Publisher: Slitherine Ltd.​
Release Date: December 13, 2022​
f02d04c03874b2f6f525f6f174cfbbae38888c55.jpg

0f05c24d052d395518e1ad147964ba08b21feaf9.png

39f305bdc0aeda9c275ca041d3b6e8c94a3633ea.png

e606bdca1d83349421be498770681be633feed4d.png

First press build (first streamer linked by the dev in latest update):
He switches to the original, for a comparison at around the 27 min mark.​
If you want more game play than the above video she does a decent job, while keeping it short:​
There are other Lets Plays out there, that are hours long, if you want even more gameplay videos.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Original Master of Magic is on steam, now that Slitherine bought the IP:

They hired a guy that made a major mod for the original, and he keeps updating the mod as a DLC:

Casters of Magic mod/DLC adds a decent amount of things and also makes the game more difficult. I would recommend.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I hope this is done right, one of my favorite games ever. I still play it sometimes, even bought the floppy discs and manual 5-6 years ago just to have them again.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
this is good news, hope it meets expectations

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
There's a "in the spirit of" type game called deity empires i've been getting into this last month, it's like MoM with more in-depth research, hope this is good

Last edited:

Burns

There's a "in the spirit of" type game called deity empires i've been getting into this last month, it's like MoM with more in-depth research, hope this is good
There have been a bunch of people who tried to update the Master of Magic formula, but they mostly fell short in one way or another. Not bad games, per se, just never captured the same magic.

I was never able to get into Deity Empires that much, but I bought it while it was still in EA and only played a few games at that time. Last I looked, they just kinda gave up development verses all the stuff they said they had planned.

Instead, at that time, I went back to playing 20+ games of MoM. At the beginning of this year I tried that Caster of Magic mod and ended up clocking a decent chunk of time playing it, as well.

More recently I found out that someone made a huge mod for Warlock 2: The Exiled, so I loaded it up and played it for a while over the summer. Renaissance Mod on steam

The Age of Wonders line is still my favorite Master of Magic inspired game, but I have a difficult time getting much replayability out of it. I have put hundreds of hours into Dominions 3/5 and Fallen Enchantress, but none of them felt as good as playing through the AoW campaigns for the first time.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
There have been a bunch of people who tried to update the Master of Magic formula, but they mostly fell short in one way or another. Not bad games, per se, just never captured the same magic.

I was never able to get into Deity Empires that much, but I bought it while it was still in EA and only played a few games at that time. Last I looked, they just kinda gave up development verses all the stuff they said they had planned.

Instead, at that time, I went back to playing 20+ games of MoM. At the beginning of this year I tried that Caster of Magic mod and ended up clocking a decent chunk of time playing it, as well.

More recently I found out that someone made a huge mod for Warlock 2: The Exiled, so I loaded it up and played it for a while over the summer. Renaissance Mod on steam

The Age of Wonders line is still my favorite Master of Magic inspired game, but I have a difficult time getting much replayability out of it. I have put hundreds of hours into Dominions 3/5 and Fallen Enchantress, but neither of them felt as good as playing through the AoW campaigns for the first time.

There's things to like about it the dungeon mechanic for example, I like this review.

If you play with the default settings, it might be fun at first, but you will soon spot it's glaring weaknesses. Diplomacy is practically non-existent, and the AI is useless. Once you know what you're doing, you can typically just win.

On the other hand, if you crank up the difficulty, with a larger world, higher camp spawn rates and higher enemy difficulty, the game comes into its own. The real challenge to the game is in the dungeons. How deep can you go and live to tell the tale? You've cleared up to level 6 - but you've used a lot of your mana protecting your units to get there. Dare you descend one more level for greater treasure? Or will it kill your whole party, erasing all your hard work?

Burns

There's things to like about it the dungeon mechanic for example, I like this review.
I'll have to give that a try then. I don't even remember the dudgeon mechanic, I just remembered the AI being really bad.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I'll have to give that a try then. I don't even remember the dudgeon mechanic, I just remembered the AI being really bad.

Deity Empires has shit-tier graphics, it's true, but it is *much* deeper than it looks at first glance. One the best MoM-likes IMO, well worth a try if you are into that kind of genre. Or just have an obsessive compulsive need to min-max the gear and builds of entire armies of units.

Enemy empire AI isn't great, but I tended to play it more like diablo than civilization, so not needing to focus on intense city micromanagement was a plus in that respect. Your mileage may vary depending on which elements you like.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This was a little before my time and I never got around to playing it.

Looking forward to this remake.

Burns

This was released this week.

Reviews are mixed. Many negative reviews were about the $40 price for a 90s game with upgraded graphics, sound, and some balancing changes. The positive reviews say that it is just like the 90s base game.

Don't have time to play it atm. Maybe after the holidays.

Steam link again:

• 1Like