John Smedley hired by Amazon to produce MMOs

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Amazon probably told him to pay back the Heros Song money. Would have been extremely bad press if they just folded and told everyone "sorry the money is gone, fuck off" and then some weeks later basically the whole team starts a new studio at Amazon...

You are 100% right about that, Was talking to someone who worked with Smed on a project and Heroes Song was closed down and refunded on amazon's insistence.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Never said it was.. but people keep holding his feet to the fire on it as if they were personally wronged. They weren't.

Are we allowed to still hate on him for stealing 50k of the croudfunded money from Pantheon V1.0? Because that was him personally wronging the people who donated to the project.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Angrily chewing old soup is at least 40% of what we do here though

40%? That's like 95% of this entire forum lmao

It's an mmo though, I'm gonna give it a try regardless of who is making it but I'm definitely not giving kickstarter money ya know?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Are we allowed to still hate on him for stealing 50k of the croudfunded money from Pantheon V1.0? Because that was him personally wronging the people who donated to the project.

Yeah, that's the new hotness. Vanguard druggy stuff is just the low hanging fruit that's easier to poke fun at.

Also, it's not like Brad's released 3 successful games since then. It's literally his last released game

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Which is exactly why the drug problem still gets brought up. The fucking nerve of us making fun of someone who stole crowdfunding money.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
He was telling people on government assistance to max out their fucking credit cards so that he could cure his wife's cancer or some shit.

And he found Jesus and dirtbikes when he was looking for a way off the vicodin. Didn't sell that dirtbike. I guess his wife only rates sucker money.

The man is fucking garbage. Which, as a practical matter, can be overlooked sometimes if they are exceptional at their work. But he's well below average at that, too.

McQuaid is faith healer tier.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 8 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
how has brad been supporting himself all these years?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
how has brad been supporting himself all these years?
I mean, he's been taking peoples money "for Pantheon" for about 5 years now so I'm guessing he jumped into that as soon as his EQ/Vanguard money dried up.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
thats a very long con.

• 1Like

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I miss seeing my old guildie in vanguard that passed away and got put in as an NPC, hope we can get that in panthenon, a nice persistent 20+ year game

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
oh my god the title.

what the fuck.

I got a small but profound heart attack.

• 1Worf

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Brad "get the ludes" Mcquaid.

Hilarious to see someone working in the industry defend a guy that stole kickstarter money.

Smedley is great also. I mean he worked on EQ nearly 20 years ago and hasn't done anything of note since, who would want to argue with such proven talent?

These guys and the Daikatana dude could be like the holy triumvirate of past expiry date devs.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If anything, I see this as just a way for Amazon to bring in a dried up veteran with mild success to train a new team and mentor his successor. You dont have to pay him as much as some of the rock star devs would ask, and can shit can him easily. Like him, hate him, praise his success or praise his failures, hes just there to train people.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Train them to do what? If he were any good at training people to be competent project leaders/devs, SOE wouldn't have been the shitshow it was and EQNext would be a playable game by now.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Malkav

French Madman
Did Elidroth just necro a 4 months old thread just to white knight Brad?

Fucking lol.

• 4Worf
  • 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users
Is this true? Why would anyone hire Smed who had a one hit wonder and then ran it into the ground even with Sony bailouts. Every single thing he did since EQ was a disaster. He destroyed SWG, they made a piece of shit sequel to EQ, they started lots of games and wasted money on them and most of them made it to release, some where completely terrible, they bought Vanguard and ran that into the ground too. He is the worst.