Legend of Grimrock 2

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Firearms isn't too bad, but only for one weapon and it's only for like "oh shit I need to kill shit" moments. Damage is fairly low otherwise. Sadly, missile is also low, so mostly your options are to either throw bombs(don't need the throw skill for that either, just need to make bombs which you don't get many herbs for until later in the game) or get 2pt accuracy so you can melee from the back. That said I played with missiles and did fine, you really only need 2-3classes doing good damage. Alchemist only really need to hold herbs and run around. Get whatever for dmg, but if you don't use a rogue you might as well go dex dual wield daggers from the back, it does solid damage once you have good daggers.

Resist is fairly useless, it's good on a few key encounters but overall I'd rate it pretty low. Also the archmage set provides a lot of resist so your mage generally will end up with solid base resists without anything(I think I was capped in 2 resists from vit/willpower and other 2 at 60). This is especially true if you go Battle Mage with the additional resist. Insect with Chitin and/or Fast Metabolism would probably be better. Your mage can also generally cover 2 shield spells for elements, so you're only weak to a few things.

Get one mino in frontline, make sure to dump into dex and str instead of str and vit, you don't need the vit but you do need the dex. Will probably end up needing 1-2points in accuracy too. You'll get a bunch of bonus str from the skulls you collect(obviously get headhunter) and the higher starting str means you'll do quite a bit more damage that way. Other frontline lizard is fine, though you might as well Ratling for additional stats via mutations. Frontline resist isn't particularily useful as you might think since every elemental damage source is aoe and hits the entire party regardless, so the damage is scaled appropriately.

That's pretty much how I'd do the ultimate party based on my knowledge now, 1mino barb heavy weap heavy armor with a bit of accuracy, 1ratling barb heavy weap heavy armor with a bit of hp thing, 1 backline ratling alchemist light weapons dex with 2pt accuracy and 1 wizard or combat mage, fire/air with 1pt water and 3pt concentration for the various useful spells, insect most likely.

Finished the game, missed 3 secrets, but eh, that's not terrible. Great game.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
There's a Statistics selection in the escape menu that tells you X of Y secrets found.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Should I play the first one before trying this? I skipped it.
Doesn't matter which one you start with. There's really not any overlying story for either one; you're a prisoner in the first one trying to get out of the dungeon, and second one you're ship wrecked, and that's about it. The first one is all dungeon and linear progression, and the second is a split between outside world and dungeons, and is a lot more of an open world where you can more or less progress however you want. LoG1 was a great game, and LoG2 is an improvement in every way.

Been in the Crystal Mines for 6-8 hours now and have been completely stuck for 2 hours or so and can't figure out where to go. Do you need to find the meteor to progress in the dungeon, or does it just get you an optional piece of gear? I'm at a spot where there are 3 doors shut and I can't find any levers or keys to open them, but I've cleared everything and solved all the puzzles available other than the fallen stars anvil/meteor.

The one thing I do wish is that some of the puzzles were a little less cryptic. I don't think I could complete this game without looking up spoilers for a couple quests, because some clues don't give you much information.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Disp

Look around the 3 doors more carefully, and you will find a button hiding behind one of them, you have to be standing at a certain spot too hit the mark, I was stuck on it also for awhile.... till I started shooting randomly..

And Pyramid/Cemetary done, now just going thru everything that I'm missing before trying to find the 5th shrine.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Thanks, I'll try that. I do remember seeing that lever you're talking about and
just never thought to try clicking it because it's on the other side of the door.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thanks, I'll try that. I do remember seeing that lever you're talking about and
just never thought to try clicking it because it's on the other side of the door.
You don't click stuff through doors, doesn't work, but there's pressure plates and stuff that are not obvious in the area. I was stuck for a pretty long time in the mines too, on the upside, I found a bunch of secrets I had missed when I was looking how to progress.

Meteor forge is purely optional, just used to craft one of the top 3 HEAVY(yay more heavy weapons) endgame weapons.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
that button specifically you don't click it, you have to shoot it, wish they would have made it more clear for that one.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Hmm
rrr_img_79428.jpg

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I just started this and while it is awesome I actually got the urge to instead and want to go play Might and Magic Legacy; I had never finished it due to some other games coming online but it was purely awesome for my old school itch since that was about the only PC game I played when I was young other then EQ. I like abit of puzzle here and there but honestly I much more enjoy character progression and development etc. Not that this game doesn't have some good core components but its abit slower paced then I'd like since you have to look at every corner etc non-stop which gets abit old.

Anyways, highly recommend just from what I did play through (had like 4 restarts picking different classes) for anyone who remotely enjoys these types of games.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Found the pressure plate, thanks guys. That's pretty fucked up for opening a door to just progress the dungeon. You can barely see it.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
So is combat basically just walking backwards then right, then backwards, then right, hitting mobs as they move and never attack you? I was enjoying it but now I'm kind of underwhelmed. Aside from the bosses this seems to work on pretty much anything. It sucks too because I was enjoying the challenge and now I feel like the game is fundamentally broken(in the area with the frogs, maybe it gets harder further in).

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Question. I have found that I am able to wield two heavy weapons (skullcleave) but it seems to cooldowns on both are tied together? So it is pointless? I should just use a shield right? (they appear to be one handed heavy weapons I think?)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So is combat basically just walking backwards then right, then backwards, then right, hitting mobs as they move and never attack you? I was enjoying it but now I'm kind of underwhelmed. Aside from the bosses this seems to work on pretty much anything. It sucks too because I was enjoying the challenge and now I feel like the game is fundamentally broken(in the area with the frogs, maybe it gets harder further in).
As long as there's room to kite, yeah pretty much. The harder parts of the game throw a lot of shit at you at the same time though and you get surrounded and shit. Ranged mobs also force you to do some more maneuvering. The bog is probably one of the easier parts of the game. Catacombs or Pyramid is a ton harder to kite efficiently, you get hit by status ailment and quite often there's ambushes and shit with mobs coming from multiple sides with little room to kite. Also some mobs are too quick for that strategy. Frogs are basically one of the easier enemy in the game, they move slow and their special ability is only annoying if you facetank them so they're easy to handle.

Question. I have found that I am able to wield two heavy weapons (skullcleave) but it seems to cooldowns on both are tied together? So it is pointless? I should just use a shield right? (they appear to be one handed heavy weapons I think?)
You can put anything in either hands, but if you don't have the dual wield passive, using any hand puts both hands on cooldown. This is for example if you put a weapon in one hand and shurikens in the other or whatever, then you use whichever is better for the situation. But yeah mostly you put a shield in the other if you can't dual wield. Dualwield is a perk of Light weapons, so heavy is shield all the way(besides the point where you get 2H but don't have 5pt heavy yet).

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is why I never liked Grimrock 1 that much. Grimrock 2 improved most things over the original but I still vastly prefer the M&M X way of doing combat.

Caliane

This is why I never liked Grimrock 1 that much. Grimrock 2 improved most things over the original but I still vastly prefer the M&M X way of doing combat.
yeah. my preferred would be a bit of each.

I like the full turn based of M&M.
But I also like the front row, back row, left/right of Grimrock. as well as unique timers for each party member.

sad part here in Grimrock 2, the front line doesn't seem to be very tanky. I guess playing on hard is the reason for that. But blow through potions, and reloads far too often.

Nwodaz_sl

shitlord
sad part here in Grimrock 2, the front line doesn't seem to be very tanky. I guess playing on hard is the reason for that. But blow through potions, and reloads far too often.
At least on normal you eventually get to a point where the heavy armor guys in the front take 1 damage from most attacks when you are walking around the easier parts of the game. Very satisfying to just facetank stuff you used to run away from.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I ended up rerolling with a barb and fighter in the front row. Put all the initial points in armor to get it to 4/5 quickly and it got a lot better already, now both have a good set of heavy plate and a shield and they can tank most fights easily. Rogue and wiz in back line so still have to be careful if I get surrounded. The barb now has like 30 strength and the weapon from the pyramid end fight so his dps is through the roof. Crazy fight, took like 10 tries but worth it.

Problem I have now is I ran out of food. I used to go back to the first zone and kill some turtles but they seem to have stopped respawning. Is there another way to get food again?