James S.A. Corey - The Expanse

Discussion in 'Book House' started by Seventh, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Kovaks Well-Known Member DONOR

Kovaks
    Ratings:
    +206
    well that left off on a fucking cliff hanger.I felt m night shamalongadingdonged at the end. I too like the crew additions hope they are both still there next book. I'm very interested to see who they get to play Bobby on the show if it lasts that long.

2. spronk FPS noob DONOR

spronk
    Ratings:
    +472
    yeah just finished the last book too, i think this one of those where the TV show is gonna be better than the books. Last book was 80% boring ass shit but also felt written in a way to be a TV show. Not really that impressed with the books honestly, they have a few cool ideas but sooooo much filler crap.

3. Zyke Member

Zyke
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm liking them a lot. Cibola Burns was the slowest for me by far but I really enjoyed nemesis games, which I just finished last night. The Amos chapters especially. All this series really needs is more Amos being Amos doing Amos things in Amos ways and I'd buy another 5 books easily. I do get a little tired of the "Oh look humans being shitty to each other" theme but at least they're consistent and people fucking each other over at least seems to be for reasons that are well established in the universe and not just coming out of nowhere, and they seem fairly logical if not always super exciting.

Could use more space battles though, we haven't seen much of that the last couple books except for things happening off screen mostly.

4. Lusiphur Member

Lusiphur
    Ratings:
    +23
    Nemesis Games was certainly an upgrade over Cibola Burn. Series still delivers imo.

5. TJT Adrenaline Junkie DONOR

TJT
    Ratings:
    +3,843
    Just read this series over the Holiday.

Awesome overall. But god damn Holden is the worst piece of shit character ever. I just despised him more and more as the series went on.

6. Ukerric Bearded Ape DONOR

Ukerric
    Ratings:
    +188
    Finished Babylon's Ashes just before christmas. It was a bit slower and less packed than the previous ones, but that's basically because it's the second half of Nemesis Games.

Too much Marco, not enough alien, I guess
    Even if the alien Gates make a wonderful weapon

7. TJT Adrenaline Junkie DONOR

TJT
    Ratings:
    +3,843
    It also kind of annoyed me how pretty much nobody was really taking into account how horrible a literal extinction level event on Earth was.

8. suineg Administrator

suineg
    Ratings:
    +4,242
    I finished it last night and felt it wrapped up too quickly and too convenient.

I really thought they were going to go with the gate teleporting them to a different location instead of it vaporizing them. I kind of hope it's like that and then Inaros (as much as I think the character is stupid) brings back an alien force through some wormhole. You heard it here first.

9. TJT Adrenaline Junkie DONOR

TJT
    Ratings:
    +3,843
    Oh god I hope not. But I do think you're right that Marco has to play into the incredibly obvious Filip Redemption Arc coming up. That redemption arc pisses me off because Filip intentionally killed literally billions of human beings. Any redemption arc he's given simply isn't enough. Seriously anyone complicit with the Free Navy's plans needs an unconditional bullet to the head. Making Michio Pa the new leader of the Spacing Guild is hard enough to swallow.

And that is still worse than Basia from Cibola Burn at least he never actually intended to kill anyone and was only complicit in the killing of a dozen or so people and even that one is hard to take.

But back to it. The next book will have to be about the Laconia colony and whatever Xenotech they've found that allows them to produce a bunch of shit. I guess the marines defending the Rail cannon thing in the Slow Zone will give up some shit on it eventually and they'll start to press their new power.