IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
A guy I used to work with claims that some big tech company did a years long study in the 90s about this. They hired a bunch of artists and musicians who had never coded before and turned them into a development team and claimed the results they found were that software development uses more of the creative portions of the brain than the logical portions and that people who are great artists and musicians make the best coders.

I tried to google it and found nothing so I have no idea if it's true, but it's interesting if it is.
I generally try to steer away from "that makes sense" assumptions but it really does make a lot of sense. Music has a framework of rules that you you have to stay inside but is flexible enough to create an infinite amount of songs. Programming isn't really all that different.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I generally try to steer away from "that makes sense" assumptions but it really does make a lot of sense. Music has a framework of rules that you you have to stay inside but is flexible enough to create an infinite amount of songs. Programming isn't really all that different.
Yeah, it makes sense. Programming is logical and pretty well structured but there's an element of creativity involved as well. Almost all creative aspects have that in some aspect, starting with music obviously but writing has a lot of structure as well.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It doesnt make sense... at all.

If it was it would also be backwards. Developers will be good at music... which they are not.

Tenks

It doesnt make sense... at all.

If it was it would also be backwards. Developers will be good at music... which they are not.
Just because something works one way doesn't mean it also works the other. That is a pretty big leap of logic.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Usually when two different activities share the same domain, for example, physical domain, intellectual domain, creative domain; it's common to see individuals transfer across activities with ease.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I know a couple people that have worked for them. They all have a favorable impression of them. However, they worked on the big data side of things.

Not sure where you live but I see a lot of UI/UX job postings here in Austin.
I'm interviewing with them for an internship position this summer in Blacksburg (I go to VT), so I'm not exactly sure what side of things they'll put me on, I have experience with systems and big data, I would just prefer to work in UI/UX at some point in my career.

On a side note, does anyone have advice on general things to brush up on for a CS job interview? I've been interviewed a lot in the past, just never for a CS job, so I'm a little nervous.

Vinen

God is dead
I'm interviewing with them for an internship position this summer in Blacksburg (I go to VT), so I'm not exactly sure what side of things they'll put me on, I have experience with systems and big data, I would just prefer to work in UI/UX at some point in my career.

On a side note, does anyone have advice on general things to brush up on for a CS job interview? I've been interviewed a lot in the past, just never for a CS job, so I'm a little nervous.
This is more for a job once you have completed an internship.

Show what you learned on how to work with people. I don't really give a shit what you learned technically, internships are about learning how to function in a real world team.

The biggest question I try to come out of interviews with is: Can the interviewee deal with me as a person. If they can, they get a thumbs up.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
This is more for a job once you have completed an internship.

Show what you learned on how to work with people. I don't really give a shit what you learned technically, internships are about learning how to function in a real world team.

The biggest question I try to come out of interviews with is: Can the interviewee deal with me as a person. If they can, they get a thumbs up.
That should be easy then, I've worked in sales and the medical field prior to going back to school for CS.

I planned on going over some past projects and making a github account to actually show my work. That along with going over some basics I haven't thought about recently.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Boss asked me to start building our front end display in native Android since our Hybrid solution is stuck in Jelly Bean (it shits the bed in Kitkat or above). Been prepping for this off and on because I knew it was coming sooner or later. Excited but nervous. Huge challenge.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I always think of big tasks as great learning experiences, and also you can be seen as some sort of expert in that particular portion as well.

I was given a task of implementing Permanent Memory Persistence and told I would be the expert.

I sort of feel bad since I'm looking for a new job, but I can't tell anyone either.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Getting a little irritated with the principal engineer that I've been "mentoring." I figured by this point he'd start to figure shit out but it almost feels like he's gained no knowledge whatsoever. It's not only affecting my work but also other engineers - he's just constantly asking for help, even from our boss (I try to stick to peer communications rather than going up if I can help it). I'm sure my boss has noticed, but with the way this company works he'll just stick around.

They have him bringing up our next platform, and he's using my previous work as a guideline and he just questions. fucking. everything. Why did you do this? Why did you do this here but not there? Most of the time it's simple shit too, like "find all in files" to see where things are ported from. Like today he made me come over and help him understand why a ROM was using a different GUID than my implementation - sure enough we search and we see it has changed for the new platform.

I guess I'll bring it up to my boss in our next 1:1, I just don't know how to bring it up without sounding like a dick especially since this guy is 30 years my senior and holds a prestigious title. I just don't know how he made it so far. He can't even spell common words :\

Vinen

God is dead
Getting a little irritated with the principal engineer that I've been "mentoring." I figured by this point he'd start to figure shit out but it almost feels like he's gained no knowledge whatsoever. It's not only affecting my work but also other engineers - he's just constantly asking for help, even from our boss (I try to stick to peer communications rather than going up if I can help it). I'm sure my boss has noticed, but with the way this company works he'll just stick around.

They have him bringing up our next platform, and he's using my previous work as a guideline and he just questions. fucking. everything. Why did you do this? Why did you do this here but not there? Most of the time it's simple shit too, like "find all in files" to see where things are ported from. Like today he made me come over and help him understand why a ROM was using a different GUID than my implementation - sure enough we search and we see it has changed for the new platform.

I guess I'll bring it up to my boss in our next 1:1, I just don't know how to bring it up without sounding like a dick especially since this guy is 30 years my senior and holds a prestigious title. I just don't know how he made it so far. He can't even spell common words :\
Its a 1:1. Sound like a dick but make your boss realize that you are working with him as best you can and are not coming off negative.
It's fine to feel like someone has no value as long as you don't outwardly show it outside of 1:1 or other closed discussions.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Its a 1:1. Sound like a dick but make your boss realize that you are working with him as best you can and are not coming off negative.
It's fine to feel like someone has no value as long as you don't outwardly show it outside of 1:1 or other closed discussions.
And you need to make it clear that you think helping him is negatively impacting your ability to do your job, and you don't want your evaluations hurt by this guy.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We just had a huge meeting where a guy was presenting and the old guy went on a tirade for 45 minutes about shit that didn't matter. Now everyone knows..

Tenks

Yeah there is an older guy on my team that everytime he speaks in a meeting there is a collective eye roll and sigh

Tenks

Noodle do you possibly have a bowl of ribbon candy out at your desk which is attracting the elderly?