Looking for help/ideas on laying out my new office

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So I'm about to lease an office space that is 21x31, and wide open at the moment. Landlord will build interior walls were needed. Exterior walls are set in stone, but I can add whatever I need in the interior. I'm thinking of just building 1 wall for my personal office, about 12 feet out from the back of the office space (so 21x12 office).

Initially the office will just be myself, but I will have a secretary hired within 6 months. No plans to expand to a 3rd person within the first few years, so just planning on space for 2 for now.

Here's my rough blueprint of the space, tell me what sucks and what I should do different(little 8x8 entry area isn't included in the main 21x31 measurement

(red lines are doors, yellow lines are windows. Entrance to office is bottom left red door)

This should be "roughly" to scale. Probably not perfect, but pretty close based on the size of my current office furniture

JYbQYdB.jpg

All furniture pictured and labeled is stuff I already own, but am open to adding additional items. Probably need a mini-fridge in my office. Maybe a couch on my empty office wall, who knows. Looking for ideas & thoughts.

Last edited:

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Revision #1 after advice from various sources

ANbpAsY.jpg

Shrunk office(which was kinda too big anyways, lot of empty space) to build a lockable 6x12 storage/file/computer equipment closet. Extended entry wall to create a more natural flow/waiting area towards the secretarys desk

Last edited:

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I'd have left the office the old size, then the storage room would be in line with where it is now but where you now have the coffee machine. Then stick a small table and chairs in your office. Assuming you talk to clients you wont always want to do that over your own desk (lots of reasons but including more open talk at a separate table, lack of space and having to keep the meeting desk clean 24/7 and if more than 2 people come you're all jammed together, and having to lock your pc when anyone is in the office so they cant read the screen). This way when the client comes in you stand up, greet them then walk together to the table rather than them coming in and you staying at your desk.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Are there any windows on the exterior walls? Any vents you might want to avoid positioning people under?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Are there any windows on the exterior walls? Any vents you might want to avoid positioning people under?

No exterior windows at all...and I didnt pay attention to the vents whatsoever, but that's a good idea. Need to check that out.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Another update...leaning towards this. Everything is exactly to scale. 1 box = 1 sq ft

Office6small.jpg

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Needs a mini fridge and microwave next to desk. Stocked with mtn dew and pizza rolls

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My fast food budget is about to tighten up... my bank will probably think I'm dead without all those charges coming through every week

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Opening your own brokerage? Fantastic!

I was going to say you will want that second room for files/lunch etc..but looks like you have it added.

Do you need a bathroom? or will you use the gas station across the street?

• 1Like

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Bathroom is in the hall right outside the office...share it with 1 other office which from what I can tell is only like 2-3 people

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Another update...leaning towards this. Everything is exactly to scale. 1 box = 1 sq ft

View attachment 92376

If you want plants that will survive in an office space I would highly recommend the following.

1. Spider plants. Easy to care for and clean the air.
pl2000027236_card_lg.jpg

2. Snake plant. Easy to care for, striking foliage as well as air purifier.
Snake-Plant.jpg

3. Finally a zz plant would make an excellent candidate for your office space. They are extremely drought tolerant (they won't die if you go on vacation and forget to water it) and prefer lower levels of light.
1f05a9ab9d44180b70107b53e6c32b14.jpg

There are a large variety of plants that are suited to live in offices. If none of the above catch your fancy take a look here ->

Best Office Plants: Good Plants For The Office Environment - Gardening Know How

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Why have the bookcase crosswise across the corner? Just put it against the wall. Takes a lot of space diagonally like that.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Why have the bookcase crosswise across the corner? Just put it against the wall. Takes a lot of space diagonally like that.
It seems like he has an excess of space, so taking up more of it inefficiently won't matter, as well, he can use the book case as a display case as well. The diagonal placement will draw people to look at it when they come in. Not sure where the office is located at, but if it's in a location or area where it's pretty cramped, having extra space can be on of those small displays of excess.

• 1Like

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I honestly have more space than I have furniture to fill it, so just trying to avoid too many large, wide-open spaces that look awkward.

Thanks for the plant recommendations Mr_Bungle

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users