Minor car accident - now with ambulance chasing law firm

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Where the fuck do you live and why haven't you moved away?
Southern Rhode Island. I live with my mom, who's disabled, and my stepfather bailed and left us with the house. She's stuck in this mortgage and has nowhere else to go. I certainly want to get the fuck out of here, but there's literally no one else to take care of my mom or deal with the repairs to the house.

First disaster was a flood, 53 inches of water in the basement, kept coming back for 5 weeks, far outside of a flood zone. Second was Irene, which wasn't too bad besides a lot of damage to the property, like massive trees downed. Third was Sandy, that was just fucking fucked so much I don't even want to talk about it. Then stuck without power in zero degree temps during Nemo, shitty Walmart candle caught fire and wrecked the bathroom, plus some damage to heating system/well pump from the cold.

Only good part was that the soot from the fire clung to the mold from the flood claim and the insurance company got stuck covering all the mold removal.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Auto insurance is a joke in the US. The state I live in still only requires a minimum of 10k property damage and 25k bodily injury per person. The same limits now as when insurance became mandatory in 1987. Those limits didn't go very far then and they are just ridiculous now. Most states are roughly the same, and with the current state of the economy for the lower and middle class in the US, a LOT of people just carry the minimum requirements. It's scary.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I'd love if all my clients opted for higher limits, esp after I suggest them, but most often they want "The cheapest thing possible". Been doing this 20 years (looking for other stuff to do now) and it has always been the same. It would be sweet if limits were higher, that would just mean all the attorneys would raise the settlement amounts however.

The biggest issues with coverage/claims here is the PIP coverage. The "hospitals" around here all ask if a vehicle was near the person when they check in for whatever incident and try to submit it as a claim on the person's car insurance.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Well what are good amounts of coverage to have? Think im at 100k property and 100k medical right now.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Southern Rhode Island. I live with my mom, who's disabled, and my stepfather bailed and left us with the house. She's stuck in this mortgage and has nowhere else to go. I certainly want to get the fuck out of here, but there's literally no one else to take care of my mom or deal with the repairs to the house.

First disaster was a flood, 53 inches of water in the basement, kept coming back for 5 weeks, far outside of a flood zone. Second was Irene, which wasn't too bad besides a lot of damage to the property, like massive trees downed. Third was Sandy, that was just fucking fucked so much I don't even want to talk about it. Then stuck without power in zero degree temps during Nemo, shitty Walmart candle caught fire and wrecked the bathroom, plus some damage to heating system/well pump from the cold.

Only good part was that the soot from the fire clung to the mold from the flood claim and the insurance company got stuck covering all the mold removal.
good for you bro.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
1M is pretty much the standard in Canada and to bump it to 3M is generally just a few bucks. We nowhere near sue each other as often as you guys do down south; not to mention that medical bills are not a thing here either.

I'm seriously mind blow that you have people driving around legally with 10k/25k insurances. 0_o

Jovec

?
So to update, the claimant's lawyers are again asking for a release of policy limits after already having been refused. I see no reason to change that stance.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So to update, the claimant's lawyers are again asking for a release of policy limits after already having been refused. I see no reason to change that stance.
Sounds like the 'We strenuously object' scene from A Few Good Men.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ask if they're sure they don't want a shovel and a DVD season of Gold Rush instead

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I've seen some dumb shit.

Had a lady run herself over with her own car and tried to file a claim. She parked her car in her drive way, got out to get the mail, car wasn't in gear and rolled over her. Claim paid 8k in PIP and another 10k in medical payments. No payments from BI but there was talk that if the bills were high enough they would of had to pay. Argument was if someone else was driving the car and she got hit would it be covered? Yes, so pay up. Since it wasn't an intentional act, just an act of stupidity, it would be covered anyway.
BI doesn't work like that, IF some one else was driving the car their insurance if they had it would be for BI and depending on the state old ladies PIP may or may not be primary. Scenario above all insurance can do is Max the PIP/medpay and close the claim she ain't getting shit from other coverages.

Companies will release limits when they are sure or in danger of reaching the policy limits, it is safe to assume whatever is on the table it isn't anywhere close to their limits(at least from their point of view).

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Wow, didn't know that. So, asking for limits and getting refused just lets the other lawyer know to double the numbers?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
No, in many states if the insurance company has had an demand of policy limits and refused it, and later on the case turns out to be worth more than the policy limits, then the insurance company will be on the hook for the excess and not the policyholder. Since by far most policyholders are judgment proof, it is standard plaintiffs attorney practice to demand policy limits to make sure that if they get an excess verdict for some reason (turns out your client was drunk, their client develops mental problems, etc) then they can get the money from the insurance company.

It's also kind of a blind all-in to see if the insurance company is hiding anything; if the insurance company is scared and thinks they might bust limits at some point, they might just pay policy limits and get it over with. Easy money for the plaintiffs lawyer.

You're thinking of this like its a normal negotiation, and you shouldn't. This game has its own rules, and the lawyers in most cases are not douchebags. They have a job to do just like you do. If you hate anybody, hate the clients that are willing to stand up there and claim injuries from a "wreck" that caused only minor paint damage to the car.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Still so tired of insurance and I have been out of it for almost a year, you can ask ANY question about insurance and the answer is always a fucking paragraph.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
And I assume it's somehow illegal to just tell them you have the minimums when they ask? (assuming you don't have the minimums)

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
And I assume it's somehow illegal to just tell them you have the minimums when they ask? (assuming you don't have the minimums)
Insurance company isn't going to lie about it. Any attorney is going to ask the insurance company, not you. Insurance coverage is discoverable in the ensuing lawsuit so if they were to lie it would come back on them. Its just not productive.