certainly did not help that Metallica was very shortsighted and did not embrace digital distribution. They joined Itunes on July 2006, that is a full 3 years after Itunes music opened.

That is a lot of time.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I know all of the artists Alex listed. Don't know any of the ones Pharmakos listed. But that's entirely due to me only consuming music through Spotify and YouTube these days. Basically I just look for what I like instead of hoping a DJ plays a song I might be into on the radio.

I can't imagine any genre of music, especially a genre as influential as rock, ever dying. Not in this day and age where pretty much anyone can create and release their own music and put it onto a platform where it can actually be heard. You just gotta go find it instead of having it come to you over the radio.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
so the communist approach to musicianship, the people producing the music matter more than the people that tell them how to produce it? :p

This is actually the problem they say in that video I linked, and the dude IS a producer. There is only a few producers and they pretty much controll the entire music industry now. And they are all 40-60 yrs old. Before record labels would go out and search for new talent, and when they saw that talent they took chances on it, spent money. Now there is no risk taking, they go with "safe" shit they know sells. In fact they will even go as far to write and record some of the music for the musicians, where as before they only served as a guide for the band to get a certain sound, or help out on a song where needed.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I listen to a shitload of new'ish rock through Google Music/Youtube. It's no longer chart-topping, but it's out there if you look.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This is actually the problem they say in that video I linked, and the dude IS a producer. There is only a few producers and they pretty much controll the entire music industry now. Before record labels would go out and search for new talent, and when they saw that talent they took chances on it, spent money. Now there is no risk taking, they go with "safe".

I meant "produce" in the sense of "make" not as in the general music industry sense of the word. I should have realized the way I worded it would be confusing, my bad.

An analogy for what Doritos and I were talking about would be that he thinks the construction workers are more important than the architect. A "producer" in the music sense would be like the site supervisor rather than a laborer or an architect.

I think both laboring and "architect-ing" are important in music. But yeah, you're right, that site supervisor can often hinder shit more than help.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
But producers are not architects of the music, the band/artist is. They only help in the recording phase so the song the band wrote will sound good. do you even know what a producer does? Do you think red hot chili peppers went to rick rubin and he wrote all their songs for them? Why even have the band then if rick rubin does everything? jjust for the appearance? Like milli vanilli?

But like I said, these days those lines are being blurred because producers ARE actually writing and making the music and some artists are only performing it. This is why and another reason music sounds stale and same these days.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I know all of the artists Alex listed. Don't know any of the ones Pharmakos listed. But that's entirely due to me only consuming music through Spotify and YouTube these days. Basically I just look for what I like instead of hoping a DJ plays a song I might be into on the radio.

I can't imagine any genre of music, especially a genre as influential as rock, ever dying. Not in this day and age where pretty much anyone can create and release their own music and put it onto a platform where it can actually be heard. You just gotta go find it instead of having it come to you over the radio.

Yeah I listen to rock radio a lot, and my local rock station is a particularly good one imo. Come to think of it, maybe the fact that radio is dying is a big part of why many people feel rock is dying. And MTV no longer playing actual music... They were a huge part of grunge getting mainstream in the 90s.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I listen to rock radio a lot, and my local rock station is a particularly good one imo. Come to think of it, maybe the fact that radio is dying is a big part of why many people feel rock is dying. And MTV no longer playing actual music... They were a huge part of grunge getting mainstream in the 90s.

This was also covered int he video I linked. The dude said that there is basically 1-2 media companies which bought all the fucking radio stations, or most of them. So its no longer grass roots type of shit that happened in 60s-90s where DJs actually chose the music they wanted to play, or people would call in and ask for songs to be played. Many rock groups during that era got their starts form jsut that, some DJ playing their shit all the time because he liked it. Rush for an example got their start in some radio station playing their shit non stop. Getty Lee even said in interview that without that Radio station they would of never been discovered.

He also mentioned that the masses/plebs, dont go searching for music, they just listen to what is spoon fed them. Only a small minority of people will actually sit down and seek out music (internet).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user