MMO's should have servers with different difficulty levels.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Rift is like Wildstar.. they're those games you heard about a long time ago but didn't play and aren't sure if the servers are even running any more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Do I like the idea of being able to play on a harder difficulty, sure. Do I think its worth the cost for a genre that already pushes expenses so hard that they arnt being made anymore? No.
What cost? They have dozens of servers, why not have 1 more? In the case of most of these games, they wouldn't even need to spend time changing things to be tougher, because they already know how to reproduce it from how it was in beta.

Qwerty strikes me as the type of neckbeard who complains about easy MMOs and that none have a sense of community and then proceeds to 5-box an entire group and ignores anyone
That is partly true. But I don't have a beard. I still group with people, but I prefer to box a whole group or more, because it is so much more interesting than playing a single boring character. Once you have spent a long time multiboxing, you can't really go back to 1 character.

Rift is like Wildstar.. they're those games you heard about a long time ago but didn't play and aren't sure if the servers are even running any more.

I never even tried Wildstar, I figured it would just be like all the others. I also hate cutesy cartoon graphics.

• 1Solidarity
I just googled MMO Mom and apparently there is another type of MMO

One of the best MMORPG's ever made was called MoM. Minions of Mirth, and it was awesome. You could play the exact same game as an MMO or in single player mode. You could solo and group with other people, or you could play as your own party with multiple characters, yet they all existed within your one main avatar so you didn't have to control them. You just had multiple hotbars of spells and you could gear them all up. And you could also multiclass each character twice. So your main could be say a Warrior/Cleric/Wizard and you could have a Ranger/Bard/Shaman in your party as well, and many more if you wanted. It meant noobs could just play one character, and uber people could play a more complex version of the same game.

Also it was made with a high level programming language and they gave the tools to the public, so people could make their own content and share it with the devs for the main live server, and people could make their own servers with their own rules if they wanted. Also it was buy to play and no subscription long before stuff like GW2 came along. Also it was really good to play, and had lots of things that even big budget MMO's still don't have, like active wars between factions of mobs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Yea, especially seeing as they probably already have backups of the game with those higher difficulties, so it wouldn't need much extra dev time.

Still looks better than Pan'theon. 2005, was it?

:p It is a cool game though, the only problem is that it's kinda short.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
This wouldn't work the way you think.

The proliferation of bad players on the easy server would make group play just as punishing as the pro server with its Asperger try-hards.

In fact, if you don't come up with ways entice the latter to hand hold the former, there's no level of easy that is easy enough. Result: Ever(heh)diminishing player base.

The current example in WoW would be guilds having to sell loot runs to afford the fucking consumables they need to use to get past cockblocks. That's a natural way for less committed players to get to experience out of reach content.

It's like playing Dark Souls in coop. The summoned player gets rewarded, the summoner gets carried past the boss.

Also, when the Rift expansion first came out those fucking mobs had HP like 5-10 times higher and took an eternity to kill on a fresh character.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I like the idea of having servers separated but as a social distinction. My mindset comes from EQ TLP servers, where they generally released 2 at a time and they were the same fucking thing, and each time would have benefited from just making one "hardcore and competive players go here" and the other "casual and relaxed players go here" so people could play in the environment/atmosphere that suited them - even if it was exactly the same base game. I believe WOW did it but only for roleplay shit, they could have altaholic-friendly and achievement-whoring and etc. WOW at this point is so cross-server I suppose it doesn't matter.

Meanwhile for this thread's purpose it's hard to imagine them doing it at a base level without extra work. I do think the effort would be worthwhile. For an existing game I suspect the effort to keep a second server dataset that's harder (eg a beta build) would be borderline impossible, or at least a literal double work, since you have to do all future changes and additions at least twice to add them. For a game that plans on having a "hardcore" server and can just mark adjustments as not-hardcore so the specific change alone merely doesn't apply? What would be so hard? They could likewise have "softcore" servers where some of the more punishing changes are likewise left off.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just make games hard again. Force social interaction, make you walk places, let raiders get unique gear, make some classes have different pros and cons. Let the casuals go back to single player games.

• 1Solidarity

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Just make games hard again. Force social interaction, make you walk places, let raiders get unique gear, make some classes have different pros and cons. Let the casuals go back to single player games.
So Qwerty just wants a p99 server he can 6 box on. Already said he rather box. Typical neckbeard logic, want difficulty and social interaction, proceed to multi-box and monopolize certain group content/camps and never interact with community outside of raping the economy

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Why split people up when MMOs already struggle enough to maintain a playerbase? Doesn't make any sense to me.

This wouldn't work the way you think.

The proliferation of bad players on the easy server would make group play just as punishing as the pro server with its Asperger try-hards.
But it wouldn't create bad players. The normal servers would just stay the same, maybe a few less (asperger try hard is a terrible way to describe it) hardcore players but not so few that it ruins the normal servers.

This wouldn't work the way you think.In fact, if you don't come up with ways entice the latter to hand hold the former, there's no level of easy that is easy enough. Result: Ever(heh)diminishing player base.
But these games are so easy anyway, you don't need pros to walk you through dungeons. You can do it anyway.

Also, when the Rift expansion first came out those fucking mobs had HP like 5-10 times higher and took an eternity to kill on a fresh character.
Well when I tried it, my character was a 'fresh' character with only gear from the old world (and not even raid gear), and I killed same level mobs before they even touched me.

since you have to do all future changes and additions at least twice to add them. For a game that plans on having a "hardcore" server and can just mark adjustments as not-hardcore so the specific change alone merely doesn't apply? What would be so hard? They could likewise have "softcore" servers where some of the more punishing changes are likewise left off.

I suppose it depends on how well the game is programmed. There could be literally one file they edit with mob HP/evasion/dmg values that changes it from easy to hard.

You can't do that because it will have a population of 1000 people when some Black Desert type shit has a population of 1000000000000000. Pantheon is going to be more hardcore, but at the expense of budget which is why so many morons here complain about the graphics and animations etc. You can't satisfy both sets of gamers with one game. The only way to do that would be this idea, which so far nobody has done. The only thing which came close was early EQ which actually had difficulty levels associated with each class.

So Qwerty just wants a p99 server he can 6 box on. Already said he rather box. Typical neckbeard logic, want difficulty and social interaction, proceed to multi-box and monopolize certain group content/camps and never interact with community outside of raping the economy
There is nothing wrong with my logic, you just have a hard time understanding basic things. I already have a p99 server I can 6 box on, it is called PEQ or Titan and I play them regularly and have done for many years. There are others too. TAKP is classic EQ locked in time at PoP and you can 3 box on there. SoD lets you 2 box. Etc.. And none of that negative stuff you assumed actually happens. For a start the populations are too low on all those servers to have any economy at all, so nobody is raping anything. Also with <6 boxing you can only do group content so people will regularly group up so they can do raid content. And with >6 boxing people can do raids themselves.

I still play other games sometimes and I will single box. I played Rift for about 2 months and I never multi boxed in that time, because the classes are fun enough that it isn't really necessary. That's not true with EQ though.

i am soooo angri at ppl i dnt no bcoz my life is shit

/pats you on the head

Why split people up when MMOs already struggle enough to maintain a playerbase? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Because it would attract more players. I played Rift for about 7 weeks total. I played GW2 for about 2 weeks total. If they had a server with mobs like beta, I would have played both of them a lot longer.

Last edited:

Sho'nuff

Golden Knight of the Realm
Wanna hard mmo just get a cat that likes to walk around and lay on your keyboard. Makes any game challenging.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I don't mind MMOs with very high skillcaps and still allows casuals to play and have a decent time. I am 100% here for good players seeing hard content and bad players only seeing it in videos because they got kicked from the guild. But I can see from a devs point of view of, why would we spend so much time making this place and only 5% of our players even witness it?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think difficulty , or even hardcore vs soft core, is subjective and could create a lot of disagreement. However something more specific like a group oriented server where the pve, crafting etc is heavily weighted towards interdependency and group dynamics may be a good option separate from standard modern mmo gameplay where you can, and often do, most things solo. This would require more effort and balance from the designers no question but these two play styles would accommodate a lot of ppl

There wouldn't need to be any disagreement though. People just play on their usual server as normal and nothing changes for them. But there could be a new server with harder mobs for anyone that wants it.

Sho'nuff

Golden Knight of the Realm
Wasn't Wildstar an experiment in bringing back difficult upper level content? I never played past beta, but I know a common complaint was the difficulty of the encounters.