Leave the World Behind (2023)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i liked how genetics was brought into play

if you have ethan hawke and julia roberts, 2 beautiful ppl, mate and have 2 kids
you churn out 2 uggos

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Painting this as anti white is silly, looking to be offended. It was literally a single line from a single character, and she was an annoying bitch from her first appearance on screen, and consistently had a chip on her shoulder about race.

One of the themes here was actually reasonably well done (kids obsessed with the fantasy world on their devices), and they werent exactly subtle about it so I imagine not much elaboration on that point is needed. And the dead Teslas was funny, come on.

Best line of the movie has to be when fugly says swimmings too much of a hassle and "racist" Julia Roberts says "Why, because of your hair?"

Very middle of the road movie in terms of quality, but barely woke at all in any of the usual overt ways.

--

In hindsight the most dislikable thing about it was the ridiculous "everyone wants to fuck blacks" schtick. Literally every single post-pubescent white character on the show is portrayed as wanting to fuck the black characters.

Dad wants to fuck the fugly ghetto daughter, at least she says he does. Junior wants to fuck the fugly ghetto daughter. Mom actively tries to fuck the dad while her husband is right there, after never having shown any hint of marital problems before this point. How can they help themselves, after all, in the face of such irresistable sex magic?

Its the grossest and dumbest of the racial tropes. Bring back the magical negro trope, I say. We can suspend disbelief far enough to imagine for a moment that for some reason black people are magic. But this "everybody wants a piece of that black ass" schtick just strains credibility.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
"It's not racist"

Half the post is about racism.
I was pretty clear, but I've learned that sometimes you can't possibly be clear enough.

I didnt find it to be racist in the sense of "blaming the white man". This was basically a single line from the daughter who was a race baiter from her first moment on the show, so it didnt come across as the movie saying it, just one character.

I found it to be full of a ridiculous race-based trope. I'm not sure I'd even call it racism, honestly. Just literally as delusional as when Vannessa used to say he was a beautiful woman and that was his reality.

I mean, I was the one bitching about it, and even I didnt call it racist. Do you find it racist, the silly "everybody thinks blacks are hot" trope?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I was pretty clear, but I've learned that sometimes you can't possibly be clear enough.

I didnt find it to be racist in the sense of "blaming the white man". This was basically a single line from the daughter who was a race baiter from her first moment on the show, so it didnt come across as the movie saying it, just one character.

I found it to be full of a ridiculous race-based trope. I'm not sure I'd even call it racism, honestly. Just literally as delusional as when Vannessa used to say he was a beautiful woman and that was his reality.

I mean, I was the one bitching about it, and even I didnt call it racist. Do you find it racist, the silly "everybody thinks blacks are hot" trope?
You fucking tard do you even know what racism is? Just stop while you're behind.

"Racism is a form of prejudice that assumes that the members of racial categories have distinctive characteristics and that these differences result in some racial groups being inferior to others."

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Now can you explain to the class, in what way does the "everyone wants to fuck blacks" fit your definition?

Its fucking 2023 and there are still people that think copy pasting from an online dictionary is a valid form of discourse

Did you know that not every reply on an online forum has to be met with blind seething rage? You're like a ghetto dweller that reacts to every comment with "did he just disrepect me?! I better rage back EVEN HARDER so everyone knows what a badass I am"

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
This is a pretty humorous exchange taking place for a movie with an underlying theme of weak societal fabric and people being turned against each other to keep them occupied.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

Right, because that character just walked on-screen and inserted herself into the movie against the creators' will. Fucking hate when my movies are just minding their own business and some character just shows up spouting THE MESSAGE.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What'd I do this time?

Is it because of my digital blackface avatar?
Man, I guess my humor was too subtle.

Aldarion was asking someone to explain something to him, and since I recently read about your frustration with him claiming multiple things were obvious that weren't, I figured you might appreciate me telling him it was obvious and then not explaining shit. Clearly I failed!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I started this a few days ago and can see it's going to be a hard one to get through. I don't hate Ruth. She's young, she's got a chip on her shoulder, her dad is incredibly successful so she's probably always worried she's not authentically black and the sparks between her and Julia Roberts come across as genuine. Some of Roberts' dialogue is written so the audience inserts the word "black" in the minds when she pauses and that's pretty lazy. "I just don't trust them because they're.................strangers!" That kind of shit.

I hate the cinematography. The camera work is godawful. The two white kids are fucking horrendous. My big issue with the first hour of this is I'm just completely and utterly disinterested in the setup. There's a mysterious event, some people show up, I don't trust them, you should trust me, I don't trust you, ok I trust you, SWERVE, DOUBLE SWERVE. It's terrible. Knock at the Cabin, 10 Cloverfield Lane, It Comes at Night and Retreat are all recent movies with that kind of thing and I'm just done with it. This movie is 2 hours 22 minutes or something and we've spent a whole lot of it not doing much of anything. There are some individual scenes that I like and a few interesting visuals or ideas but they're sparse. After watching something really efficient like Talk to Me this is just so much faffing about. Son character jerking it to tatt'd up no ass no titties black girl was a weird decision but he's like 15.

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Now can you explain to the class, in what way does the "everyone wants to fuck blacks" fit your definition?
I don't have patience for morons/trolls like you, that's where the frustration comes from.

Do you not think the whole "everyone wants to fuck black people" might infer that another group are inferior, or else there wouldn't be such a preference? I don't even care, I think it's so retarded it's laughable, but for you to deny what they are (trying) to do is even more absurd.

You are a legit dumbfuck. And that's saying something, with the competition around these parts.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Assigned White 02.png

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I finished this up with like an hour left to go and the end was laugh out loud hilariously bad. I get all the one star/zero star reviews. At a fucking 140 minute runtime a whole lot of nothing happens to close things out in absolutely ridiculous fashion also deer. Many, many deer. I don't hate it but like I said before I'm just bored with basic framework of an unknown event occurring and "I don't trust you/you can trust me" dialogue padding the run time. If you took basically this exact movie and cut it down to 90 minutes it would have been a whole lot better.

• 2Like