League Of Legends

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Totally incompetent.

What? 67 Million players?

Guess they are just lucky.
They have, and have had, the most established and well known moba that will also run on a toaster for 5 years. They have the most popular competitive scene to support it. What they don't have is any recent evidence that they have any fucking clue how to utilize their position and turn their game itself into a better product for their players. I don't see how that's remotely arguable.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I like this game but Riot as a company do seem rather incompetent. I think it has to do with their size and focus. They care more about eSports and they have become very inefficient due to growth.

I can see Replays being hard but they could just implement a record feature client-side like lolreplay and keep the data off the servers.

Their reason for sandbox mode is laughable.

These aren't features I need but for an even more legit competitive scene I would feel like these would be very necessary.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I actually use custom games a lot these days to mess around with different champs and builds. Mostly because no dobtvhave time for a full game or think im going to be interrupted.

I would love a sandbox mode. I'd use it a lot.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I like this game but Riot as a company do seem rather incompetent. I think it has to do with their size and focus. They care more about eSports and they have become very inefficient due to growth.

I can see Replays being hard but they could just implement a record feature client-side like lolreplay and keep the data off the servers.
Unless you only wanted to record from your perspective, that would mean sending full game data to the client system and making map hacks and things of that nature quite easy.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Full damage control mode, engage! Pwiff is gonna sprain something with all these gymnastics he's having to do.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
What % of LoL's player base would use a sandbox mode? I have this feeling that Riot's market research may have more info than our forum.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would use it rarely but I would use it. A good sandbox mode is super versatile and there'd be a lot of reasons to dick around in it - learn a new champ, practice last hitting / jungling, try out weird item builds and champion interactions. The first couple could be used by practically anyone once in a while, other reasons you start to get into niche / high level stuff.

They have some form of sandbox internally already, so it SHOULDN'T even be a long-term project to get something into the wild. But with their god awful project management and dev process who knows.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I could finally master putting that damn Scarra ward from dragon pit into tribrush actually, it would be worth it just for that

chantmaster

Lord Nagafen Raider
As i see it, using a sandbox would be more boring, more efficient but more boring than playing.
This leads to more people getting tired of the game and leaving.

I see the move as a correct one.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Ridiculous. With the level of mechanical difficulty they are adding to a lot of heroes and abilities not having a mode to practice timing shit like flash lee kicks or gragas flash flops is just dumb.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
As i see it, using a sandbox would be more boring, more efficient but more boring than playing.
This leads to more people getting tired of the game and leaving.

I see the move as a correct one.
You are out of your fucking mind. Might I introduce you to the fighting game community? Hell, scratch that. Might I introduce you to the concept of PRACTICE? You know, it's that thing you do to get better atanything.League of Legends is a game that can put some pretty substantial mechanical demands on its players and to just come out and say they are not going to be adding a way of efficiently practicing difficult maneuvers makes them look less like a modern gaming operation and more like a buggy whip factory.

Someone should send Combofiend a telegram and explain to him that SF5's robust training mode is going to result in people getting bored and leaving. The very idea that I have to defend the merits ofpracticeis almost more than I can withstand. Are you people really this goddamn stupid?

penalty_sl

shitlord
Yea the argument that practice is boring is fucking absurd. I also saw monte say that only 20% of NA actually plays ranked games. Thats pretty hilarious actually, I had no idea the playerbase was so casual. Maybe is the way they have ranked set up, its pretty harsh.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
A game as large and as successful as League of Legends with as big of an international competitive scene as League has is going forward with no training mode and no replays in the year of our Lord and Savior 2015 and there are actually people out there defending their decision to not include what has been regarded basic functionality in other e-sports for years.

But hey, there's a new Riven skin coming out! Reach for the stars, Riot. Reach for the stars.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Is that what you think I meant? I'll clue you in.

"Why would we bother putting effort into replays and training mode at all when skins like Arcade Riven stack paper up to the ceiling?"

If their Chinese masters told them that the only fruit they can pick are the ones that hang the lowest this would all make sense.

Would be nice to have. I can't count the number of times I lost a fight or a game straight up while attempting to do shen flash taunts, Vargas flash flops, or insecs. Now I can do them naturally but it was rough going through the learning process.

Edit: because practicing things like flash taunts in a bot game still has lots of downtime between attempts wizardhawk. So not really enjoyable to sit around doing nothing in a bot game for thirty minutes to get five attempts at a sensitive maneuver. Whereas in sandbox I could spam the practice for thirty minutes straight.

Or when working on item builds. I could spend an hour plus playing to try out two or three different builds for damage potential under conditions i can't control. Or I could set up a target dummy not and rattle off six different item builds in ten minutes for comparison.