IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wouldn't say he's useless as I can't really judge that. He got this far so he must've done something right.. maybe..

ShakyJake

<Donor>
He also got a little irritated that I had Funco POP toys on the top of my desk (GOT and Breaking Bad), he said he didn't understand why a grown man would have toys. Got a little offended.
What? fuck that guy.

I wouldn't say he's useless as I can't really judge that. He got this far so he must've done something right.. maybe..
I've learned that some people can just talk a good talk and get hired. The other developer on my team always talks like he's an expert on every subject, but he has a very basic understanding of OOP principles. As I've mentioned before, he'll bang out dozens of if-then-elses without considering there might be a better way.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The worst part was he kept making this scrunched up face and shaking his head like "... whatever, I guess"

haha

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Some people learn faster and better by just getting the answer directly. He could probably spin his wheels for a few hours but he probably figures why do that when the manchild with the toys already knows the answers.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Start naming stuff on code after your toys or characters, specially in comments.

Give him some time, if he was in hardware maybe he has not develop in years. Also it may be hard for him now having to rely on others for the answers.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Right I understand it's easier to ask someone. I guess I'm different.

If I'm spending an absurd amount of time figuring something out I ask for help, whereas he is asking every 10 minutes.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Right I understand it's easier to ask someone. I guess I'm different.

If I'm spending an absurd amount of time figuring something out I ask for help, whereas he is asking every 10 minutes.
I'm the same way. Asking for help is like admitting defeat.
frown.png

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
At least yours is an engineer, mine is a business major, who ask questions such as .. "what is this theory that properties in objects should not be filled by explicit calls?"
background
Example, an object has a property named Stock price. Getting the stock price is a very expensive operation. So I made it a lazy property, if you need it, its there, if its not there, you wont waste CPU time computing it.
So he proposes changing the call to a method called ComputeStockPrice(), and then putting that in the property.

I replied, "you will have to document that to everyone using the class, as is not explicit. For example if I initialize the object, and I want to see the value of the property, I will always get a null, because I forgot to call the meths to load it. It is not straight forward . Imagine on MSDN if when you use one of Microsoft classes, you have to call a method to load the property you need. Other than the constructor, or a explicit Load that loads everything, your object should be good to go. If you need the output of the stock, just make it a method that returns that."
So the replied, well I don't always need it.
So I said, then make a class inheriting the class and add on that property your expensive call. That way whenever a developer needs the smaller version, he doesn't have some properties null.

I just like tings clear and small, having a method call to fill a property is just redundant.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Takes alot for me to ask. We have a few people like that but the worst is when they not only ask every 10 min but then question the answer you give them like they think your wrong.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think asking for help is admitted defeat too, but I also know that guy sitting over there knows the answer to my question. I'll almost always give it a good effort, but if I have to go ask someone, I try to frame the question to make it look I put some effort into it.

I'd prefer to spend as much time as I need finding a solution, you learn better that way. But shit's on a schedule, your employer is going to be more pissed you spent hours on something that was a 5 minute question. You don't have to show you're self-sufficient at every opportunity.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I agree, time is important.

There's a difference between coming up to me and asking how PCI-e enumeration works and "My print statements aren't printing and I don't know why"

Vinen

God is dead
I think asking for help is admitted defeat too, but I also know that guy sitting over there knows the answer to my question. I'll almost always give it a good effort, but if I have to go ask someone, I try to frame the question to make it look I put some effort into it.

I'd prefer to spend as much time as I need finding a solution, you learn better that way. But shit's on a schedule, your employer is going to be more pissed you spent hours on something that was a 5 minute question. You don't have to show you're self-sufficient at every opportunity.
People who don't realize this should never be promoted past Junior.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Back when I was the team lead of a larger team I spend 50% of my time answering questions. It was expected and I frankly liked it, since most of the other members were juniors and ill rather have them ask questions, rather than seen some aberration in code. Also the other senior members of the team rarely asked as they were very self sufficient. Recently though I'm more bother by people at the same level, or even my seniors that asks me questions rather than learn how the system works.

moontayle

Golden Squire
When I'm searching for an answer the thing I hate the most is when someone's like "oh I solved it by using <insert library here>" and then lists off a bunch of code that has no meaning to me becauseI'm not using that library and don't have time to figure out how.

Vinen

God is dead
Back when I was the team lead of a larger team I spend 50% of my time answering questions. It was expected and I frankly liked it, since most of the other members were juniors and ill rather have them ask questions, rather than seen some aberration in code. Also the other senior members of the team rarely asked as they were very self sufficient. Recently though I'm more bother by people at the same level, or even my seniors that asks me questions rather than learn how the system works.
Depends. Is it a complex system? Will a 5 minute chat save an hour?

My problem is when Senior Developers ask dumb questions or don't even attempt to understand the system. (Yes, there are dumb questions)

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Depends. Is it a complex system? Will a 5 minute chat save an hour?

My problem is when Senior Developers ask dumb questions or don't even attempt to understand the system. (Yes, there are dumb questions)
Most of our devs demand a "knowledge transfer" before even considering to look at something they're not familiar with.