Poll January's Retro Game of the Month

What game should we play and discuss in January?

• Metroid & Super Metroid (NES and SNES)

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • God Hand (PS2)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Illusion of Gaia (SNES)

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Skyblazer (SNES)

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Romancing Saga 2 (Super Famicom/Steam)

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Pitfall 2 (Atari 2600)

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Wild Arms (PlayStation)

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Demon's Crest (SNES)

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Dino City (SNES)

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Here are January's options for Retro Game of the Month.

Mostly SNES, although PlayStation, Playstation 2 and the Atari 2600 are also represented. I'd still like to see Demon's Crest get selected, but there are plenty of other fine choices too.

Get voting!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I keep voting for games on my SNES Classic, in hopes it will give me a reason to fire that thing up and actually use it.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Would it be beneficial to start posting some references to the games we are nominating e.g. pictures, video, wiki article? It may help people to select some of the games they don't know about and not force them to go out and do it themselves.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Voted the Metroid games. I remember never playing one and picking up super Metroid based on cover art alone. Such a good purchase

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Would it be beneficial to start posting some references to the games we are nominating e.g. pictures, video, wiki article? It may help people to select some of the games they don't know about and not force them to go out and do it themselves.

here's the one i nominated:

Skyblazer - Wikipedia

classic SNES-style platformer with a few twists. there's an overworld map, fun progression of learned abilities, hidden areas, puzzles. a few different style levels that make creative use of SNES Mode 7 graphics. fun setting borrowing from both eastern and western mythology. not real long tho, can probably beat it in an afternoon.

some gameplay, just the first few levels:

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Aw shit, you nerds better go vote for Wild Arms if you missed it back in the PSX era. It's right up there with chrono/ff6 etc and wildly underrated.

Though you may want to just change it to the Code F version or whatever came out for PS2? I haven't tried it personally but afaik it's just a superior/enhanced version of the original with additional story etc.

Last edited:

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Voted Metroid(s). We've had two RPGs in a row, lets get some platforming action going for a change of pace!

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Aw shit, you nerds better go vote for Wild Arms if you missed it back in the PSX era. It's right up there right chrono/ff6 etc and wildly underrated.

Though you may want to just change it to the Code F version or whatever came out for PS2? I haven't tried it personally but afaik it's just a superior/enhanced version of the original with additional story etc.
Actually just found my copy of code f

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

YYup- would use this as an excuse to finish my playthough of the code f remake. I actually like the orig also- and I am a sucker for anime music vid openings.

But if we do go platformer and skip a month on rpg- as much as I love wild arms - I think Lunar SSSC is a MUST play sometime in 2018

Szlia

I voted for the 2 non-rpg games I own and have not played: God Hand and Dino City.

For reference (since it's the game I submitted) God Hand is a 3D brawler and is the last game made by Clover Studio. It is supposedly one of the best action game ever made with a bazillion customizable combos and the weirdest sense of humor.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Those are not walkthroughs per-se, but they will give you an idea of what it means to vote for Metroid, which I did. Super Metroid is one of the best video games ever produced.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
if metroid wins, i might play the GBA remake instead.

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Salty

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Need to get Castlevania SOTN on one of these lists. Probably my favorite game of all time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Also, Moonbat, I'd like to nominate the Genesis game 'Gunstar Heroes' for a future poll option someday.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
God damn, good luck with that. At least that game doesn't start you with only 30 life when you respawn, but you will be farming missles for hours and hours and hours.

haven't played it yet, but i have a physical copy for my GBA so *shrugs*

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Need to get Castlevania SOTN on one of these lists. Probably my favorite game of all time.
Also, Moonbat, I'd like to nominate the Genesis game 'Gunstar Heroes' for a future poll option someday.

Both exceptional choices! Nominations for the next game will open up probably around the last week of January, so you just gotta be one of the first ten to post your choice when that happens. You can "watch" this thread if you want to be alerted when the next nomination round begins.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Ya I shoulda voted Metroid, it is becoming the addicted to old RPGs support group up in here