IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Old guy at work is really starting to get to me.

Always stupid questions, sometimes repeats.

The worst are the meetings. It doesn't matter what meeting we're in, the guy has to start talking. It's always bullshit too. He talks really loudly and fast too, and sort of 'bullies' people by taking meetings hostage. I've never heard my boss yell, but today I finally did when the guy wouldn't shut the fuck up. Also he says stuff wrong, like instead of "MMIO" he'll say "MIO" or instead of "PCI Bus" he was say "PCH Init" - just using the wrong terms for stuff constantly.

I'm glad I'm gone in 2 weeks. Never to hear this man's voice again.

But there will be another, I'm sure of it.

Vinen

God is dead

The worst are the meetings. It doesn't matter what meeting we're in, the guy has to start talking. It's always bullshit too. He talks really loudly and fast too, and sort of 'bullies' people by taking meetings hostage. I've never heard my boss yell, but today I finally did when the guy wouldn't shut the fuck up. Also he says stuff wrong, like instead of "MMIO" he'll say "MIO" or instead of "PCI Bus" he was say "PCH Init" - just using the wrong terms for stuff constantly.

Nice. I see you accepted and gave notice.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

I don't get why the bosses don't fire those dumb fuckers, but they don't.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nice. I see you accepted and gave notice.
I'm signing it tonight then giving my notice, I'm not even bothering to allow the company to give me a counter based on things I've heard. Also other reasons that are well known in international news

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Just listening to the guy is like what you'd imagine listening to an ape run a meeting sounds like.
Being a contractor was great because since I was on a project for an average of 3-6 months, I could safety ignore these douches and I'd be done with the project before I got too annoyed or anyone got mad that I'd completely stonewall them.

I remember getting up and leaving a meeting being run by one of these guys, I just walked out silently. Nobody said a word. I did work rather than sit in that meeting.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I hate people who constantly have to talk about their life, telling all kinds of stories you don't give a shit about, and never pick up on non-verbal/social cues that you're not interested. I can usually get myself out of it but then I'll still overhear them talking to someone else. There was one person at my last position that was far and away the worst at doing this and sometimes my mind would just constantly be thinking about how much I wanted to punch him in his face.

Nowadays I have noise cancelling ear muffs that are ridiculously big but are highly effective at blocking pretty much everything out. I highly recommend them:Amazon.com: 3M Peltor X-Series Over-the-Head Earmuffs, NRR 31 dB, One Size Fits Most, Black X5A (Pack of 1): Industrial Scientific

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Unless it's not a well-formed XML doc, I usually write serializable classes that serialize into XML. Way easier to work with object properties than screwing around with elements and attributes.
Thrift has a niftey JSON protocol that will serialize native objects in and out to something like 20+ languages. We commonly use it as our storage method for complex objects over things like JSON directly or XML. It's great getting to work with the actual native objects everywhere, and since it deseralizes in so many languages it makes it easy to create services in the language that makes the most sense for what we're doing.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Thrift has a niftey JSON protocol that will serialize native objects in and out to something like 20+ languages. We commonly use it as our storage method for complex objects over things like JSON directly or XML. It's great getting to work with the actual native objects everywhere, and since it deseralizes in so many languages it makes it easy to create services in the language that makes the most sense for what we're doing.
Are there any languages that can't serialize objects and expose them as JSON/XML contracts? Way too often I see people touting "cool super useful developing tools" that do absolutely nothing the language I'm working in natively can't already do better.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think he was talking about Thrift making like a pojo into something that is usable to say Python. Not necessarily Python just reading in a JSON-ified representation but actually serializing it to a class Python can understand.

Khane

I think he was talking about Thrift making like a pojo into something that is usable to say Python. Not necessarily Python just reading in a JSON-ified representation but actually serializing it to a class Python can understand.
So it's the same thing as JSON/XML except it's a third party tool doing the serializing instead of the native language (which will do it better). How does it handle service/contract faults? This is exactly what I'm talking about. "What if instead of using a standard interface any language can talk to, like JSON for instance, let's use a third party tool to serialize it for them which has the benefit of.... wait what's the benefit of this again?"

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So this is a little different, but I get to pick what laptop I want at my new job, with 4 options. Two are Lenovo Thinkpads which I've been using for the last 3 years and kind of hate. The other two are macs.

I've never used a mac, but I'm jealous of the screens when I see my current coworkers with them. My two choices are:

Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15"
2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
8 GB of Memory
256 GB of Flash Storage
4.46 pounds (2.02 kg)

Apple MacBook Air 13"
1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
8 GB of Memory
256 GB of Flash Storage
2.96 pounds (1.35 kg)

Can anyone comment if macs are a good choice, and if either of those are better than the other?

I also get an ubuntu desktop, so I wonder if the mac is just for email/office stuff

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
13" is way too small if you actually do a lot of work on your laptop, imo (I use a monitor for most of my programming at work). I don't really care for a Retina display at that size but if you've seen them in person and like it, then it's probably fine. I don't really like the Mac ecosystem, but that may be a not totally well-founded bias.

If you do go with a Mac, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't choose the first one. 1.5 pounds extra seems to be the only drawback.

Why do you hate the Lenovos? Those are what I have but I run Ubuntu on them. Are they comparable hardware-wise with the Mac? I know at my work we have similar options and it seems the Lenovos are beefier than the Macs (probably because of the large price difference).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
13" is way too small if you actually do a lot of work on your laptop, imo (I use a monitor for most of my programming at work). I don't really care for a Retina display at that size but if you've seen them in person and like it, then it's probably fine. I don't really like the Mac ecosystem, but that may be a not totally well-founded bias.

If you do go with a Mac, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't choose the first one. 1.5 pounds extra seems to be the only drawback.

Why do you hate the Lenovos? Those are what I have but I run Ubuntu on them. Are they comparable hardware-wise with the Mac? I know at my work we have similar options and it seems the Lenovos are beefier than the Macs (probably because of the large price difference).
My lenovo is 'ok', it's a tiny 14" thing and I'm like 6'3" 225 pounds so it's ridiculous. Also the screen is shitty and the touch pad is absolutely terrible on it.

On top of that, I have a serious distrust for Lenovo on a personal level.

I figured if I used the laptop a lot, the screen would look way better after long use - but that's why I'm asking. I don't know if it just looks cool at first or if it's truly game-changing.

The stats between Lenovo and the Macs are basically exactly the same.

Khane

Can't wait for noodle to get a macbook and then immediately come here to bitch that he has to buy all new peripherals because none of his standard PC stuff works with macs.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
No option for dell laptops?

I programmed for 3 years on a dell laptop that was beefy as shit, and i loved it.

The XPS laptops are beefy. See if you can get those.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So this is a little different, but I get to pick what laptop I want at my new job, with 4 options. Two are Lenovo Thinkpads which I've been using for the last 3 years and kind of hate. The other two are macs.

I've never used a mac, but I'm jealous of the screens when I see my current coworkers with them. My two choices are:

Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15"
2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
8 GB of Memory
256 GB of Flash Storage
4.46 pounds (2.02 kg)

Apple MacBook Air 13"
1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
8 GB of Memory
256 GB of Flash Storage
2.96 pounds (1.35 kg)

Can anyone comment if macs are a good choice, and if either of those are better than the other?

I also get an ubuntu desktop, so I wonder if the mac is just for email/office stuff
I pretty much loved developing on a mac, because of the real terminal/command line... but if you're developing in an IDE, maybe it makes no difference. Or if you're just developing on your desktop primarily.

If you've never used OSX there's definitely a little bit of learning curve to get going, obvious things are obvious but you'll get stuck a few times and have to google your way out. It's no big deal. I greatly prefer OSX now to windows.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I pretty much loved developing on a mac, because of the real terminal/command line... but if you're developing in an IDE, maybe it makes no difference. Or if you're just developing on your desktop primarily.

If you've never used OSX there's definitely a little bit of learning curve to get going, obvious things are obvious but you'll get stuck a few times and have to google your way out. It's no big deal. I greatly prefer OSX now to windows.
I'm not too worried about learning it - and the IDE I am pretty sure will be on a linux desktop if I had to guess. So I may not develop on it (or remote in).