Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)

Cybsled

I've heard a bunch of people say this moving was criminally ignored and the marketing team should have been sacked. Opinions in the thread so far seem to support that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I would say it received just as shitty marketing as Dread relative to its quality. fucking shame, because zootopia prolly gonna win the oscar for best animated.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
fucking shame, because zootopia prolly gonna win the oscar for best animated.

If one of the bigger animated movies is a favorite I'd say it will probably be Moana. I think Kubo actually has a pretty good shot at walking away with it though.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The academy likes two things in their best animated feature winners; skew towards being musicals and a central theme that is heavy on sentimentality. Zootopia was a little too close to the comedy realm. But both it an Moana were put out by Disney, so they'll both be getting a heavy lobbying push in Hollywood circles. That actually does more for awareness with the voters than the pre-release marketing and Laika just isn't in Disney's league on that front.

Caliane

I've heard a bunch of people say this moving was criminally ignored and the marketing team should have been sacked. Opinions in the thread so far seem to support that.
only in the sense they don't have the marketing machine of Disney shilling the movie across 30 different platforms, and 40% of TV stations.

Siliconemelons

Good movie, loved the visuals - even during the dark parts the kids loved it- the story was very Asian but its still good and held the kids attention-
eastern ending, glad they kept it. When the heroes parents die and could be back - and "die" again lol then "bad guy" gets to live on...not very western tradition lol

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bullshit Zootopia won over this last night, doubt the people who vote at the GG even watched this film

Caliane

eh. this was only ok. technical and visuals maybe. but story was just ok. Since none of the animated feature awards actually have separate categories for things.
Zootopia was just pretty meh as well...