Monster Hunter: World

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Well, we were doing Piercing Black for one of my buddies and a HH guy showed up and hit black Diablos with the sonic waves (seemingly) every time he tried to burrow. It made the fight really easy. I tried to do it with the gold rathian horn, and was pretty unsuccessful. Yea, it’s super situational, but if it’s a trick I can pull out of my bag any time we fight a Diablos, it seems like it would be worth it.

Edit: maybe not worth investing safi mats into. I’ll have to look and see what other horns play sonic waves and maybe just make one of those. Gold Rathian horn was the wrong choice though, thought it was a poison horn but it’s fire, and Diablos are strong to fire. Whoops!

Last edited:

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Trying to make the Pink Rathian blade and I can't get a Rathian Mantle to carve for the life of me. Is it a 1% drop or something? Killed and carved 5 Rathians and 3 Pink Rathians and no luck so far. Can't really skip it as it progresses to the Gold Rathian uber LS... Oh well, halfway through the IB story by the looks of it as I'm about to slay Velkhana.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
You can Meld one of those I think, just noticed all those were recently added to my melder. If it's not there then it will be soon, I'm just a couple assignments past Velkhana.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Trying to make the Pink Rathian blade and I can't get a Rathian Mantle to carve for the life of me. Is it a 1% drop or something? Killed and carved 5 Rathians and 3 Pink Rathians and no luck so far. Can't really skip it as it progresses to the Gold Rathian uber LS... Oh well, halfway through the IB story by the looks of it as I'm about to slay Velkhana.

lol get used to it. I killed like 15 Acid Glavenus the other day just to get the acid goo off of him.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Mantles in general are around 2%. It's 2% for the tail carve, 2% for the body carve or capture, 2 or 3% for breaking various parts(head and back for rathian), 1% if using plunderblade(on each item it steals). It all adds up but it's still a low%. As usual for farming rare materials what you want is investigations. A silver box has 10% for a mantle and a gold box has 18%. So a 2gold 2silver fairly common investigation gives solid chances to get at least one per kill for example.

Rathian mantle drop on all Rathians so just find an investigation for pink/green/gold with good boxes and spam that a few times.

Even then though it can take a while, I ran 5 gold rathian investigations yesterday to farm surspikes for various weapons+armor, finally got some to spawn after getting 13silver rathalos without a single gold rathian, and in these 5 I only got mantles in the last one(got 2 in the same run though). They were 1 gold 2silver investigations so not the best for that mind you but still.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Plunder blade and lucky cat when you eat, do investigations with as many gold parts as you can.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think it was a bad call to have to grind Tempered Investigation for efficient decorations and ingredients but also Grinding Lands for aug mats that you cannot get from Investigations or any other source.

I mean it isn't the worst since the monsters can drop tons of pieces per fight. But it's still a layer of tedium that doesn't need to exist.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean it offers 2 different systems to grind for rather than just the one like vanilla. Guiding Lands is kinda "quick" though. Once you have a fair bit of materials there's no need to go there much anymore, it's not like augments are temporary, or even locked to a weapon. If you find a better weapon, you can just unaugment whatever you were using before and augment the new one. Only the slot upgrades require regrinding but a single kill of each relevant mob is generally going to be enough, the drops aren't RNG since you get so many per hunts. If/when they fix geology that might be more annoying but until then it's kinda whatever.

I'm basically almost done with Guiding Lands farming, need a couple more rotted levels, kill Vaal Hazak and Temp brute tigrex twice each, relvl coral a bit and then done until Rajang patch(which admitedly is really soon). Farm a bunch of Rajang stuff and done with that too.

Guiding Lands is a finite grind, you only grind x amount of things until you're done with it, you might have to regrind at some point but it's not that bad and is similar to just grinding materials to craft a new item.

Tempered grind is the "infinite" grind that comes after. You might eventually get all decos but it'll take a fucking long time, much more than it takes being done with GL.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I got my first set built from the first monster and it may not be meta, but I absolutely will not roll without earplugs. My god it's so nice to be able to just keep wailing while the monster goes all drama queen and bitches non stop. One thing that kind of irritates me, is I have max potions set to auto craft, and I have the mats in my pouch but when I use one... it doesn't auto craft. I still have to go in and manually craft them.

Now I'm back in HR getting the weapons I want to roll with upgraded to Rarity 9, as well as all the necklaces I'll use, and I'm trying to get all the special tools as well. At least the fights are easy.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So I got my first set built from the first monster and it may not be meta, but I absolutely will not roll without earplugs. My god it's so nice to be able to just keep wailing while the monster goes all drama queen and bitches non stop. One thing that kind of irritates me, is I have max potions set to auto craft, and I have the mats in my pouch but when I use one... it doesn't auto craft. I still have to go in and manually craft them.

Now I'm back in HR getting the weapons I want to roll with upgraded to Rarity 9, as well as all the necklaces I'll use, and I'm trying to get all the special tools as well. At least the fights are easy.

if you run out it will craft them, just an additional button press, if you want to craft every time then set a radial to the craft action and not the max potion itself. I use to do this with flash pods when they were more effective on multiple uses.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh ok so it's when you hit 0... ok yeah that makes sense. For some odd reason I assumed it was as you used them since if you have 5 mega potions and you snag some honey you get 6 mega potions. That's totally fine I just didn't want to be at 0 and stay at 0 during an oh shit moment

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Yeah I had my earplugs phase too. As you improve and understand the monsters you can roll at the time the monster roars and it doesn't effect you. I think defense down and tremor are way worse than howl.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh ok so it's when you hit 0... ok yeah that makes sense. For some odd reason I assumed it was as you used them since if you have 5 mega potions and you snag some honey you get 6 mega potions. That's totally fine I just didn't want to be at 0 and stay at 0 during an oh shit moment
Yeah autocrafts only procs when you pick up items to craft and you're not at max. But if you try to use one when you have mats it'll craft it so it's not too much of a problem, although you have to press the potion twice, once to craft and once to drink the one you crafted.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
also I laughed way too hard at this

1580140150868.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
You can Meld one of those I think, just noticed all those were recently added to my melder. If it's not there then it will be soon, I'm just a couple assignments past Velkhana.

Really? Again there so much in this game that isn't explained it's kind of crazy.

Mantles in general are around 2%. It's 2% for the tail carve, 2% for the body carve or capture, 2 or 3% for breaking various parts(head and back for rathian), 1% if using plunderblade(on each item it steals). It all adds up but it's still a low%. As usual for farming rare materials what you want is investigations. A silver box has 10% for a mantle and a gold box has 18%. So a 2gold 2silver fairly common investigation gives solid chances to get at least one per kill for example.

Rathian mantle drop on all Rathians so just find an investigation for pink/green/gold with good boxes and spam that a few times.

Even then though it can take a while, I ran 5 gold rathian investigations yesterday to farm surspikes for various weapons+armor, finally got some to spawn after getting 13silver rathalos without a single gold rathian, and in these 5 I only got mantles in the last one(got 2 in the same run though). They were 1 gold 2silver investigations so not the best for that mind you but still.

I finished the investigations I had sans one where I need to capture the Rathian in 20 minutes and I don't seemingly have the damage for that yet. Do I need to do another quest for it to repopulate? I failed the last 2 times on the capture before going to bed and nothing new was there.

Edit: Yep, you can meld it. LOL.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Really? Again there so much in this game that isn't explained it's kind of crazy.

I finished the investigations I had sans one where I need to capture the Rathian in 20 minutes and I don't seemingly have the damage for that yet. Do I need to do another quest for it to repopulate? I failed the last 2 times on the capture before going to bed and nothing new was there.

Edit: Yep, you can meld it. LOL.
Investigations are random, you get them from breaking parts and picking up tracks, so you generally get a bunch automatically. Also the tailraider safari shit gives you 5 investigations every time it complete from the region you sent them in. You basically keep playing and get more investigations, you should be at the cap most of the time pretty easily. If that was the only rathian investigation you had then you need to keep farming tracks until you find another, which being RNG might take a while(also you don't need rathian tracks, the investigations themselves are RNG although confined to "tiers", so any roughly same difficulty monster tracks can yield a rathian investigation).

You can meld stuff you've already found once, and pretty sure the story unlock a bunch of the melding options automatically anyway so yeah you can just meld one if you just need the one. Celestial tickets are kinda rare but they're also consistent, you get like 1-2 a week(during events 2 guaranteed from limited bounties), so they're nice to buy stuff you can't be bothered to farm if you don't think you'll need more than one.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Investigations are random, you get them from breaking parts and picking up tracks, so you generally get a bunch automatically. Also the tailraider safari shit gives you 5 investigations every time it complete from the region you sent them in. You basically keep playing and get more investigations, you should be at the cap most of the time pretty easily. If that was the only rathian investigation you had then you need to keep farming tracks until you find another, which being RNG might take a while(also you don't need rathian tracks, the investigations themselves are RNG although confined to "tiers", so any roughly same difficulty monster tracks can yield a rathian investigation).

You can meld stuff you've already found once, and pretty sure the story unlock a bunch of the melding options automatically anyway so yeah you can just meld one if you just need the one. Celestial tickets are kinda rare but they're also consistent, you get like 1-2 a week(during events 2 guaranteed from limited bounties), so they're nice to buy stuff you can't be bothered to farm if you don't think you'll need more than one.

Got it. I had a 400 but deleted them all and then had cleared out the Rathian ones that I had picked up since then. I do notice the "investigation Added" box quite often but didn't really pay attention to why as from earlier in this thread it was clear it was just another way to farm needed mats.

Anyway, so got the Pink Rathian blade made. Now onto Velkhana and I'm seemingly spending more time dodging freeze AoE damage than actually hitting him. Only had 2 attempts and nowhere near rage inducing as Tigrex but just makes me think maybe a ranged weapon would be better here.

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
I said fuck it and used sos's for velkhana lol. Was trying to do it all solo but that fight feels aids without a range weapon at the level I play. Made it to the guiding lands this past weekend. Can't really play during the week so looking forward to that.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Meh once you know the moves velkhana is the easiest elder dragon imo, most is very telegraphed and easy to avoid or it's the quick tail shit that doesn't do a whole lot of damage(and you can avoid easily by just running circles around her). She has good HZV everywhere so even without tenderizing you do good damage and has low hp so you can kill her pretty quick. I think it's probably harder on ranged too, she spams beam breath shit at range which is annoying to avoid but in melee as long as you're not in front it's easy to avoid and punish. Safest place for most of the fight is next to her front legs, or on the tail if she's aggroed on someone else(palico included). Only the sweep tail attack is dangerous in these spots and that shit does super low damage and has a lenghty animation. She doesn't even have strong tail attacks like Luna/Teo or spin breath shit.