JRPGs

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Recently picked up the remake of Brigandine. Played the original a lot back in the day. It’s pretty fun, but not sure how much of that is nostalgia. The battles are kind of slow, AI does some weird shit sometimes. I do think $40 or whatever it is when it’s not on sale is kind of steep for what it is. There are other, better srpgs out there for less. Could have used a lot more monsters and skills I think but overall it’s still fun.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wish there was an easy way to get hold of some of the old PS JRPGs like Alundra, The Legend of Dragoon, Parasite Eve II.

I would also sacrifice a small child to get my hands on a working version of Vandal Hearts.
Dude, the first Vandal hearts was great. The best thing (I don't -think- it was a bug) is if you managed to gather all the mcguffins from the maps (always some weird looking tile randomly placed) you opened up the final job promotion for the main guy, which had a lightsaber and the ability to use every ability/item from the game as a spell. I remember getting it and going "Wait I can use the item that heals everyone on the map without having it?" and then just rofflestomping everything. Spent many an hour playing that.

VH2 was a very different beast. The enemies moving at the same time you moved made some conflicts just... annoying. Like dodging FOEs in Etrian Odyssey without knowing the secret path annoying. Also I remember the art style being drastically different and not enjoying it as much, but it -has- been like 25 years or so.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I wish there was an easy way to get hold of some of the old PS JRPGs like Alundra, The Legend of Dragoon, Parasite Eve II.

I would also sacrifice a small child to get my hands on a working version of Vandal Hearts.

There are PSX emulators out there and VH is easy to get - and you could throw it on a Raspberry Pi :)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
First off, beat Xenoblade 2. Great fucking game, gets you invested in all the characters, tells a quality story, and combat is fun when you figure it out. That said the mini games are all trash and boring, but you can mostly ignore it if you want.

May have to play a NG+ at some point since there are so many blades to discover.

Playing Torna now and the music is so fucking good it I had to come here and post about how fucking good it is.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finished the story for XC3 just so I can get the post-game perks (like XC2 you can level down with bonus xp as soon as you clear). Much in the vein of old Final Fantasy games I would have to rate the mid game villain higher than the final one, so I 100% give the nod to XC2 as winning in that department. There are a few after quests presumably for prior game callbacks so I'll go through them later after the monsoon passes my house.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
There are PSX emulators out there and VH is easy to get - and you could throw it on a Raspberry Pi :)
Emulator talk (Amod Amod move/remove if not kosher)
epsxe for PS1 has always been my go-to; I think it has like almost 100% compatibility? (with some minor screen tearing if you don't do some fiddling with settings)

pcxs2 for PS2

visualboyadvance for GBA/GBA Advance/NES - This thing is a tank

I -used- to use a lot of zsnes back in the day, but bsnes_hd is probably the benchmark for SNES games

Gens for Genesis

DesMuMe for NDS games has been the key there.

Haven't tried any PS3 or higher, or 3ds/switch stuff, but I hear it all exists pretty easily.

The emulation game has come a long way. Also, not many groups right on the nose like "DeJap" anymore haha

• 1Truth!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
First off, beat Xenoblade 2. Great fucking game, gets you invested in all the characters, tells a quality story, and combat is fun when you figure it out. That said the mini games are all trash and boring, but you can mostly ignore it if you want.

May have to play a NG+ at some point since there are so many blades to discover.

Playing Torna now and the music is so fucking good it I had to come here and post about how fucking good it is.

Is the Torna music in question mostly Yasunori Mitsuda? I know he did a lot of tracks for base XB2. If so, feel free to link a couple standout tracks on here!

Said it before and I'll say it again, Yasunori Mitsuda is the best game composer of all time, bar none. Sometimes I wonder how much of Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross/Xenogears/Xenosaga's appeal was from his incredible music.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nobuo Uematsu would like a word.

But yeah, Yasunori Mitsuda is pretty amazing, and involved in so much.

Malakriss

There is a silly combination of XC3 late game combat mechanics that lets you farm + class level with ease. Noah's unique Talent Art can be equipped on any class and has a low % of Doom for normal/elite enemies if he is an attacker. The B button slash attack is multi-hit. Flash Fencer unlocks a Master Art at 15 called Capable Hands which lets you start the battle with the Talent Art gauge filled, up to 100% at Rank 20.

Basically delevel to 55 and fight the two 70ish elites in the final area near a skip travel point, then jump off the side to die and they respawn. Likely has some good uses in other places for farming gem mats.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Anyone finished XC3? Just started chapter 5. How much more is there of the game? Assuming that I do try to find the ? for the yellow quests to unlock classes. Done every blue quest so far, but they seem rather pointless. Few add to the story, just busywork quest. Or are there yellow quests hidden behind the star ranking of colonies, so I should do all blue quests? Or can I just buy my way there like in XC2?

Also, is there any use for the coins other than the one trader at the start of the game? I keep going there when I reach 99 and buy a useless trinket so they won't get auto sold, but now I am closing in on 99 of the golden coins too. Can I just use them on things like gems / meals?

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
You can use the silver coins to rank up classes. Gold coins are best used for higher tier gems(do remember you don't need to actually craft the previous tier gem to get the next tier; you could jump straight to rank 10 gems if you have the mats/coins).

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Nobuo Uematsu would like a word.

But yeah, Yasunori Mitsuda is pretty amazing, and involved in so much.

Hitoshi Sakimoto (hope I'm remembering it right) is also pretty incredible, the guy who did the soundtracks for Vagrant Story / Final Fantasy Tactics. He also did FF12 but it's a fairly forgettable soundtrack in comparison to the others.

Personally my totally un-controversial list is:
1. Yasunori Mitsuda
2. Hitoshi Sakimoto
3. Nobuo Uematsu
HM: Junya Nakano (Tobal No 1 and a few other things)

Uematsu wins on sheer output over time but I never got awe-inspired goosebumps from his music like I did from the other two above. Junya Nakano did some tremendous music but not too much so I can't really rank him on there.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone here play Dragonball Z: Kakarot? Seems like a decent follow-up to the old DBZ RPGs on the Famicom and Super Famicom, with the battles playing more like a fighting game. Outside of those it has leveling up and sidequests and random battles, etc.

I'm about halfway through it and the difficulty really starts to go through the roof around the Android Saga, with the enemies outleveling me by a lot because I didn't do any sidequests. I'll probably plow the rest this weekend unless I hit a total impasse. It's pretty good if you grew up with DBZ like I did.

joz123

Potato del Grande
He also did FF12 but it's a fairly forgettable soundtrack in comparison to the others.
Ron Burgundy What GIF

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Hitoshi Sakimoto (hope I'm remembering it right) is also pretty incredible, the guy who did the soundtracks for Vagrant Story / Final Fantasy Tactics. He also did FF12 but it's a fairly forgettable soundtrack in comparison to the others.

Personally my totally un-controversial list is:
1. Yasunori Mitsuda
2. Hitoshi Sakimoto
3. Nobuo Uematsu
HM: Junya Nakano (Tobal No 1 and a few other things)

Soken is a mastermind and also a crazy person at the same time, the work he has put into the 14 soundtrack sense HW(Uematsu did 1.0/ARR and a bit of HW with Soken)..

• 1Like

Malakriss

If you want the 2nd run speed increase in XC3 you can literally do every sidequest available inside the town and come up one quest short of Rank 5. It's weird but Triton's rank 20 quest is actually a blocker, after clearing it a new ? popped up in town (hit 5 with just the first one) and more infos after that.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Key words were "in comparison to the others". FFT and Vagrant Story are two of the best game soundtracks in existence.

Just remembered another one he did, Valkyria Chronicles. Not sure -which- ones he did...1 and 4 I think.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Actually one of the best composers of game music is probably Yuzo Koshiro. He practically invented tha idea of making high quality, emotional gane music back in the mid 80s. Just look at his discography. Chris Hulsbeck has also said that Koshiro was one of his main inspirations in game music.

I also really like Motoi Sakuraba, and Hitoshi Sakimoto. Sorry, but I think Nobuo Uematsu is overrated. He has a few good tunes but most are largely forgettable.

Yozo Koshiro still makes FM Synthesis music today, preserving the old feel of bad ass gaming times, and he makes magic shit happen with FM. Here's a shooter that came out earlier this year.

I guess it boils down to what kind of music a composer makes to determine if they are "best" or not. I mean, they are all good using their respective instruments, and styles really. Growing up with gaming in the 80s though, I have a partial fondness to the old school sounds.

Last edited:
  • 1Like