KOTOR Reboot

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
KOTOR and KOTOR2 were both very good games. I played KOTOR2 with the content restored mod a couple of years ago, it was still a great experience despite the dated gameplay.

It's hard to pick a best SW game for me since there's very good ones in very different genres.
It was great *at the time* because BioWare was great at the time, and they gave Star Wars a great Bioware spin. The Force power they gave whomever "fleet command" or whatever, IIRC seemed kind of deus ex (BAM) but funny companions and big ShamalmaDingDong Twist was good. Plus it was was so far outside of "current timeline" Star Wars (based on one Obi Wan line, all the nooks and crannies they have found in the original 3 films and the EU, my goodness) that you didn't have to worry about stepping on Leia's dress or Vader's cape.

EDIT: I am only referring to KOTOR

Last edited:

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
It was great *at the time* because BioWare was great at the time, and they gave Star Wars a great Bioware spin.
Well KOTOR2 wasn't made by bioware it was made by Obsidian who are still making pretty good games to this day.
I'm not making any comment about how good a remake might be but Bioware outsourcing it is probably good news. Since the company that's doing it 'Aspyr' was somehow involved in the originals maybe that is good too. I'm not sure what their involvement was originally, maybe just porting them to other platforms.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Well KOTOR2 wasn't made by bioware it was made by Obsidian who are still making pretty good games to this day.
I'm not making any comment about how good a remake might be but Bioware outsourcing it is probably good news. Since the company that's doing it 'Aspyr' was somehow involved in the originals maybe that is good too. I'm not sure what their involvement was originally, maybe just porting them to other platforms.
I am not referring to KOTOR2, which I probably own but have never played. I understand it was an unfinished mess at launch and never improved much over that, although over the years various people/teams have poured time/sweat/treasure into it to make it not a POS. One of the best things about PC gaming are the windmills people joust and the unexpected bits of joy that sometimes result. Hopefully its about the journey and the friends we make along the way for most of these people, though.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Being unfinished and buggy messes are pretty much a signature of games by obsidian and their predecessor black isle. Think fallout 1/2, two of the most loved games ever. Both were impossible to finish for most players due to how buggy they were. More recently Tyranny, a great game even though it was obviously half finished at best.

Sterling

El Presidente
latest

Best Star Wars game.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Definitely Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series is the best. Not even close. and fuck this reboot.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
lol

"why do you want to work on KOTOR"
"its NOT my favorite star wars game"
"you're hired!!"

Oh God, she looks almost exactly like a friend of a friend who I almost started going out with in 2017 until I checked out her social media and found out she was a raging leftist lunatic.

Maybe I'll just deal with the outdated visuals and play KOTOR on XBox.

Edit: Is the best way to play KOTOR2 on PC with that mod?

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What would be a good time to sell my OG Xbox version of KOTOR? Complete in the case and everything. Wondering if it'll go up on this announcement, or down, or what effect the actual remake release will have on prices for the original...

I could see a situation where the remake has so many things changed that the original shoots up in price post-release.

spronk

FPS noob
collectors for that stuff just care about the condition and rarity, for the best price you need to get it graded by a grading company but thats a bit of a scam in itself. i don't know much about the market honestly, i know its pretty much at an all time high now but its been trending higher every month for old video games.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'll probably wait a bit on selling it then. I've sold hundreds of games over the years, starting with my 90's / 00's collections and then moving on to selling things as I finish with them. Something like AC Valhalla I could expect to recoup at least two thirds of what I spent. Still have a lot of retro games that I haven't finished or otherwise am not ready to sell and it's pretty rad how much a lot of them are going for now. For example my last DS game is Spirit Tracks and whenever I finish that I'll get like $40 for the game and $120 for the system I'm playing it on. I keep everything in tip-top condition.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

I remember when that came out, it was almost impossible to find. So I decided to go to a ratty/dirty K-Mart in a bad area of town and they had plenty in stock. Same trick worked years later for the WoW collectors editions - I would go to run down Walmart and they always had plenty while all the smooth brains just went to the "usual" game places.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I remember when that came out, it was almost impossible to find. So I decided to go to a ratty/dirty K-Mart in a bad area of town and they had plenty in stock. Same trick worked years later for the WoW collectors editions - I would go to run down Walmart and they always had plenty while all the smooth brains just went to the "usual" game places.
E473FF2B-F03F-4900-9FE0-EDBE3B183891.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 12Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 12 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
While I enjoy shitting on Cybsled Cybsled 's hot takes as much as anyone, in this case he is totally right.

Walmart was the easiest place to find anything high demand when other places were having preorders and midnight lines. Wrath of the Lich King was out of preordered stock on release night everywhere in my city but at 12:01 AM Walmart had an aisle display full of them. Hell, they had four pallets of the last Harry Potter book at the front entrance on release day when every book store (remember those?) in town was on a week long waiting list.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
While I enjoy shitting on Cybsled Cybsled 's hot takes as much as anyone, in this case he is totally right.

Walmart was the easiest place to find anything high demand when other places were having preorders and midnight lines. Wrath of the Lich King was out of preordered stock on release night everywhere in my city but at 12:01 AM Walmart had an aisle display full of them. Hell, they had four pallets of the last Harry Potter book at the front entrance on release day when every book store (remember those?) in town was on a week long waiting list.
I wasn’t really shitting on him, just shitposting him floating over the smooth brains. I used to do the same thing when we had a run down Kmart.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
latest

Best Star Wars game.
I still remember anytime my mom went to the mall and I would bee line to Sears or anywhere where they had a demo kiosk and play this and then finally for Christmas in 1981 received my Atari 2600 with this game. It was so awesome.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This was also a fantastic Star Wars game:
1631543740497.png

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It was also hard as fuck. Those SNES StarWars games were so unforgiving

• 1Solidarity