Manor lords

Caliane

This has a temporary demo on steam some may wish to check out. through the 10th.

(dev makes a joke about a demo for an EA game in the opening menu.)

Right now, its just an early town building demo. Pretty solid opening however.

This city builder will stand out in the future, due to its proposed massive battles. massive RTS battles with formations, etc.

(same publisher, as against the storm, as that was just mentioned too.)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just watched a video on this, looks pretty crazy in scope.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hand crafted by a solo developer, it utilizes the power of Unreal Engine to give the RTS/Builder genre a fresh spin.

I love that Unreal (Which I spend a lot of time developing in) makes it feasible for a solo dev to just yeet together a nice looking game. Premise looks similar to Kenshi, which I absolutely loved. Kenshi 2 is also in Unreal. Kenshi was in Ogre, which I have had the displeasure of developing in for a few years.

Makes you wonder what a game like Bannerlord could be if they weren't spending so much $$$ trying to roll their own engine.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I love that Unreal (Which I spend a lot of time developing in) makes it feasible for a solo dev to just yeet together a nice looking game. Premise looks similar to Kenshi, which I absolutely loved. Kenshi 2 is also in Unreal. Kenshi was in Ogre, which I have had the displeasure of developing in for a few years.

Makes you wonder what a game like Bannerlord could be if they weren't spending so much $$$ trying to roll their own engine.
You have a demo of your shit?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
What kind of racist white nationalist game is this? Where's the diversity? I was super triggered seeing a huge wall of white males.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 4 users

Goonsquad Officer
What kind of racist white nationalist game is this? Where's the diversity? I was super triggered seeing a huge wall of white males.
they could be eastern europeans. some of those count as people of color you know.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I wonder how far up the tech tree child soldier, mosquito burger are.

lol tech tree

There isn't one, you just play until another civilization encounters you, and you're at the mercy of what they're willing to give you

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
lol tech tree

There isn't one, you just play until another civilization encounters you, and you're at the mercy of what they're willing to give you
1664998247213.png

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole

This could be me missing some context, but I thought you were heavily into robotics/ai/machine learning vs. game engine development toolset development. Just curious if you swapped over to game dev vs. whatever you were in when it was more robotics based.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What's more is that, if you have a house, the wife is usually tending the garden (for extra food) while the man is off working as whatever.

I love the irregular plots aesthetic, and the realistic use of oxen as transport for wood and heavy stuff.

• 3Like

Caliane

I lost alot of people at first having a hard time with the work assignments.

the "enable" idle workers button is super unintuitive. I have no idea which one is active still... is it on or off when its yellow?

A house=1 family. 1 family is the numbers up top on the right, and you assign families to work. But families consist of multiple people. so when you click workers, you might see 7 families, but 36 workers.

I found private plots for chickens/goats for feed year round super useful.
But I also fucked up farming for a while, having a hard time getting the work system to work.

the irregular farms is really great.
Road and pathing system is great too.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When you set out houses make sure the plot is large enough, it will have a large + (plus) sign. This indicates you can build a garden on the plot. Super helpful, would recommend.

If you run the demo and don't get a place that has wild game or good flax fertility, reroll the map. Wild game is the best resource for the early game, as it gives year round meat and pelts. Pelts can be fashioned into clothing or sold to traders for a profit, allowing you to buy chickens or goats for the family gardens (winter food).

Once you get to farming, you start raking in the food. Expect a population boom but try to go slow, as there seems to be a chokepoint in the grain-flour-bread production line. My last settlement was drowning in grain and flour and I had two communal bakeries, each with three bakers, trying to feed the whole dang community.

I also had two large granaries that were overflowing with grain/flour. I had six runners on each but they couldn't move the stuff in time.

The Agricultural revolution was legit my dudes.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played around with the farming last night and managed to get a settlement with 52 families and 20 months of food supplies. Needed 6 full time woodcutters just to supply the town with enough firewood.

I had six medium fields that required 4 workers. Crop rotation is no joke. Two fields for barley, two for flax and two for emmet. One of the two of each will be fallow every year to ensure the soil doesn't deplete.

One guy working on the malthouse, one on the brewery, one on the tavern. You'll supply the whole place with beer.

One weaver and you've got linen.

Now for the emmet. I had one windmill (with one or two workers) and two communal bakeries (three workers each).

With the above ratio I was putting a dent in the wheat, but still had it coming in and just couldn't get rid of it.

Worse thing was the granaries. I had 3 big granaries in the town (each with 2 workers) and that managed to be enough to hold all the food.

I also had chickens or goats on every house. No problem with food whatsoever.

I built the bailey, the manor, the tax office and a garrison tower in the center of my settlement, but at that point I had surplus food and surplus labor, so I didn't have anything else to do. I guess that's when you start conquering territories around yourself, to found new settlements, but that's locked in the demo.

Good game. Would recommend. Only thing is religion doesn't seem to play a huge role which is weird seeing as it is medieval times, but maybe that is in the future.

• 3Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Add mounted combat ala bannerlord and I'm in. If it's just strategy with limited combat mechanics it's hard for me to be excited about it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Add mounted combat ala bannerlord and I'm in. If it's just strategy with limited combat mechanics it's hard for me to be excited about it.
tldr

"coming to pc game pass"
April 26th 2024

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This looks awesome to me. Just my jam. You can keep your bottomless depth paradox games that take 2 years to learn.

• 1Like

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Been watching this for a long time, on their Discord and such. I learned about it a few years ago when Bannerlord was in EA and sucking. 3 years later and Bannerlord has barely improved but this is ready. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

• 1Like