Losing your Job

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Update: Got the job at Republic. The rural carrier job was hot garbage leading to nothing else really. Alls well that ends well but goddamn the post office really runs you around to offer you almost nothing. Roll off dumpsters @ SDI here I come.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Working 8 hours a day and commuting for 2 hours a day has seriously cut into my shitposting time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
How do you choose a new career?

I'm only 35, and I have 20 years experience working with my family business. That business was Sheet Metal Fabrication, where I slowly grew from the kid sweeping the floor up to a required position needed for part production, up to sales, then eventually the Vice President of the company. Granted, this position was in title only. I still had the same "power" over the company that I always had, but it gave me more leverage when making deals with other providers on the company behalf.

That changed last June when I decided to leave the company and move with my family from Pennsylvania to Hawaii. We love it out here. I am employed, but unhappy. I took a major pay cut, which was to be expected, but I really resent the manager of my company. This business is another small family business, and my job consists of retail sales as well as handling the warehouse to ease everyone elses job. I do well at it, but I'm tired of my manager not telling the truth about me, and having his lies bite me in the ass. An example of which happened today. The manager suddenly flipped my work schedule from Monday-Friday to Monday-Thursday + Saturday. I agreed to be available "most" Saturdays, but not all. He accepted that. This Saturday was going to be an agreed upon off day. I showed up to work this morning after an hour in traffic and began work, getting the warehouse organized. When the manager showed up, some 45 minutes later, he told me to go home. Today is an "off day" because I now work every Saturday, and they would not pay me for the time I worked today.

This is flat out unacceptable, and I'm looking for a change of jobs.

This place is currently just a "job" as opposed to a career. I've never planned staying there long term. However, this made me think. How do you even decide upon a career? What are some first steps to take? I'm a little perplexed, and would love any information you guys can provide.

PS - I'm sorry about the complaining paragraph earlier. This just happened, and I wanted to clear my head.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
This thread is half complaining and that's alright--jobs are by design frustrating, the bastards. I've never really had an in anywhere and never had much of a path. Wish I could answer your question better but I'm stuck on CDL style jobs unless I want to move or I can retrain to something else. Got some student debt and by the time I finish paying it off it won't be worthwhile to do the college boogie anywhere else. Salright, driving pays more than most and is pretty chill.

I'd imagine it's pretty career specific though yeah? General office / management stuff is pretty much dead unless you've got an in. I imagine this is even harder in Hawaii. I hear you can sell crystal pretty well out there?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Haha, you're not kidding. I have a friend that's a police officer. He said the #1 crime out here is crystal. #2 is actually child trafficking. That's on the DL though, because the politicians don't want it to be known because Hawaii is a state that is 100% dependent upon tourists, which is what the child trafficking involves.

Tourists come to visit and some don't pay attention to their kids. Not children, but 12-16 range. People on the street introduce the kids to drugs as something to pass the time, then lure them back to a house or something. Drug dealers will "hold" the ID's/Passports of these kids, then not allow them to leave. Over a week or two, the kid doesn't realize that having their ID stolen doesn't mean they can't leave, so they stay. Then the kids get sold off to wealthy people in other countries.

It's pretty fucked up, but it happens a lot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
How do you choose a new career?

I'm only 35, and I have 20 years experience working with my family business. That business was Sheet Metal Fabrication, where I slowly grew from the kid sweeping the floor up to a required position needed for part production, up to sales, then eventually the Vice President of the company. Granted, this position was in title only. I still had the same "power" over the company that I always had, but it gave me more leverage when making deals with other providers on the company behalf.

That changed last June when I decided to leave the company and move with my family from Pennsylvania to Hawaii. We love it out here. I am employed, but unhappy. I took a major pay cut, which was to be expected, but I really resent the manager of my company. This business is another small family business, and my job consists of retail sales as well as handling the warehouse to ease everyone elses job. I do well at it, but I'm tired of my manager not telling the truth about me, and having his lies bite me in the ass. An example of which happened today. The manager suddenly flipped my work schedule from Monday-Friday to Monday-Thursday + Saturday. I agreed to be available "most" Saturdays, but not all. He accepted that. This Saturday was going to be an agreed upon off day. I showed up to work this morning after an hour in traffic and began work, getting the warehouse organized. When the manager showed up, some 45 minutes later, he told me to go home. Today is an "off day" because I now work every Saturday, and they would not pay me for the time I worked today.

This is flat out unacceptable, and I'm looking for a change of jobs.

This place is currently just a "job" as opposed to a career. I've never planned staying there long term. However, this made me think. How do you even decide upon a career? What are some first steps to take? I'm a little perplexed, and would love any information you guys can provide.

PS - I'm sorry about the complaining paragraph earlier. This just happened, and I wanted to clear my head.
What do you like doing? In the short term, I'd get a new job anyway, even if it isn't your passion, because fuck that guy. But 35 is young, you have plenty of time to pickup a new career.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It's a strange question. I've never really thought about what I "like" doing, because I've always had my life pre-planned out by my father who owns the family business. I was eventually going to take over when he died, but then we moved and it changed everything.

I realize that I really like dealing with people. I'm a natural sales person when it comes to dealing with the public, much less so when dealing between companies. I do a good job of appealing to a persons emotions, so they trust me. However, my same attitude was much less effective when trying to sell services to another company. Mainly because I'm dealing with purchasing agents that ONLY care about price and nothing else, but I really do well at showing off the value of an item and appealing to peoples sense of "oh, I want that!"

Plus, it's also nice having people happy to deal with, as opposed to other companies where people are always guarded and rarely smile. I come up to every one of my customers with a big smile. This isn't even a choice, I just smile a lot.

Anyway, I also like building things. I've thought about getting a job doing quoting for construction companies. I'm really good at taking peoples ideas and putting my own spin on them and making them really great. I loved doing that in my past life, even if I wasn't always thrilled with doing the actual work. But I sure like thinking about ways to solve problems.

Am I just babbling now? In short, I have no idea what I want to do. It would almost be easier if someone just said "Hey, you should sell cars!" or some shit. But I don't know.
Ultimately, I would like to make a "nice" living. 60k a year would be reasonable. I would also like to not be chained to a desk. I like going out and seeing people. I really do enjoy dealing with the "end user" as opposed to other corporations.

• 1Like

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
What do you like doing? In the short term, I'd get a new job anyway, even if it isn't your passion, because fuck that guy. But 35 is young, you have plenty of time to pickup a new career.

You say that, but eh... How does one get started on doing techy shit in general? I've seen lots of places that need DBAs (or lower-tier people) and VMware guys but I'm not super experienced with either. Done some mysql and some linux vm's but nothing on a commercial scale.

edit: I should also point out that I'm from rural northeast Indiana, near Fort Wayne, and there just is a major lack of anything out here involving those skills. It's mostly dying industry and services that populations anywhere need. I figure I'll eventually have to move and that's alright but it's hard to just talk to companies and people working for them to see how their career paths began. Lots of them began with tech degrees but not all of them--but people getting these jobs without degrees seems to be more difficult as the fields get more competitive. Info-sec sounds really fun but that's definitely a degreed thing these days.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's a strange question. I've never really thought about what I "like" doing, because I've always had my life pre-planned out by my father who owns the family business.

You spent 20 years working in/running a sheet metal shop? Why not start a sheet metal shop? Start small and do what you can do in your garage (or however it works) in your spare time until you're making enough to buy you out of your day job. Just because you moved doesn't mean you need to throw away 20 years of skills and knowledge to start from scratch.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Xarp, if you aren't changing careers, why bail on the good paying family job? If you haven't burned those bridges, tell your new boss you are M-F or you're gone.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Xarp, if you aren't changing careers, why bail on the good paying family job? If you haven't burned those bridges, tell your new boss you are M-F or you're gone.

In his OP, the old business is basically gone. They moved from PA to HI and I'm assuming closed up shop when they left.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You say that, but eh... How does one get started on doing techy shit in general? I've seen lots of places that need DBAs (or lower-tier people) and VMware guys but I'm not super experienced with either. Done some mysql and some linux vm's but nothing on a commercial scale.

edit: I should also point out that I'm from rural northeast Indiana, near Fort Wayne, and there just is a major lack of anything out here involving those skills. It's mostly dying industry and services that populations anywhere need. I figure I'll eventually have to move and that's alright but it's hard to just talk to companies and people working for them to see how their career paths began. Lots of them began with tech degrees but not all of them--but people getting these jobs without degrees seems to be more difficult as the fields get more competitive. Info-sec sounds really fun but that's definitely a degreed thing these days.
Dude, hardly any of the people I know in infosec have degrees. You could get a job at a SOC just based on enthusiasm. They're looking for people who have basic IT skills, enthusiasm, and are self-motivated. And SOC work is good work, you can learn a ton. I know it sounds like I'm downplaying it, but I'm really not. These places are hurting for people so badly that many are more than willing to train people who show the right drive.

And if not, certs get shit on in IT a lot, but certs get you in the door. Save up, study your ass off, pass Security+, get a SOC job.

There's a lot of remote work now, too, if you don't want to relocate.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My old business still exists in Pennsylvania. My father owns it. I was merely the vice-president (in title only). I mainly did sales, though.

I live in Hawaii, though. After 20 years doing, sheet metal, I realized it wasn't a passion. And that I didn't even know what my passion actually was. This my introduction to this thread.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
How likely are you to leave cleared work for financial industry for remote?

Last edited: