Mental Exercise: Games where the plot is primarily exposed via found recordings.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I thought it would be fun to come up with a list of games where the plot is primarily communicated to the player by audio recordings they come across.

The first one I ever remember playing was System Shock.

Obviously you have Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite.
SOMA
Horizon Zero Dawn
Most of the Deus Ex games?
A lot of Mass Effect missions work like this, either discovered recordings or interacting ancient VIs, but I wouldn't say it's the dominant form of exposition by any means.

I'm sure there's dozens more. I don't play a lot of horror games so I'm sure that's a trope common in those types of games.

Do people feel like this is a good plot device? It's used so often that it must be well-liked by a good number of players. This seems like an entire subgenre by itself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Fallout 76 / all Fallout games in general to a certain extent

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
control
Prey (new one)
Alan Wake
Quantum Break if 20 min videos count
Deadspace? dont remember tbh
Bioshock?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
System Shock 1 and 2. Bioshock's audiologs where a carbon copy of System Shock's.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, you can put Path of Exile in that I think. A lot of the lore in the world is exposed through notes/etc you come across, such as the lore of lab and such.

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I just finished The Talos Principle and its infested with that. Its a good Portal-esque first person puzzle game and you get a lot of information through terminals that have emails and recordings.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I just finished The Talos Principle and its infested with that. Its a good Portal-esque first person puzzle game and you get a lot of information through terminals that have emails and recordings.
Oh yeah, Portal, particularly Portal 2. Something about lemons...

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
rem.PNG

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, you can put Path of Exile in that I think. A lot of the lore in the world is exposed through notes/etc you come across, such as the lore of lab and such.
Grim Dawn has a ton of notes for lore too. No audio recording though.

Only one I can think of at the moment that hasn’t been mentioned is The Division. They’re audio/visual recordings of memories/events.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Not recordings, per se, but all of Journey's backstory is conveyed through murals scattered across the levels.

Goonsquad Officer
The dark souls story was basically peaced together by reading item descriptions heh

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Division 1 and Division 2. The audio-recordings and 'reconstructions' carry heavy exposition load.

• 1Like