IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
He's only got ~3 years experience if I remember right. He's making good money for being out of college for only 3 years.
Not for Kendall Square / Silicon Valley.
I've seen College grads hired with salaries higher then his.

That said. He does beat the majority of people I know's salary at his experience level. (My personal Salary didn't accelerate until around 5 years. Just realized I'm about to hit 10 years of experience. Old now :| )

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ya hear that Noodle? How's it feel to be a pathetic scumbag loser?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It depends what companies you're talking about. Google and Facebook are both on a different level.

When I started at Emc I started at the max you could make for a software engineer I (76k),this was mostly because I was an intern before and proved myself. Typically they higher mid 60s.

I never got promoted which is why I left and basically why my pay was stunted there.

Going here, I went up about 15% or more in total salary.

Should I be getting paid more? That depends. They wanted someone with 1 year UEFI experience. Now, if you read about all the bullshit I tell you about do you think a typical 1 year or fresh grad could handle this? Probably not. Maybe an MIT good ol boy (trust me, it is a boys club here)

They got what they paid for, but they completely sold me on a job that i don't think someone with less than 5 years experience just in UEFI BIOS is equipped to handle.

Im trying not to complain, but I can't help it. No one here even understands what i do or how impossible it is. Paddling up shits Creek without a paddle sounds about right.

And with the "quality" of work that I and others are putting out,this place feels like a joke to me.

Vinen knows where I work but I won't be foolish enough to post the name now with all my shit flinging

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Conversation was like this:

Company A is going to handle the changes, you direct them

2 weeks later

Company A didn't make the change the way we wanted it, looks like it's back to the old way
Sounds like a good day to ask for a raise, more perks, more vacation or whatever floats your boat.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have unlimited time off. That is the only "perk'

If you believe that's a perk I've got some land to sell you

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
How does that apply to Noodle? MMM implies you throw bodies at a software development project to speed it along. Noodle is running the show himself.
Oh, didn't see he was the only one involved in its entirety.

Is the place that small or just that department?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah I wasn't 100% sure if that was Cambridge MA or Cambridge UK. Which is why I didn't comment on it. I assume MA but it never disambiguates it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
To answer your original question I think we're around ~6000 employees. My team is very small but basically creates all the servers for the entire company. My role is deserving of an actual team.