IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Baron Andrew Von Fancypants! We've finally uncovered your secrets!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
1000x-1.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Timed it today. The two dudes in question ate up 18 minutes combined from our meeting. Retro is in a couple weeks and I'll bring it up. Feels like I'm wasting my time being there.

One dude is very senior, close to retirement.. so it's not like he's a new guy trying to work through code. But he breaks down his problems and gives all these explanations and crazy information we don't need. I literally do not care.

The other guy might be autistic, I'm pretty sure he is. He's a junior and he is always having problems and brings them up. But then there's a lot of awkward pauses and he argues with people who question what he's doing or give him advice. He's more frustrating to listen to than the other guy. He also has this habit of walking around to people's cubes with his laptop and sort of talking through his problem fishing for help, but not asking for help. I usually just offer no advice unless he asks, because it's so hard to figure out what he's actually doing.

Despite all this, the junior is pretty smart and makes a lot of good code changes. But just frustrating.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Timed it today. The two dudes in question ate up 18 minutes combined from our meeting. Retro is in a couple weeks and I'll bring it up. Feels like I'm wasting my time being there.

One dude is very senior, close to retirement.. so it's not like he's a new guy trying to work through code. But he breaks down his problems and gives all these explanations and crazy information we don't need. I literally do not care.

The other guy might be autistic, I'm pretty sure he is. He's a junior and he is always having problems and brings them up. But then there's a lot of awkward pauses and he argues with people who question what he's doing or give him advice. He's more frustrating to listen to than the other guy. He also has this habit of walking around to people's cubes with his laptop and sort of talking through his problem fishing for help, but not asking for help. I usually just offer no advice unless he asks, because it's so hard to figure out what he's actually doing.

Despite all this, the junior is pretty smart and makes a lot of good code changes. But just frustrating.
Some people like to rubber duck debug, except with real people.

18 minutes, just 2 guys.. that is way too long. Keep collecting more data, if they say "we don't take that long", bam hit them with the exact numbers =).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I want to rant about my love hate relationship with Python. Now I love Python but I also absolutely hate how my company keeps wanting to use it for everything.

Python pisses me off a lot with its weak typing bullshit that constantly fucks shit up unless you have an intimate understanding of the wonky shit the interpreter does. Derp derp a dict is a dict except for when its a string for... reasons.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Some people like to rubber duck debug, except with real people.

18 minutes, just 2 guys.. that is way too long. Keep collecting more data, if they say "we don't take that long", bam hit them with the exact numbers =).
Yeah, and I understand that. I've certainly debugged problems over email before when I was younger. It's just draining to listen to.

I definitely am guilty of rubber duck debugging on my way home from work in my car.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Noodle, everyone knows you sometimes get people who are not very good at social cues on software teams. That is what the dumbass Scrumaster is supposed to managing for you. Sounds like your real problem is with him.

Also, I have started using Python for data processing and testing over the past couple of years and I love it. It has been a lot of fun.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I want to rant about my love hate relationship with Python. Now I love Python but I also absolutely hate how my company keeps wanting to use it for everything.

Python pisses me off a lot with its weak typing bullshit that constantly fucks shit up unless you have an intimate understanding of the wonky shit the interpreter does. Derp derp a dict is a dict except for when its a string for... reasons.
I'm not going to defend the shortfalls of weak typing, but can you give some examples? I've found some `assert isinstance` will fix typing ambiguity issues. The other one I commonly run into is old style print formatting where you need to know the type or hope the object implemented str() or repr(). That's why I like using .format() instead.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I'm not going to defend the shortfalls of weak typing, but can you give some examples? I've found some `assert isinstance` will fix typing ambiguity issues. The other one I commonly run into is old style print formatting where you need to know the type or hope the object implemented str() or repr(). That's why I like using .format() instead.
format() is old and busted. Fstrings is the new hotness. And by new I mean 5 years old :D

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This current gripe is from an hour long debugging session I ended up doing for just what I said. There was a method in our codebase that returns a dict. This method is called in another class and then constructs some stuff.

However when the method is called in the other class it converts it to a string. This drove me nuts because the method 100% for sure returned a dict. Which can be corrected sure and you can just declare stuff as dict = {} before you call the method and all but it allows for developers to make mistakes you just can't make in other languages because of strong typing. You can do some REAL spaghetti bullshit in Python and even though its cool to do it causes problems at scale IMO.

In Python 2 my favorite one was that you could use string/byte methods on the opposite of each other because Python would implicitly change the a string to a byte or a byte to a string depending on what you wanted to do to it.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This current gripe is from an hour long debugging session I ended up doing for just what I said. There was a method in our codebase that returns a dict. This method is called in another class and then constructs some stuff.

However when the method is called in the other class it converts it to a string. This drove me nuts because the method 100% for sure returned a dict. Which can be corrected sure and you can just declare stuff as dict = {} before you call the method and all but it allows for developers to make mistakes you just can't make in other languages because of strong typing. You can do some REAL spaghetti bullshit in Python and even though its cool to do it causes problems at scale IMO.

In Python 2 my favorite one was that you could use string/byte methods on the opposite of each other because Python would implicitly change the a string to a byte or a byte to a string depending on what you wanted to do to it.
That's not really pythons fault though. Sounds like someone wrote some shit code.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
format() is old and busted. Fstrings is the new hotness. And by new I mean 5 years old :D
I'm not familiar with fstrings, what do they do that format doesn't? My current employer is stuck in Python 2, so we're a bit behind the times.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I'm not familiar with fstrings, what do they do that format doesn't? My current employer is stuck in Python 2, so we're a bit behind the times.
This covers it:

But if you are stuck with 2, you are sol. Does your current employer know that 2 has reached end of life? Lol

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Tell that to the like 500 python shits we have doing fuck knows what on cronjobs that have been running forever.

That kind of thing always astounds me. Company is running on duct tape and bubblegum in places rofl. But I get the mindset. Automate some menial thing. Okay write some python to do it and throw it on a linux box. Forget about it. Years later that menial thing is now quite critical and nobody knows who made it or where it is until it breaks and you have to go digging around for it.

• 1Truth!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yes, we're aware of the looming security risks with continuing to use Python 2. We're one of "those shops" where we decided regular python wasn't good enough for us, so it was doctored up. Upgrading to 3 isn't going to be as plug and play as it should be.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Any time I've ever written Python for work, it's been spaghetti code mishmash that I somehow made work and put it somewhere and forgot about it.

I assume most people developing in python do the same thing. "This isn't my job" lol

• 1Like