Most memorable comic book moments

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Himeo said:
Looking to get into comics with limited experience. I"ve read Batman: Year One, and the Dark Knight returns. I"d prefer something with an adult theme and outside of the typical Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman or X-Men brands. Also, I"m not interested in any unfinished story lines. I"d rather go through the entire story in one sitting.

Any suggestions?
Preacher, Watchmen, The Sandman - all finished up and in TPB form.

meStevo said:
Fear Itself sure did sputter to an end, huge issue, a few pages of action, then a bunch of prologues to get you to buy other books. Blah.

The stuff with Thor, Cap, and his hammer were kinda wtf. Thought we"d get a lot more mileage out of the weapons Stark had made w/ Odin and co. too.

This for sure. Had same problem with Flashpoint. Like why make weapons and do basically nothing? Why show the stuff with the gorillas in Africa and not show more later? Frustrating.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Even worse I keep buying these epilogue .n issues like a little addicted comic bitch and not even reading them.

Fear Itself has kinda soured me on comics a bit, I am buying just a couple X-Books for Regenesis and have dialed back any random "this looks spiffy" purchases and just pirate everything else for the week now. Even books I was really enjoying like Moon Knight and Venom I just lost interest in completely.

Feel like im just biding my time until the Cable and Phoenix events, have kinda lost interest in the new DC U as well, buying just JLA, and the Green Lantern books. Interested in the Age of Apocalypse series too, but not a fan of the story in the general Point One that came out last week.

The "good" weapons from Fear Itself should have spun off into their own consequences all over the Marvel U IMO.

Kinda like the direction of Ultimates (main title and X-Men), but couldn"t care less about Hawkeye and Spider-Man.

Caliane

I hear spider island event was fantastic. While the Fear itself was complete shit, and no one understands why that was marketed over spider island.

sumdain x_foh

shitlord
i am enjoying avenging spiderman even though it was only 1 issue so far Joe Mad"s art is great. i picked up every issue of fear itself and the only enjoyable ones were journey into mystery and a few of the ironman or main story line books.

recent books i have enjoyed
spider island main book / venom book
Magneto: not a hero
all the regenesis stuff
locke and key (waiting on the next book for this)
x-force (one more book till the wrap up)
thunderbolts (so campy but fun)

SceleriS_foh

shitlord
Last book of Schism was a good read as well. Almost seemed like a sort of Xmen civil war beginning, and i am quite certain wolverine vs. Cyclops will get a bigger fight.

The Schism serie was good, starting with Cyclops giving Wolverine mad props for being a teacher and such, and halfway those 2 turning against eachother.

It certainly sparked a new interest in the Xmen for me.

darkblue_foh

shitlord
Since there isn"t much talk here, guess I can throw in two recommendations.

I"m guessing most will have already read it a while back, but I just picked up the HC for "The Black Mirror", collecting Scott Snyders Detective Comics run... and holy shit... what an amazing read. So for those who were like me and hadn"t read it yet, I recommend picking it up.

Amazon.com: Batman: The Black Mirror (9781401232061): Scott Snyder, Jock, Francesco Francavilla: Books

First HC of the Uncanny X-Force: Dark Angel Saga came out last week as well, seems to be the start of something great (might not be news to those reading the singles?), so would recommend that as well.

Amazon.com: Uncanny X-Force: The Dark Angel Saga Book 1 (9780785146605): Rick Remender, Jerome Opena, Billy Tan, Mark Brooks: Books

meStevo_foh

shitlord
X-Force is still great. That arc is concluding soon. It"s still delivering IMO.

Not a big fan of "combine 6 comics, you"ve got a hardcover!" but like this enough that I might consider it.

I"ve bought a couple of Omnibus editions on sale once, but otherwise just have Old Man Logan.

Out later this year is an Omnibus of the original Age of Apocalypse. 1000 pages of awesome.

Amazon.com: X-Men: Age of Apocalypse (9780785159827): Scott Lobdell, Mark Waid, Fabian Nicieza, Jeph Loeb, Roger Cruz, Ron Garney, Andy Kubert, Ian Churchill: Books

darkblue_foh

shitlord
Looking forward to it, some other big news is that Bendis is dropping out of all the Avengers versions (3 at the time) he is writing... kind of interesting to see who takes it up and what Bendis will be doing next.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just looking at that all I can think is - Whilce Portacio, Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri - come back and teach these cartoon-drawling foo"s how it"s done.

Edit - And how can I forget Brandon Peterson - his work gives me woodies.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Recap of the announcement livestream Q&A -Highlights From the ?Avengers vs. X-Men? Livestream

12 issues over 6 months.

"The Avengers and X-Men have learned that the all-powerful embodiment of both death and rebirth known as the Phoenix Force is on a crash course for Earth?and it needs a new host to unleash its immeasurable power. But what is the shocking decision tied to the Phoenix?s return that will pit the Avengers against the X-Men? And when good friends become bitter enemies, what does this mean for the future of the Marvel Universe?"
  • Aaron says part of the story comes out of years of stories where the X-Men are struggling against extinction.
  • Matt Fraction talked about his excitement over pitting master strategists Cyclops against Captain America, bringing Scarlet Witch back into the Marvel U, and showing off new armor for Iron Man (I"m guessing it"s adamantium armor).
  • This will be Axel Alonso"s first big event since taking over as Marvel"s EiC.
  • Alonso says the seeds of this story were planted way back during the introduction of the character Hope and like Civil War, it"s a plot that will challenge readers to take a side.
  • Tom Breevoort details the differences for this event: five writers working together with Bendis and Aaron building the skeleton of the whole thing and each writer getting an issue.
  • Aaron: the goal with this story is to make it accessible to new readers while still having elements from the Phoenix"s past.
  • Breevoort: Avengers: X-Sanction is a prelude to this whole event with Cable given 24 hours to return to our time to fix/stop some event.
  • The March Prelude issue is all-new material with stories about Hope and the Scarlet Witch written by Aaron and Bendis and (re)introducing readers to those characters.
  • Fraction: the way Avengers member Hawkeye has of approaching problems will make him a wild card in the story.
  • Bendis: Black Panther and Storm will find their allegiances split between the two teams.
  • Breevoort: Marvel is aware of fan fatigue with big events, and will limit the tie-ins and spinoffs to Avengers and X-Men titles, meaning scaling back miscellaneous Hulk or FF tie-in minis.
  • Books like Winter Soldier and Defenders will just be getting their start and therefore not really participating in this event.
  • Avengers vs. X-Men will also have a currently unannounced sister title.
  • A fan highlighted a big, curious absence in the series: there"s no clear antagonist beyond the two teams.
  • Providing art across the three acts of the story: John Romita Jr. on the first, Olivier Copiel on the second, and Adam Kubert on the third.
  • December"s conclusion of Avengers: The Children"s Crusade will provide background and forward momentum for the Scarlet Witch.
  • The cosmic characters of the Marvel U will be involved.
  • Aaron: "[Charles] Xavier is going to have to be involved in some way or the other."
  • Breevoort: X-Men and Avengers in training will be getting involved in the story (at least with a panel or two) as the story escalates.
  • Bendis: S.H.I.E.L.D. will play a big role in the story as many players will get the opportunity to pick new sides as the organization gets reinvented.
  • Breevoort: Avengers Assemble will be the only title in that line which will remain unaffected by Avengers vs. X-Men, given that that book is supposed to be the easy entry point for new readers anticipating the new movie.
  • Avengers vs. X-Men kicks off in April.

Blackyce_foh

shitlord
Seriously, could Marvel just shit on my memory of X-Men #137 more please.

X-Men_Vol_1_137.jpg

Luckily I stopped reading/caring about the X-Men a long time ago. I"m hoping the Avengers kick their ass.

X-Men_Vol_1_137.jpg

Blackyce_foh

shitlord
SceleriS said:
Dunno i think marvel calling her Phoenix was some sort of a hint.
I think it had more to do with her being kind of re-born after emerging from the shuttle craft when everyone thought she had died.

SceleriS_foh

shitlord
a phoenix being reborn and burning up and being reborn again is endless. It"s the Xmen deus ex machina.

Shit hits fan, phoenix rises
No exciting story, phoenix rises to stir shit up.
Rinse, Repeat.

Next to that, the phoenix is not aperson, it"s a force, with Jean Grey being the most suitable host body. But it can occupy anyone really, in phoenix end song it took over Emma Frost, so it seems the phoenix force has a hard on for telepaths....