Most memorable comic book moments

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Catching up onIrredeemablenow, before it(andIncorruptable) end in May.

There"s something I fucking love about a story where a super powerful good guy just flips his shit and goes off. That one dude inPowerswho fried the Vatican. The dude inBlack Summer.The Homelander inThe Boysto a lesser extent(so far, but not for long).

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I didn?t want to make a new thread so I thought I would tuck this in here. My buddy is trying to get me into collecting comics. So he brings in a bag full of signed, graded comics today and tries to sell me on it. I haven?t really gotten into collecting anything since baseball cards as a kid (which turned out to be nigh worthless).

To lure me into it with him, he?s offering me this Iron Man signed by Joe Quesada 9.8 grade variant, hard plastic shell with the CGC tag, etc etc for a hundred bucks. From what my e-research can gather, this is a pretty good deal. And he?s right because once I start collecting shit, I get into it. Is this worth it?

TheRidic_foh

shitlord
AtwaKom said:
I didn?t want to make a new thread so I thought I would tuck this in here. My buddy is trying to get me into collecting comics. So he brings in a bag full of signed, graded comics today and tries to sell me on it. I haven?t really gotten into collecting anything since baseball cards as a kid (which turned out to be nigh worthless).

To lure me into it with him, he?s offering me this Iron Man signed by Joe Quesada 9.8 grade variant, hard plastic shell with the CGC tag, etc etc for a hundred bucks. From what my e-research can gather, this is a pretty good deal. And he?s right because once I start collecting shit, I get into it. Is this worth it?
Quesada = burn it and piss on the ashes. Mother fucker deserves no better for how he handled Marvel business.

Yes, I am a Spider-Man fan...

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
As a person that started reading comics when he was 12 if you"re just going to start collecting comics for sealed and graded comics then don"t bother. It"s that kind of collecting that killed the comic book industry with all the bullshit gimmick covers and other nonsense that destroyed comic books in the 90"s.

Just my jaded biased opinion. :p

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Yeah, I mean, I would only collect them in the prospect of greater value down the road, which I guess makes me a bad. I enjoy comics but in the very casual sense and I don"t have the space to just collect for the sake of collecting. I guess I"ll just avoid the whole thing altogether. Maybe just grab an original page of something cool to hang on the wall and call it a day.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Collecting in general seems to be dying. Too many people can get everything saved to their iphone or something.

These days if anyone tries to get me into a remote hobby like comic books, I think of it like how people keep trying to get you back into an old MMO. They"re only doing it to cure their own loneliness.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ishad said:
Oh, and make sure to tell your friend he"s a fucking asshole for trying to dump his worthless shit on you.
Over and over.

Basically, if you are getting in to recent comics to make money, you are a Gods be damned retarded fuckwit.

If you want to make money on comics you need to be crazy patient and buying OLD comics that are special. This makes you part of a very small group of people, which you are not ready to be a part of.

=================================================

Unrelated to this already covered subject..

Caught up on Powers recently. Volume 3 had been, largely, boring as fuck and uninteresting. All the Walker as a secret power, Enki the IA snitch, stuff was not well done.

That said! The last 3 or so issues of Powers were really good(up to 8, I"m one behind). They"ve done a good job of bringing Deena back without shoving her down our throats. And they"ve introduced a whole new set/level of powers to deal with(the golden ones/Gods).

It"s very cool, and it"s a great way of getting back to Powers" roots. Cops dealing with things wildly outside of their normal purview. If you are like me and you got tired of the series towards the end of V2 and the start of V3, I encourage you to give it another chance now.

And if you"ve never read it, what the fuck!? Volume one is amazing, try it out=P The art is...jarring a bit. But it works well for the series.

Caliane

If you want to collect something.
collect original artwork, sketches or limited prints. This is stuff that is valuable not just to niche collectors, but art as well.

Books and covers are just not worth anything anymore.

Yeah, I stopped reading Powers back in when it lost its direction and gave everyone powers.

Saga was good. Nothing amazing out of the gate. but I"m sure it will be great. I loved the art.

Wonderwoman is seriously probably the best book out right now.
Covers are godlike. some of the best ever. Great art, and great story as well.

Column_sl

shitlord
AtwaKom said:
I didn't want to make a new thread so I thought I would tuck this in here. My buddy is trying to get me into collecting comics. So he brings in a bag full of signed, graded comics today and tries to sell me on it. I haven't really gotten into collecting anything since baseball cards as a kid (which turned out to be nigh worthless).

To lure me into it with him, he's offering me this Iron Man signed by Joe Quesada 9.8 grade variant, hard plastic shell with the CGC tag, etc etc for a hundred bucks. From what my e-research can gather, this is a pretty good deal. And he's right because once I start collecting shit, I get into it. Is this worth it?
Anything in the last 20 years is worthless..

Collecting comics is pretty much done, that shit died in the 90s after the bubble burst.

I agree with collecting artwork from comics is the only thing valuable right now especially with everything going digital, but that is a steep market to get into...

The nice stuff is all above the 300 mark, and you really have to know what you are doing to turn it around for a profit.

You pretty much have to know ALLOT about comic art which is pretty much just other artists..

For instance, I recently sniped a Humberto Ramos commission he did for Marvel with Taskmaster/ Doc Doom for 150 bucks then sold it for 1500.

But, I just took that money ,and bought some artwork I really wanted which was a cover by Arthur Adams.

So really it"s a hobby for the very rich imo.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Yeah, I made $5/hr credit for 4 years at a comic shop as a kid, shit is barely worth the paper it"s printed on. Few exceptions being stuff like signed Gen 13, Stormwatch - could probably get cover price for them.

Only old books I managed to pick up was Amazing Spider Man #41 in really bad shape. First appearance of the Rhino. Still probably worth more than a longbox of other random 90s books as-is. Think I have a Showcase #45 as well, first appearance of Hawk & Dove.

Column_sl

shitlord
Hush was reissued recently with two new versions.

One is an all black/white graphic novel, and the other is an oversized absolute edition.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This list will tell you why so many people that really got in to comics in the last 10 or so years ended up leaning towards Marvel and think DC is a mess.

Top 10 Worst Moments in DC Comics | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net

And THIS list will tell you why many who were in to comics in the 90"s lean towards DC and think Marvel is a mess.

Top 10 Worst Moments in Marvel Comics | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net

Or something. Whatever, just 2 interesting lists and I noticed how much of the DC stuff was mid-late 2000"s and Marvel was 90"s and late 2000"s.