Lockheed Martin puts out a Fusion Related Press Release

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Slide rules are good for knuckle slapping. Punishment and learning all in one.

Another(good)threadruined by tad, why again isn't he permabanned?
Another anti-slideruleite I see trying to shut down me speaking truth to power. Science thread is that way Buddy if you want derp talk about fusion -> By my count this is the third thread discussing the Lockheed press release.

@Selix No.

But using your analogy - calculators are like pushing a button to get the fake log-propane fireplace in your home burning. Slide rules are like going on a camping trip to the woods: learning how select dry wood and kindling, building a little log teepee and starting the fire with a safety match. One is easier, the other is more fun and teaches you a lot more about the nature of fire.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
You still haven't demonstrated how slide rules are essential to the understanding of mathematical concepts (they aren't)

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
Another anti-slideruleite I see trying to shut down me speaking truth to power. Science thread is that way Buddy if you want derp talk about fusion -> By my count this is the third thread discussing the Lockheed press release.

@Selix No.

But using your analogy - calculators are like pushing a button to get the fake log-propane fireplace in your home burning. Slide rules are like going on a camping trip to the woods: learning how select dry wood and kindling, building a little log teepee and starting the fire with a safety match. One is easier, the other is more fun and teaches you a lot more about the nature of fire.
Safety match is the graphing calculator of camping. Why dont you just use 2 rocks you lazy pos?

iannis

Musty Nester
I saw a dude start a campfire once by pissing on some kindling. I was amazed, and sort of stoned, and asked him what the secret was.

Late stage gonorrhea.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Thanks to Tad I just bought a slide ruler...

I do agree with him that the overuse of calculators, makes the brain weaker at algebra, the actual stuff we need on day to day tasks. I don't care about logs and calculus, but basic algebra you should be able to do in your brain in an instant, for example, adding numbers between 1 and 100, without a calculator.

Vitality

HUSTLE
So how soon until I can put a fusion reactor in my chest and don a metal suit that can fly and shoot plasma beams?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I saw a dude start a campfire once by pissing on some kindling. I was amazed, and sort of stoned, and asked him what the secret was.

Late stage gonorrhea.
More likely elemental sodium placed on the kindling.

Thanks to Tad I just bought a slide ruler...

I do agree with him that the overuse of calculators, makes the brain weaker atalgebra, the actual stuff we need on day to day tasks. I don't care aboutlogsand calculus, but basic algebra you should be able to do in your brain in an instant, for example, adding numbers between 1 and 100, without a calculator.
Good for you - hopefully a nice Versalog - unfortunately a lot of overinflated rulers for sale on ebay by shitty sellers who don't understand that no one is going to buy a slide rule with a broken cursor or in otherwise crappy condition.

And everyone should care about logarithms even for algebra.

Let's take TheBeagle's example here:
That's a good idea up until high school, but you really expect kids to do logs, exponents, long division,quadratic formula, etc....by long hand? So they could maybe get through 3 problems during a one hour test. Brilliant.
Let's say you want to solve a quadratic equation in less than the one hour you're given on your test and all you've got is your trusty slide rule. Fortunately for you the logarithmic super powers of your slide rule can help you solve that quadratic. From the Versalog manual:

Basic quadratic equation is of the form: x^2 + Ax + B = 0. Quadratics have two roots: -r1 and -r2. The properties of the two roots are such that r1*r2=B and r1+r2=A. For example the x^2+2x+1=0 has the form (x+1)(x+1)=0 and the -r1 and -r2 are both 1. r1*r2=1 and r1+r2=2.

To solve a quadratic with the slide rule you set the index* of C to the value of "B" on the D scale. This represents r1*r2 for any setting of the indicator for the D & CI scale (check this on one of the virtual slide rules with a CI/D scale. Set left index of C to 15 every combination of D&CI are factors of 15 (or 150/1500/Etc) - for example 2 on D is across from 7.5 on CI, 4 on D is across from 3.75).

Now move the hairline until you discover two numbers whose sum is equal to A - may take a minute or two and you have to do the addition in your head (oh noes!) But once you find those two numbers you have your quadratic roots.

Example from V2 book cause I'm being rationally lazy right now: x^2+10x+15=0. Set left index of C to 15 on D. Move hairline until CI+D=10. This occurs at 8.15 on CI and 1.84 on D - both are positive because A and B are positive. Roots are -8.15 and -1.84 (which is 9.99 within precision of a slide rule at that end of the slide)

So (a) no it won't take one hour to do a quadratic equation and (b) slide rules are infinitely cooler than scientific/graphing calculators.

*right or left depending on the value of B

Note: I am only recommending slide rules for 7-12th grades and early college to help students properly learn math. Despite khalid's assertion, no I don't think slide rules are coming back (unfortunately)...

rrr_img_79672.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tad please create an arithmetic thread and don't post your retarded opinions about slider rulers here. Also post what your career in mathematics involves.

Skanda I fight for justice.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
All this talk about Slider Rules and Virtual Sex has got my dick hard.

I profess I don't believe I've used one in my entire life, what was that thing in wood shop that you used for angles it lined up against your desk...a desk angle..meh.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
All this talk about Slider Rules and Virtual Sex has got my dick hard.

I profess I don't believe I've used one in my entire life, what was that thing in wood shop that you used for angles it lined up against your desk...a desk angle..meh.
a speed square

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Tad is right that math in the US is taught poorly, and he is right that its because they let the kids use calculators and software way too much before they learn even basic concepts, he is just wrong that spending 4 years teaching the kids how to use a slide rule before you take another 4 years to teach them software is the answer. So basically the disagreement is about the solution to the problem, not really something to ban a guy over even if he is like a dog with a bone sometimes posting about this shit.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I'm scared that my life might be severely lacking having never partook of this so called Slider Rule. Or is this the same hype train that made me go out and buy a Straight Razor, because that ultimately wasn't worth it?

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I learned to use slide rules way back in the day and frankly in the end they are just slow calculators. You have to do a few more steps rather than just punch in the numbers on a calculator, so you get to think of what you're doing during the whole process, but they don't do much in term of making you understand what the numbers actually mean if you just go thru the motion really.

Straight razors are no hype. While honestly the shave itself is nothing a mach3 cant match; I havnt bought a razor blade in 10 years and I shave daily, you cant argue with that.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Tad please create an arithmetic thread and don't post your retarded opinions about slider rulers here.
I'm just leading change: just out today.

The Slide Rule: A Computing Device That Put A Man On The Moon : NPR Ed : NPR

And this thread has already gone full slide rule.

I'm scared that my life might be severely lacking having never partook of this so called Slider Rule. Or is this the same hype train that made me go out and buy a Straight Razor, because that ultimately wasn't worth it?
You are indeed missing out. Listen to the soothing voice of NPR speaking to your soul: "The most amazing thing about slide rules is that you start to think about math in geographic terms." around 5:00.

@Lejina you learned wrong, slide rulers are faster than calculators for a number of operations. Until you get carpal tunnel of course...