Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Tactics Ogre might be the only 1P console game I like more than FF Tactics

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
How’s the performance on PC? I’ll probably pay $50 for it barring any PC port problems.

• 1Like

turbo

Molten Core Raider
just 4-5 battles in but zero issues and plays smooth. My only complaint and extreme sorrow...did they remove the "MVP" bonus at the end of fights? I love games that let you have things like that to help make it abit more fun on trying to get last hits and damage to try and get a little extra bonus for them :(

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Tactics Ogre is by far the best of its genre imo and the changes they made for Reborn sound great, but it's irritating that SE decided not to release it for Xbox. I really don't want to buy it on PC (at least not until it shows up on Geforce Now) or PS5... anyone here tried it on Switch? I've heard it looks great on both handheld and docked, but I'm not seeing anyone talk about load times which are something that have made me regret buying a few things on Switch instead of other platforms in the past.
Have it on switch, haven’t noticed any load times really. Runs as smoothly as anything on switch does, and it’s not like it’s particularly graphically stunning on any platform.

• 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
I have it on the Switch too - I haven't seen any problems. I'm still on the fence if I prefer the remaster remastered music over the PSP version. In any event it'll be great to play through this again.

Maybe if it sells well enough there will be a FFT WOTL remaster?

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe if it sells well enough there will be a FFT WOTL remaster?
FFT remaster was in the Nvidia leak ages ago. So far pretty much every other game in that leak has been officially announced or already released. I’d say it’s pretty much a given FFT is coming, the question is just when. I can’t wait!

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would love for a FFT Remaster on Steam, then you can mod in a JP scroll glitch to shorten brutal long grinding hours too

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It’s probably going to be some shitty remake where they “felt that the isometric tactical combat is dated and not what players want in the 2020s” and we’ll end up with some shitty aRPG for the nth time

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It’s probably going to be some shitty remake where they “felt that the isometric tactical combat is dated and not what players want in the 2020s” and we’ll end up with some shitty aRPG for the nth time

Or they'll add an Easy Mode where you no longer need to micro-manage or think, trivializing the gameplay and destroying the overall game.

Every time I say stuff like this, people are like "what's wrong with easy modes, you can just not use them". In some cases I agree, some games are better off having a scale of difficulty. However, in the case of Perfect games, like Final Fantasy Tactics / VI or Elden Ring / Bloodborne, I really do think easy modes would ruin those games.

Agree/disagree?

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm only a handful of battles into Tactics Ogre Reborn and it is just mind-blowing how much better this game is than FFT in both story and gameplay. I don't know how much was changed from the original Ogre but I can hardly believe that FFT came after this game because FFT just does everything worse.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm only a handful of battles into Tactics Ogre Reborn and it is just mind-blowing how much better this game is than FFT in both story and gameplay. I don't know how much was changed from the original Ogre but I can hardly believe that FFT came after this game because FFT just does everything worse.
There's a video that explains all the changes in a review and there were quite a lot of changes to make it less shitty than it used to, by reducing the amount of stupid grinding you need for example and adding endgame content and what not.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The changes all sound entirely awful to me?

Fixed team-wide XP per stage?

Class change tokens that are gated behind drops/vendors?

Level caps on based on story battles?

How is any of this anything but cutting the balls off the entire class/xp system?

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Tactics Ogre might be the only 1P console game I like more than FF Tactics
FF tactics had the job system with hidden classes and shit tat was cool, came with special abilities and shit too. TT Ogre from what I remember was a grind fest keeping all of your troops leveled up and they were all standard BS. Both games I had fun with but FFT was way fucking better IMO.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
FF tactics had the job system with hidden classes and shit tat was cool, came with special abilities and shit too. TT Ogre from what I remember was a grind fest keeping all of your troops leveled up and they were all standard BS. Both games I had fun with but FFT was way fucking better IMO.
Tactics ogre also had a job system with hidden classes. You had to grind certain units if you weren’t using them as much, just like FFT. I think you’re thinking of a different game or didn’t play it very much and are misremembering. I think it had more classes than FFT, not even including the monster classes.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Tactics ogre also had a job system with hidden classes. You had to grind certain units if you weren’t using them as much, just like FFT. I think you’re thinking of a different game or didn’t play it very much and are misremembering. I think it had more classes than FFT, not even including the monster classes.

Yeah maybe im misremembering, shit its been like 30 yrs. I remember it being way more grindy though.

edit: holy shit they want $50 for this game that I understand is redone, but damn, not paying that much for an old ass 1995 game, lol. Maybe $20-$30 I would pay.

Last edited:

Rude

Potato del Grande
The changes all sound entirely awful to me?

Fixed team-wide XP per stage?

Class change tokens that are gated behind drops/vendors?

Level caps on based on story battles?

How is any of this anything but cutting the balls off the entire class/xp system?
Eh, unless you were planning ahead early stuff was so slow you would be fucked by normal play / grind. IIRC warrior was shit, swords are shit, pretty sure hammer wasn't good. Archers mowed stuff down. Grinding weapon skill levels was agonizingly slow.

I mean don't get me wrong I would take the PSP version with a fast forward button since I've played through it.. But I don't think I would be interested in having Hobyrim carry me again.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Maybe it opens up later or something, but FFT is much much more customizable with classes. Everything in Tactics Ogre is tied to your current class, so you can’t use two swords from a ninja when you are a knight and add in another classes abilities like you could in FFT

My other major complaint is I don’t like how fucking slow everyone is. Takes too long to even get in range of enemy. And they may have undertuned ranged weapons, seems like by chapter 2 anyone using one is doing like 40 damage against 700hp enemies

Still a fun game so far though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Another cool thing about TO is that the battles are much bigger-scale. FFT's five-character limit is a drag, especially when enemy groups start having 8+ enemies later on. TO it's more even.