Making a Murderer (Netflix) - New info

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I wish they would have shown voir dire in the doc. Does anyone have the trial transcript and can tell me if voir dire is in there?

How did they qualify jurors that had seen all of the pretrial publicity?

If they heard about the confession (which literally every one of them did) and the prosecution didn't present that evidence, then the jury had evidence not admitted at trial.

How did they not just bust panel after panel of jurors dismissing them for cause?
Eh, c'mon Cad. You're being generous, that doesn't fit with the theme of this forum. You're supposed to be righteously unyielding. Exponentially so when you have professional expertise on the subject matter.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Eh, c'mon Cad. You're being generous, that doesn't fit with the theme of this forum. You're supposed to be righteously unyielding. Exponentially so when you have professional expertise on the subject matter.
I guess it's less surprising since in my first criminal trial ever when my guy was clearly not guilty the detectives lied on the stand, the prosecutor committed misconduct by ignoring the judges orders, and they refused a plea bargain other than a full plea, then after we got the not guilty (thank you Dallas jurors) the prosecutor came and tried to shake my hand and play nice. I was like. I gotta go.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I guess it's less surprising since in my first criminal trial ever when my guy was clearly not guilty the detectives lied on the stand, the prosecutor committed misconduct by ignoring the judges orders, and they refused a plea bargain other than a full plea, then after we got the not guilty (thank you Dallas jurors) the prosecutor came and tried to shake my hand and play nice. I was like. I gotta go.
And I know the Detectives lied on the stand because they claimed the complaining witnesses had told them X and Y (which gave my guy intent) and when those witnesses were recalled to the stand with my associate watching them out in the hallway to prevent the DA from talking to them, they said didn't say X and Y and don't know where that came from.

Detectives made up evidence to supply intent.

Then prosecutor brought up a prior conviction on my guy when the judge had already ruled she couldn't, she claimed to have forgotten that after we asked for a mistrial, and the judge said ok you can ask 1 question about it then move on, and don't say anything about the circumstances. Which was bullshit, because now we have to explain it. But she goes up and says, first question after the judge says don't say anything about the circumstances, "weren't you charged in 2005 with armed robbery of a convenience store?"

Judge didn't do shit either. I think he knew we were going to get the NG so he didn't want to re-do the trial. It was a total shit-show. He should have banned her from working in his courtroom. I considered lodging a complaint with the state bar but my colleagues advised me against it they said this was common for Dallas County prosecutors.

khalid

Unelected Mod
And I know the Detectives lied on the stand because they claimed the complaining witnesses had told them X and Y (which gave my guy intent) and when those witnesses were recalled to the stand with my associate watching them out in the hallway to prevent the DA from talking to them, they said didn't say X and Y and don't know where that came from.

Detectives made up evidence to supply intent.

Then prosecutor brought up a prior conviction on my guy when the judge had already ruled she couldn't, she claimed to have forgotten that after we asked for a mistrial, and the judge said ok you can ask 1 question about it then move on, and don't say anything about the circumstances. Which was bullshit, because now we have to explain it. But she goes up and says, first question after the judge says don't say anything about the circumstances, "weren't you charged in 2005 with armed robbery of a convenience store?"

Judge didn't do shit either. I think he knew we were going to get the NG so he didn't want to re-do the trial. It was a total shit-show. He should have banned her from working in his courtroom. I considered lodging a complaint with the state bar but my colleagues advised me against it they said this was common for Dallas County prosecutors.
Well, that just further lowered my faith in the justice system. I didn't think it had much further it could go either.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
That was a pretty weak dateline, especially considering they've allegedly been following the story for 10 years and had new info/evidence. There was nothing new except an expert not affiliated with the case nor the crime lab who claims every single blood vial ever taken has a hole in the top. At this point most articles/shows just seem to be efforts to cash in on the craze and are adding nothing at all new. Makes you realize 10 episodes was far more appropriate to cover this story than an hour.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That was a pretty weak dateline, especially considering they've allegedly been following the story for 10 years and had new info/evidence. There was nothing new except an expert not affiliated with the case nor the crime lab who claims every single blood vial ever taken has a hole in the top. At this point most articles/shows just seem to be efforts to cash in on the craze and are adding nothing at all new. Makes you realize 10 episodes was far more appropriate to cover this story than an hour.
eah it was more of "whats all this hoopla about this here making a murderer show" than "lets get to the bottom of this and do our own investigating to back all these claims". nah, thats too much work, we will get big ratings by just mentioning that we are running this report. we can talk to Buting then ask the fat fuck prosecutor his opinion, maybe get some knob jockey who works for the county some easy questions while he is outside on his lunch break and oh i got a buddy who is a lab tech, but really cant speak for any of this because he doesnt have access to any of the evidence what he thinks of it all. i think they ran some old footage of an interview with the rape victim and it looks like they surprised the zellner chick as she was leaving her office to get a soundbite from her about "new evidence" . phew that was a lot of work, lets call it a day.
no attempts to talk to avery, brendan or either of their moms about it. not even going around town to question the locals on what they think of the case or the police or the avery family. what do ya think we are 60 minutes?

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Unsure if anyone saw this, but here's an article from the New Yorker.

Dead Certainty

I think it's really kind of crazy how people kind of get into this whole, "I don't want to say someone is guilty or not, but let me tell you why MAM was wrong."

The writer does tend to point the atrocities of the trial, but then continues on and says shit along the lines of, "The producers were so biased they ignored some facts and that made it near impossible to form a timeline of the murder."

I said before that the creators were likely biased, but not so much in a "Avery is innocent" but in a "This trial is a god damn train wreck, and innocent or not, he should not have been found guilty with the evidence presented at trial."

There was no real timeline or real evidence into what actually happened; no one provided anything hardcore, and the crazy and impossible timeline they did assert was rubbish.

We don't need to prove a different timeline, implicate a new party, or explain how she died in order to show that it was a miscarriage of justice. That was the point of the doc. If you came out of that thinking that Avery was innocent, well...that's probably more emotional, but the logical side of you should have at least gone, "The case presented in no way shows that Avery is guilty. There are coincidences, sure, but every major thing that "cemented" the case had doubt."

It's also interesting in that she mentions how things like the crazy phone calls were brought up, then never mentioned again. Yea, because the prosecution never mentions them again, they ignore all of that evidence, and continue on their Avery crusade.

I assume that article is just click bait, but that's just about every article on that show. It's like people don't get it.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I assume that article is just click bait, but that's just about every article on that show. It's like people don't get it.
Most people don't understand the legal system, reporters and jurors included. Indeed, people really don't get it.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I used the word removed in the past to talk about the battery and I'm pretty sure I was mistaken. The battery was disconnected, not removed.

I think his DNA on the hood latch is the biggest damning piece of evidence to him having actually interacted with the car, but you can't even give any credibility to that given the potential cross contamination.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i was hoping this was an actual update to the case, nope, just rehash of old stuff that was discussed to death,

-rustled

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I was just reading through the thread(haven't watched the documentary yet) and saw some confusion about the battery, so just wanted to chime in with some experience out of a salvage yard.

Then again if it was simply disconnected then it's back to not making much sense(unless someone was going to remove it and just got interrupted?), it being removed least makes more sense in the context than being disconnected.
The battery being removed by itself isn't really the issue. It's that the battery was supposedly removed while in his garage, then put back in and driven to the salvage yard. No idea why he would take the battery out just to put it back in, but that's required to make the story consistent for the prosecution

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Awesome. Regardless of views on SA innocence or guilt, I think everyone can agree that Brendan was railroaded and they coerced a borderline retard. He goes free if the state doesnt retry him, and without his confession, their only evidence, I dont see how they can.

Wonder how this affects SA, I know Brendans confession was thrown out at his trial, but so much of the case against SA was built around info from that confession.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
tumblr_n6zdmspPiE1skh0gdo1_400.gif

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't you get it, its the ultimate ruse cruise. Second he gets out he's going Hannibal Lecture levels of Machiavellian machinations on the cops that put him away, he's been in the criminal hyperbolic time chamber. I'm talking Max Cady mixed with HAL9000.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Awesome. Regardless of views on SA innocence or guilt, I think everyone can agree that Brendan was railroaded and they coerced a borderline retard. He goes free if the state doesnt retry him, and without his confession, their only evidence, I dont see how they can.

Wonder how this affects SA, I know Brendans confession was thrown out at his trial, but so much of the case against SA was built around info from that confession.

What? Avery's case was a completely different version of events that wasn't compatible with the story they used to convict Brendan.

That's one of the big reasons the entire thing was horseshit.