Modern software sucks, and computing is garbage while hardware is blazing new frontiers.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I only fuck around with Photoshop if my graphic designer is there to hold my hand. Otherwise im a gimp man.

Yeah unfortunately, I'm not able to do that because I keep getting sent shit that gimp can't figure out how to open.

But at least gimp can save a BMP.

high tech shit.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I mean, yeah. Casey mentioned in his video this downfall started around 1995-1996 with the whole advent of "plug and play". Windows XP would be a part of that, but a large reason why people don't recall Windows XP release bugs and problems is because those problems were not problems for the general population of users. They were problems that largely affected businesses, colleges, etc, just like you described. I know of no one personally who was affected by any of the worms in the early 2000s. But even in that case, many people (most especially corporate companies) tend to not to adopt new operating systems quickly. They were not updating to Windows XP on day one. It doesn't excuse the issues, but it does make them less relevant because you're not put into a position where you're forced to update.

In 2017, over half of the businesses in this country still relied on at least one system that still ran Windows XP. TODAY, over 15% of all PCs still run Windows 7. If I recall, over 90% of all banking ATMs still run Windows XP to this day. If software is so much better today, why are they doing this?

How many people are running a year old version of Chrome? Are you allowed to even do that or does it FORCE update you? I have an Adobe CC subscription for my business, and this thing automatically updates itself multiple times a year to add its new bloated bullshit and there's nothing I can do about this. Oh sure, I can turn off auto updates, but the moment I need any level of support whatsoever they aren't going to touch this unless I'm on the latest version.

Speaking of photoshop, with the latest update, I can't even figure out how to save a generic Windows BMP anymore. They removed almost all file types supported by save as, and you can't export many images as a BMP either, even with RGB color space and 8 bit depth. If you search online, no one seems to have a clear answer to this yet.

Fucking terrible experience, because I need to be able to save 2048x2048 BMPs the old way, and there's no clear way I can go back to an older version of photoshop that lets me do this.
I'm assuming you have the mac version so not sure if you want to try Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing

The only i can find for you is to resize the image and make it 16 bits
"
What Image mode and bit depth is your document? You will not see .bmp in Save As if your are using 16 bits/Channel or your image mode is anything other than RGB or BitMap

I had the same issue. I resized the bitmap as it was huge (30inchesx20inches)

This worked
"

Also the reason why people are still using windows XP in a business is because cost. It cost money to upgrade the apps they use. Sometimes the apps they use the vendor went bankrupt and there is no other alternative.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
im assuming you hve teh mac version so not sure if you want to try Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing

It's actually the PC version. I don't need to use it much, but I do need it, and I need to be able to save BMPs, because Second Life is such a piece of shit that the best quality images you can possibly upload are BMPs because it does a backend conversion to JPG2000. *faceclaws*

Fucker

Log Wizard
I mean, yeah. Casey mentioned in his video this downfall started around 1995-1996 with the whole advent of "plug and play". Windows XP would be a part of that, but a large reason why people don't recall Windows XP release bugs and problems is because those problems were not problems for the general population of users. They were problems that largely affected businesses, colleges, etc, just like you described. I know of no one personally who was affected by any of the worms in the early 2000s. But even in that case, many people (most especially corporate companies) tend to not to adopt new operating systems quickly. They were not updating to Windows XP on day one. It doesn't excuse the issues, but it does make them less relevant because you're not put into a position where you're forced to update.

In 2017, over half of the businesses in this country still relied on at least one system that still ran Windows XP. TODAY, over 15% of all PCs still run Windows 7. If I recall, over 90% of all banking ATMs still run Windows XP to this day. If software is so much better today, why are they doing this?

How many people are running a year old version of Chrome? Are you allowed to even do that or does it FORCE update you? I have an Adobe CC subscription for my business, and this thing automatically updates itself multiple times a year to add its new bloated bullshit and there's nothing I can do about this. Oh sure, I can turn off auto updates, but the moment I need any level of support whatsoever they aren't going to touch this unless I'm on the latest version.

Speaking of photoshop, with the latest update, I can't even figure out how to save a generic Windows BMP anymore. They removed almost all file types supported by save as, and you can't export many images as a BMP either, even with RGB color space and 8 bit depth. If you search online, no one seems to have a clear answer to this yet.

Fucking terrible experience, because I need to be able to save 2048x2048 BMPs the old way, and there's no clear way I can go back to an older version of photoshop that lets me do this.
Years ago, I saw an ATM that had some kind of error and it was running OS/2 Warp. Made me LOL.

Use this in place of PS if you can.

• 1Blown
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It's actually the PC version. I don't need to use it much, but I do need it, and I need to be able to save BMPs, because Second Life is such a piece of shit that the best quality images you can possibly upload are BMPs because it does a backend conversion to JPG2000. *faceclaws*
I dont want to burst your bubble.. but that be because Second life uses an outdated engine and it was built.. maybe 15 years ago? That is pretty much the best argument against old software.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Then pay for a browser. Go ahead. Pay for it. Make it, spend the money and create it.
Do you lack the intelligence to understand Chrome is paid for? Or do you lack the intelligence to understand personal information is a commodity?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Years ago, I saw an ATM that had some kind of error and it was running OS/2 Warp. Made me LOL.

OS2 warp? Holy shit. I don't know exactly why, but the State of Texas has a love affair with OS/2.

I think the entire state government actually ran on it for a long time.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I dont want to burst your bubble.. but that be because Second life uses an outdated engine and it was built.. maybe 15 years ago? That is pretty much the best argument against old software.

Again, you're confusing what "software experience" means. Yes, SL uses old outdated ways for their handling of textures. But it has also never failed to work.

Path of Exile still can't get textures to display properly in 2021.

(Side note: The SL engine is pretty constantly updated, and is pretty advanced for what it is. For example, you're able to create avatars and items lightyears ahead of pretty much any similar platform (vrchat, etc)).

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Wouldn't both examples, Adobe not saving in that format and SL requiring files be on that format be examples of bad software experience?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dont know shit about software development but I do know CAD systems for automotive, ive been working on them since 1992. And I can tell you guys that the software is so advanced now that what took teams of 200+ people to design a cockpit module in the 90s has become 10-12 people now. The software is also more stable, hardly any crashes (and loss of work) which is huge. The last cad system I worked on IDEAS, we used to get constant crashes. And if you got into a groove sometimes you would forget to save your shit, and then BAM, fucking software crashes and you lose 4-8 hrs worth of work. This rarely happens now, if ever. I dont even remember the last time my Siemens NX 11.0 crashed on me.

They also went from a purely surface and wire frame structure in the 90s and early 2K to a surface and solid structure which makes down stream services like cutter paths and tooling design 100% easier. since its a solid rather than a surface model with disjointed edges.

The models now are also "smart" int hat they have history so if constructed correctly. They can be easily modified, even if they have no history, they are still solid with new tools to actually move, delete, resize, etc... features on the model in real time. What we did in the 90s and 2Ks when your shit needed a change you deleted the part of the model and rebuilt it from scratch. This is why we needed teams of 200+ people, not any more.

We also went from dedicated computers called "Lundy" which had light pens and shit, to later unix systems with M&K to todays software that can run on your average home PC with windows if it has a dedicated graphics card. Obv, we use workstations that cost $1000s but I have ran this software on my $1500 gaming PC no problem. The reason we use workstations rather than cheap computers is not so much for the speed, it does help, but more so for the stability.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
If I recall, over 90% of all banking ATMs still run Windows XP to this day. If software is so much better today, why are they doing this?

Money. If it still works most businesses aren't going to replace things like that if they aren't forced to. You still have multi million dollar pieces of medical equipment running Windows CE because you'd have to replace the whole damn machine.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Money. If it still works most businesses aren't going to replace things like that if they aren't forced to. You still have multi million dollar pieces of medical equipment running Windows CE because you'd have to replace the whole damn machine.

Good answer.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

OS2 warp? Holy shit. I don't know exactly why, but the State of Texas has a love affair with OS/2.

I think the entire state government actually ran on it for a long time.
Can't believe OS/2 Warped is still used anywhere. That's really fucked up.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Hey Lendarios Lendarios check this out...

Link to video

This is a .net core app I'm working on. At the moment the video starts I've clicked on the button to populate the top. This is the typical .net experience, populating 400 items in the top area. It's your typical combination of buttons, listviews, etc to get the view we want. Basically, the default way you need to do this in .net.

The bottom one, is a control we wrote from scratch in a day and implemented into the code to accomplish the same thing.

The top control populated 400 items in about 3 seconds. Scrolling it up and down as you see is weird - its janky, and doesn't draw very well. You cannot real-time resize the columns.
The bottom control populated 4000 items -- 10 times more than the original control -- in less than half a second. Scrolling it up and down is smooth and draws fine. You can real-time resize the columns.

This is what kind of thing I'm talking about. What we need to do is.. pretty basic and simple. And in 2021, it runs like dogshit on the default controls. You need to write your own controls to get any reasonable performance out of them at all. And yet, most of the time, developers wont do that (and I get this isnt always their fault).

Kiki

Log Wizard
People on this thread are suffering from massive memory loss.

Windows XP was plagued by massive huge security flaws. Worm viruses were rampant and if you were to connect your windows XP right after you install it from a CD to the campus network were I used to work, you will get infected with a worm virus. The Blaster worm was notorious for this.

I used to work on IT support on a major university on the early 2000s, so we had to install windows XP, then upgrade to SP2 BEFORE connecting the network cable, why? Because there were tons of vulnerabilities that viruses exploited. I have inserted a small article from the wiki, addressing this same point.

Windows XP at launch was better than windows ME and 98, but worse than 7 and 10 .

Windows STILL has huge security flaws. There are 3 security flaws right NOW like the print spooler RCE, even windows server is vulnerable. The difference is we aren't stupid enough to put them on an unsecured LAN or WAN, every home has a fucking $60 linksys router with PAT and NAT. If only your IT dept was smart enough to have it's own bench LAN. Ironically, I also worked for a major university IT in the year 2000, Norton Ghost existed and we would do entire classrooms at once. Worms were pretty much a non-issue, bittorrent however......

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Can't believe OS/2 Warped is still used anywhere. That's really fucked up.

As recent as 5 years ago I had to put orders in at Motorola through an AS400 and OS/2 Warp System. Full multimillion dollar equipment and system orders. I’d have to break orders for radios in to 5-6 lists of 500-1,000 each, do all the excel conversions, it took hours. All because our inventory, order, financial, and everything else just still ran on it. I think there was one guy in an office no one remembered how to get to in Schaumburg who supported the whole thing. He may still be there, dead, collecting a check.

• 1Blown