Metro: Last Light

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
Didn't see a thread for this.

Sequel to Metro 2033.

Started playing it yesterday but not far enough in to give a fair review of it.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
The game's not very good and even worse than Metro 2033 from a technical perspective, but i guess that has to be excused if Pavel had to freeze his balls off while making the game. Now 50 dollars please, show must go on.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I think the lesson here is, "Don't make games in the Ukraine." In any case, great read. Pretty incredible they could get anything done in those conditions.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I think it's a pretty fun game. It looks really good visually, the music can be really great at times, and the sound direction has genuinely creeped me out a few times. Sneaking around is fun although a bit too convenient at times, like a soldier's helmet lights going out when you knock them out or kill them.

My only gripe atm is that the pacing could be a little bit more even.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
even worse than Metro 2033 from a technical perspective
Unsure what you mean by this... The engine used for Metro 2033 was considered on par with CryEngine 2 in terms of image quality and being able to stress even the best hardware to its limits, and has been used as one of the primary PC gaming benchmarks since the game's release.

That said, I am trying Last Light out on my PS3 before I decide whether or not to buy the PC version, so I can't comment on how the new engine runs yet.

Game lasts 10 hours. Literally the biggest waste of 59.99 in terms of games I've seen since the BF3 DLCs.

This is on my top 3 all time biggest gaming disappointments list.

Metro 2033 was short, but it was Indie. This was a sponsored sequel and they motherfucked it up. Do not buy 0/10, no game should last 10 hours and cost more than $10.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
lol guess you haven't played many first person shooters, huh?
More like the majority of games in the past 5 years. Tomb Raider was a good game, but it lasted like 12-15 hours depending on how you played.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
BF3 single player campaign is like 6 hours long and Metro: Last Light has no multiplayer component, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. You are comparing apples to oranges.

BF3 single player campaign is like 6 hours long and Metro: Last Light has no multiplayer component, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. You are comparing apples to oranges.
Am i? Because if Apples = $59.99, Metro and BF3 both cost Apples. One has playability beyond it's 10 or less hours of campaign gameplay.

Not to be rude, and I really am not whatsoever trying to be a dickhead - but it's kind of a sucker mentality to believe sixty dollars was well spent on 10 hours of good, but not great gameplay.

I bought Civilization 5 for $2.99 and have almost 300 hours in.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
My main point is that your expectations are unrealistic. You had no reason at all to believe that a first person shooter game with no multiplayer component would last more than 10 hours.

My main point is that your expectations are unrealistic. You had no reason at all to believe that a first person shooter game with no multiplayer component would last more than 10 hours.
right but i did expect they'd charge $29.99 since they replicated their efforts on Metro 2033 which retailed at that price.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
right but i did expect they'd charge $29.99 since they replicated their efforts on Metro 2033 which retailed at that price.
So whose fault is it that you're a dumbass and paid full price for the game? Was it marketed as being unusually long for a FPS? Was it marketed as having a lot of replayability? Was it marketed as having multiplayer? No? Then what the fuck are you complaining about? It's common knowledge that damn near every FPS in the past 10 years has had a 10-15 hour single player storyline experience. Name one that is longer.

For fuck's sake, I just played Far Cry (yes the first one), and it took me about 12 hours for the main campaign. And I play FPS'sslow.

I'm actually hating EA less for bastardizing BF3 into hackfest 2k11-13. Why should they devote manpower to combating hackers, or dollars to upgrading to VLC when they've already provided hundreds of hours of gameplay at the same price that other companies provide tens of hours?

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Am i? Because if Apples = $59.99, Metro and BF3 both cost Apples. One has playability beyond it's 10 or less hours of campaign gameplay.

Not to be rude, and I really am not whatsoever trying to be a dickhead - but it's kind of a sucker mentality to believe sixty dollars was well spent on 10 hours of good, but not great gameplay.

I bought Civilization 5 for $2.99 and have almost 300 hours in.
Bad logic. Apples and Oranges both costing $$ does not make them equivalent. How much an apple vs an orange is worth is relative to how much you value the unique traits of the apple vs the orange.

I get bored out of my mind playing single or multi-player deathmatch/CTF/etc. and so my entertainment value from BF3 is probably about ten bucks, despite the fact that it is from most accounts a very good multiplayer FPS. On the other hand, I love the atmosphere of the metro games and genuinely enjoy my time playing them. Granted, I'd say 10 hours of good game is worth more like $40 to me than $60 (or $50 bucks on Steam), so I mostly agree.

I got my copy free with a new vid card though, so that's cool.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
With the various sales that are on all the time, I don't understand why anyone would pay more than $10-20 for any game these days.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Okay, this is pretty bullshit

PCGamer - If Metro: Last Light Ranger Mode is ?the way it was meant to be played? why isn?t it included for all players? We ask Koch

For many publishers and retailers, convincing you to commit to a day one purchase before anyone?s played/reviewed their game is a big win, and pre-order bonuses are a handy way to entice customers and bank sales estimates before launch day. As these promised bonuses grow in heft and significance, we face increasingly frustrating dilemmas about where and when to put money down for new games.

Metro: Last Light?s hardcore ?Ranger Mode? is a particularly thorny example. It?s advertised as ?the way it was meant to be played? on the front page of the Metro site, but is If that?s the case, why isn?t it available to everyone who buys the game? Is it really, as implied, the definitive Metro experience? We put the question to Huw Beynon, global brand manager at Metro: Last Light?s publisher, Koch Media, who explains why it was segregated out as a pre-order bonus.

?Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case,? he says. ?We rejected requests to make story content or additional missions exclusive. We also rejected requests to make this a timed exclusive.?