King's Bounty Game Series

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So King's Bounty Dark Side released 8/14 - anyone arm deep in it yet?
The story is face palm bad. Going for the green, I play a demoness, that is best described by "how a 10 year old girl would roleplay a succubus when she just watched an anime marathon".

The enemy, the good guys in this case follow an alignment that strongly reminds me ofLord Garithos from TFT. There's nothing good about them, they're just a bunch of racists and you feel absolutely nothing when doing "fake evil" things to them.

But it's more of the same old fighting. So just click and ignore, if only there weren't sooooo many quests again.

Caliane

The story is face palm bad. Going for the green, I play a demoness, that is best described by "how a 10 year old girl would roleplay a succubus when she just watched an anime marathon".
now that just sounds hilarious, and makes me more interested in it.

looking at it now. wow horrible box art. how the fuck was that released?
Is combat actually improved at all? or just same old shit?
User reviews do not seem to kind.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you didn't like the combat in AP or WotN, you shouldn't play it. It really is the same engine, the same units, the same combat system. They tweaked the talents a bit, but that's it. But don't judge it by reviews on general gaming sites, these people do not like turn based strategy and will shit on even the best titles.

As for the story, I'm not kidding, it's really horrible. I think this is what Twilight must be like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I finished AP/Crossworlds and enjoyed all of it, then went on to WotN. I'm not a fan really, the game is way way too easy now, and I think it boils down to the (completely unnecessary) addition of "runes" to your combat units. The extra turn shit just made it so ridiculously faceroll easy, even with a gay full-viking army.

Does this 4th installment have something gay like that rune shit, or did they go back to Crossworlds combat?

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Mostly CW combat. Honestly if you're not sick of the KB game mechanics and just want to gimmick your way to victory yet again go for it. I'm waiting until it's like 3 or 4 dollars personally.

They did manage to make the questing even worse by making sure half the quests will take you to 2+ islands that you already visited. Has anybody read any of the story for the previous games? Let's be honest here. That tiny ass text and pages upon pages of it makes it feel like really bad fanfic.

Most of the new units are just evil versions of previously existing ones.

Nothing else much has changed. Juke bad AI to get early OP items (restarted a few times and got a Phoenix scroll in a chest behind the first castle. Holy hell did the first 40% of the game go by fast after that). Spend 20 combat rounds on the first two islands every fight just chain casting this games version of bless and trap to get the bonus traits. Sit around twiddling my dick until my mana regens. Hit that point about halfway~2/3rds into the game where you have the units, spells and items you need to just repeat the same strat ad nauseum until you either get bored of it or manage to slog your way through to the end of the game.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Guess I'll just drop this here.

I loved these games (though it was a bit stale by Warriors of the North). Something simple but satisfying about playing through them. Not much info yet on this other than it's supposedly being released in 2020.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
These were a great spiritual successor to HoMM, and I definitely look forward to what they can put together for this.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Guess I'll just drop this here.

I loved these games (though it was a bit stale by Warriors of the North). Something simple but satisfying about playing through them. Not much info yet on this other than it's supposedly being released in 2020.
I only played Armored Princess, but I played the shit out of it - despite it being relatively simple. King’s Bounty is one of those rare games that manage to be challenging enough to be compelling without being so punishing that it’s easy to put down, at least that was my experience on whatever difficulty I played on (it’s been several years since I played).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user